Book of the Month - Merged

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Notice: June is the last month I'm running the Book Club and I'm looking for a replacement. Contact me in a private message if you're interested.

We're going to break format this month and bring back all of the third place books from previous month's for June.

1) January: Red Shirts by Jon Scalzi

Red+Shirts.jpg

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It?s a prestige posting, with the chance to serve on "Away Missions" alongside the starship?s famous senior officers.

Life couldn?t be better?until Andrew begins to realize that 1) every Away Mission involves a lethal confrontation with alien forces, 2) the ship?s senior officers always survive these confrontations, and 3) sadly, at least one low-ranking crew member is invariably killed. Unsurprisingly, the savvier crew members belowdecks avoid Away Missions at all costs.

Then Andrew stumbles on information that transforms his and his colleagues? understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is?and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

2) February: Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden

rrr_img_26977.jpg

Published as 'Wolf of the Plains' in Australia, this is an action-packed story of Temujin-Uge and his making as Ghengis Khan. Conn Iggulden advises that he used an English translation (from Chinese) of 'The Secret History of the Mongols' as his chief source.

Mongolia was, and remains, a harsh place. Genghis Khan forged an empire by uniting Mongol tribes. This novel is about the boy who became the man, and the vision and blood debts that motivated and sustained him.

No doubt, some readers will find the story brutal. It is. But at the same time, it creates a wonderful backdrop against which to view the emergence of the Mongol empire. In short, it brings the figure of Genghis Khan to life.

I understand that this is the first of a series on Genghis Khan and his descendants. I look forward to reading the next book.

'Tell them that I am Genghis and I will ride'

Highly recommended.

3) March: Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae by Steven Pressfield

rrr_img_26978.jpg

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
Thus reads an ancient stone at Thermopylae in northern Greece, the site of one of the world's greatest battles for freedom. Here, in 480 B.C., on a narrow mountain pass above the crystalline Aegean, 300 Spartan knights and their allies faced the massive forces of Xerxes, King of Persia. From the start, there was no question but that the Spartans would perish. In Gates of Fire, however, Steven Pressfield makes their courageous defense--and eventual extinction--unbearably suspenseful.

In the tradition of Mary Renault, this historical novel unfolds in flashback. Xeo, the sole Spartan survivor of Thermopylae, has been captured by the Persians, and Xerxes himself presses his young captive to reveal how his tiny cohort kept more than 100,000 Persians at bay for a week. Xeo, however, begins at the beginning, when his childhood home in northern Greece was overrun and he escaped to Sparta. There he is drafted into the elite Spartan guard and rigorously schooled in the art of war--an education brutal enough to destroy half the students, but (oddly enough) not without humor: "The more miserable the conditions, the more convulsing the jokes became, or at least that's how it seems," Xeo recalls. His companions in arms are Alexandros, a gentle boy who turns out to be the most courageous of all, and Rooster, an angry, half-Messenian youth.

Pressfield's descriptions of war are breathtaking in their immediacy. They are also meticulously assembled out of physical detail and crisp, uncluttered metaphor:

The forerank of the enemy collapsed immediately as the first shock hit it; the body-length shields seemed to implode rearward, their anchoring spikes rooted slinging from the earth like tent pins in a gale. The forerank archers were literally bowled off their feet, their wall-like shields caving in upon them like fortress redoubts under the assault of the ram.... The valor of the individual Medes was beyond question, but their light hacking blades were harmless as toys; against the massed wall of Spartan armor, they might as well have been defending themselves with reeds or fennel stalks.
Alas, even this human barrier was bound to collapse, as we knew all along it would.

"War is work, not mystery," Xeo laments. But Pressfield's epic seems to make the opposite argument: courage on this scale is not merely inspiring but ultimately mysterious.

4) April: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

rrr_img_26979.jpg

The New York Times bestseller and international classic loved by millions of readers.

The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons?their love, their sacrifices, their lies.

A sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years, The Kite Runner is an unusual and powerful novel that has become a beloved, one-of-a-kind classic.

5) May: Sandstorm by James Rollins

rrr_img_26980.jpg

Nationally bestselling author James Rollins has transported readers to the dark heart of the Amazon, the bowels of the earth, far below the ocean, and the top of the world. Now he embarks upon his most gripping and terrifying adventure yet: to a nightmare buried beneath a treacherous desert wasteland.

An inexplicable explosion rocks the antiquities collection of a London museum?a devastating blast that sets off alarms in clandestine organizations around the world, as the race begins to determine how it happened, why it happened, and what it means.

