Boxing

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I misunderstood the tweet. I thought he was saying that fury got knocked down and still won the round with 10 points on wiese's card. The first meaning I saw was the one that agreed with my preconceived notions.
Im not a big fan of boxing and think most sports are rigged but that fight you could tell the fighters were in lala land. Even when Wilder was standing as a zombie fury could have ate one punch and lost the fight he was ahead of. Fury could have just jab him and pulled a mayweather and didnt

Also give props to fury for being more american than most of the US

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fury is so goddamned awkward. As a person, a fighter, his physique, his style.... all of it. Even his stamina is strange. Coming in at a spry 277 lbs the guy still didnt get tired. its unbelievable. He has the best endurance of a HW I might have ever seen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Strongly recommend watching Fury vs Klitschko (who dominated heavyweight for a decade) - Fury just completely outsmarted Klitschko. He's an awkward athlete, but I'm willing to bet there's never been a more skilled 6'9 fighter in the history of humanity.

Klitschko was like 40 at the time and hadn't looked very good in his prior couple of fights before that.

Not taking anything away from Fury, but Klitschko was definitely past his prime at that point

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fury is so goddamned awkward. As a person, a fighter, his physique, his style.... all of it. Even his stamina is strange. Coming in at a spry 277 lbs the guy still didnt get tired. its unbelievable. He has the best endurance of a HW I might have ever seen.
He looks likes one of the sloppiest boxer and i always feel like hes going to Get KO'd. Hes definitely one of the hardest boxers to understand

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
He looks likes one of the sloppiest boxer and i always feel like hes going to Get KO'd. Hes definitely one of the hardest boxers to understand
When all Fury can do is hold onto Wilder and lean on him to prevent getting hit, it’s not far fetched to say what I did. When is Fury going to face that guy from Poland(?)? Guy just destroyed Anthony Joshua.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
When all Fury can do is hold onto Wilder and lean on him to prevent getting hit, it’s not far fetched to say what I did. When is Fury going to face that guy from Poland(?)? Guy just destroyed Anthony Joshua.
I realize you're probably just farming negs, but have you ever seen a boxing match before or was this your first?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Far fetched? No.

Fucking retarded? Absolutely

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

Honestly, it's Wilder's fault Tyson clinched.

Wilder is too one-dimensional. He wants to come forward and throw power while you're forced to backpedal in an attempt to avoid it. So you either play into that game and more than likely get destroyed, or you look for a way to counter what he does.

Wilder is so poor in the clinch...so bad at dirty boxing...that he just begs to get clinched up. By clinching and leaning on him, not only did Tyson tire him out, he was able to stay too close for Wilder to throw his power punches. And it's not like Tyson was just standing there doing nothing...he was throwing uppercuts and rabbit punches in there, too.

Wilder's size, KO power, and heart, are the only reasons he's made it as far as he has. He doesn't have the skills to get there otherwise. He isn't remotely well-rounded. And expecting Tyson to stand and trade bombs with him, instead of taking advantage of the holes in Wilder's game...that' just stupid.

Especially when Tyson has the reach and weight to nullify Wilder's reach and weight (watch the video at the end of my post).

If Wilder had been able to give as good as he got in close, then maybe Tyson would have been forced to try something else.

And let's be honest here, too: the HW division isn't remotely what it once was. Because if it was, Wilder would have been chum for the sharks. And the fact he even won a medal just tells you how shallow the field in the Olympics was. Has he improved since then? Sure. But Tyson just out-boxed him. They're just on two different levels.

Watch this video: it's Wilder losing this fight and getting his Bronze medal. And pay particular attention to the commentators rip him to shreds.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Klitschko was like 40 at the time and hadn't looked very good in his prior couple of fights before that.

Not taking anything away from Fury, but Klitschko was definitely past his prime at that point
Honestly, I don't think Klitschko was much different later in his career. Keep in mind he took Joshua to deep waters in a great fight right after that. I do understand the sentiment though, but he just got out-smarted by Fury. Wladimir, if anything, was actually a better fighter when he was more cautious and measured as an older fighter, than he was when he'd gas himself out and get KO'd by some underwhelming opponents in his, "athletic prime".
That wasn't Fury's cleanest fight. As I said, I thought Fury fought sorta dumb last night (his trainer seemed to agree yelling at him during every round). Fury is a stud though, he's awkward but superiorly skilled.

Usyk, from the Ukraine, will fight Anthony Joshua in a rematch in March and then the winner of that fight probably fights Fury middle of next summer - really unfortunate it will take that long. Might see a Fury vs. Whyte fight before that.

• 1Like

Jozu

If Wilder would have kept throwing the jab to stomach he could have kept his range.

Mayweathers stomach jab was one of his greatest weapons. Noy only did it prevent opponents from crowding him, but he also used it as a set up. Agaisnt Diego Corrales he used it beautifully, landing 4 consecutive body jabs, causing Corrales to block low after letting a few land.

He chambered up what looked like another annoying belly jab before quickly transitioning to a left hook upstairs, dropping Diego. It was one of the best diaplays of setting up your punches i ever seen.

Fury would have had to respect it, and he did when Wilder was using it in the first round.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If Wilder would have kept throwing the jab to stomach he could have kept his range.
wilder was already gas'd by the 2nd round, throwing a jab to the stomach takes a lot energy cuz you have to level change and squat

• 1Like

Jozu

Fair enough but how the fuck was the guy gassed out in 4 minutes?

Was it the fact he gained 7 lbs of muscle? Or was it big dumb Tyson Fury leaning on him for just a couple of minutes that sapped his entire stamina bar?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Wilder is so poor in the clinch...so bad at dirty boxing...that he just begs to get clinched up. By clinching and leaning on him, not only did Tyson tire him out, he was able to stay too close for Wilder to throw his power punches. And it's not like Tyson was just standing there doing nothing...he was throwing uppercuts and rabbit punches in there, too.

I noticed that in the previous fights. Serious question, is that legal in boxing? In the prior fights it looked like he was only doing it on the opposite side of the ref and the ref had to struggle to get them separated. But I couldn't tell if he ever got a warning for the few shots the ref could have seen.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Clinche work is highly dependent on the ref. Leaning on the opponent to wear them out and work the body with some close in dirty boxing is perfectly legit. its up to the opposing fighter to nullify any and all weapons. don't like getting clinched, work on that game or don't be so one dimensional fury can walk you down close the distance and wrap you up.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

H.A. Monkey

Golden Knight of the Realm
You guys sitting there acting like I’m a Wilder fan. I’ve watched enough boxing from the late 90’s through now that wen I say this fight was bleh, it was literally one of the most boring fights from a technical point. The ref kept telling Wilder to stop stop grabbing in the clinch. Dumbass ref didn’t see that Fury was grabbing under Wilders left arm to trap him there. And since Wilder has no technical skills and he knows it, attempting to get out of the clinch got him hit quite a few times. How many times did Fury attempt to get out of a clinch? Maybe once. It was all Fury pulling in to stop eating more bombs. And it looked like Fury was never setting anything up. Just had a better gas tank.

• 1Picard
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Moron

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I noticed that in the previous fights. Serious question, is that legal in boxing? In the prior fights it looked like he was only doing it on the opposite side of the ref and the ref had to struggle to get them separated. But I couldn't tell if he ever got a warning for the few shots the ref could have seen.
Rabbit punching and clinch work is one of the biggest "skills" a lot of fighters never work on. It isn't "legal" per se, but it's up to the fighter to stop it from occurring. Relying on refs to do it for you is never going to go well. Because even if they recognize it occurring, damage is being done before they "break" the action. Rarely do refs even warn it ("box it out, gentlemen!" is often the response), but I don't think I've EVER seen a ref take points for it, unless it's just completely blatant.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
That ref barely let them work in the clinch at all. If he lets them work, Fury stops that fight two rounds earlier. Wilder is not a pretty technical fighter, but he does some subtle things really well. He's actually best when he stays short with his punches, he's flawed, but I really do question if a guy like say, Usyk, could really keep Wilder away from him long-enough to survive.

Watch Bernard Hopkins & Andre Ward if you want masterclass clinch fighters.

Or this, if you want monstrous heavyweights fighting in the clinch for a full 12 rounds. This is almost Mark Hunt-Silva good in terms of action.