Lady Kara Kensington's family paid a high price in money and blood to found the gallery that now lies in ruins. And her search for answers is about to lead Kara and her friend Safia al-Maaz, the gallery's brilliant and beautiful curator, into a world they never dreamed actually existed. For new evidence exposed by the tragedy suggests that Ubar, a lost city buried beneath the Arabian desert, is more than mere legend . . . and that something astonishing is waiting there.

Two extraordinary women and their guide, the international adventurer Omaha Dunn, are not the only ones being drawn to the desert. Former U.S. Navy SEAL Painter Crowe, a covert government operative and head of an elite counterespionage team, is hunting down a dangerous turncoat, Crowe's onetime partner, to retrieve the vital information she has stolen. And the trail is pointing him toward Ubar.

But the many perils inherent in a death-defying trek deep into the savage heart of the Arabian Peninsula pale before the nightmarish secrets to be unearthed at journey's end. What is hidden below the sand is more than a valuable relic of ancient history. It is an ageless power that lives and breathes?an awesome force that could create a utopia or tear down everything humankind has built during millennia of civilization. Many lives have already been destroyed by ruthless agencies dedicated to guarding its mysteries and harnessing its might. And now the end may be at hand for Safia, for Kara, for Crowe, and for all the interlopers who wish to expose its mysteries, as it prepares to unleash the most terrible storm of all . . .

Red+Shirts.jpg

rrr_img_26977.jpg

rrr_img_26978.jpg

rrr_img_26979.jpg

rrr_img_26980.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Come on, GENGHIS KHAN! Please don't make me read a book about a little Afghan boy being raped.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
I really liked how he teased the parallels between Carax and Daniel. The two would drift together than you would say "but wait, Daniel doesn't know . . " The writer really sets the book well, and even through the translation, you really get a feel for Barcelona in the post-war period. Glad this was chosen.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Great book - also glad it was chosen because it's not something I would normally choose to pickup. Anytime I read a translation though I always wonder what was lost in the prose during the conversion.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_27696.jpg

Published as 'Wolf of the Plains' in Australia, this is an action-packed story of Temujin-Uge and his making as Ghengis Khan. Conn Iggulden advises that he used an English translation (from Chinese) of 'The Secret History of the Mongols' as his chief source.

Mongolia was, and remains, a harsh place. Genghis Khan forged an empire by uniting Mongol tribes. This novel is about the boy who became the man, and the vision and blood debts that motivated and sustained him.

No doubt, some readers will find the story brutal. It is. But at the same time, it creates a wonderful backdrop against which to view the emergence of the Mongol empire. In short, it brings the figure of Genghis Khan to life.

I understand that this is the first of a series on Genghis Khan and his descendants. I look forward to reading the next book.

'Tell them that I am Genghis and I will ride'

Highly recommended.

Posting schedule:

Book thread posted 1st of the month.
Reading begins 8th of the month.
Spoilers lifted 22nd of the month and next month's poll opens.

No posts from 1st-7th about the book or plot, can only post that you're participating.

rrr_img_27696.jpg

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Really enjoyed the story. Sad for Julian and Penelope, but that's part of what made it all so compelling.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I finished the other day and really enjoyed this book. I managed to figure out parts of the mystery before it was revealed, but of course not all of the details that we got. Similar to what some other people said, this really piqued my interest in post-WW2 Spanish history as well.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I read it. It is awesome. AWESOME. I really don't have any analysis to add, I just want to read the other books. And then put on the cold face.

edit: well, one thing I guess:

i have no idea the history behind Genghis Khan, so I am not sure if they are going to eventually take on the Chinese or not. The book seemed to set that up and simultaneously make it seem impossible. I'd love to see it, of course. Temujin is the fucking boss.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I forgot to start this when I finished King of Thorns. Started Control Point first. Wish I hadn't. Starting this tonight!

Seventh

Golden Squire
I started this last night and plowed through half of it before I had to force myself to put it down. This is great.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Just an update, I still have not found a replacement to run the book club going forward. So unless someone volunteers this will be the last month.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just an update, I still have not found a replacement to run the book club going forward. So unless someone volunteers this will be the last month.
If no one actually excited about it steps up I can try to keep it rolling. I make no promises about keeping shit on time or nicely organized like Himeo...

edit: What the fuck drunk Grimm volunteering sober Grimm for shit. Fuck that noise, someone who will give a shit step up for this.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
BUT IM SUPPOSED TO BE REREADING STUPID GURRM. Picking this up (I hate all of you).

Edit: Holy shit this is great.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Will finish this tonight, late, and be a bag of shit at work tomorrow because of it. I am not worried, because I will put on the cold face.

khalid

Unelected Mod
It is funny reading this and thinking about all the people complaining about the sexism and racism in Game of Thrones and ASOIAF.