Breaking Bad

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finally got a chance to watch this. I originally watched season 1 when it premiered, but I ended up not keeping up because I was knee-deep in MMO raiding and lost touch with the show.

Best. Show. Ever.

I'm seriously wondering how I can watch other shows after this masterpiece. Really enjoyed the ending, it was good to see some vigilante justice before he went out. I've hypothesized that had Jesse not been in chains and had an emo haircut, he would've killed him too. I think in the end he realized he had turned into Gus and killing Jesse would give him nothing. Jesse not killing him was him finally breaking the chains Walt put on him.

10/10

Side note. Wife was extremely disappointed with the ending. She wanted Walt and Jesse to shake hands and walk off into the sunset together laughing it off while drinking cold beers. She watches stupid TV and this is what she wanted. BITCH.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Getting through the middle portion of the show was rough. For a time it seemed like the potential for greatness promised by S1 was never going to be realized. Especially when they follow fucking "Get out of my territory" (HOT DAMN!) with a third of a season of Walter being a bitch because Skylar leaves him. But you pushed through and you were able to enjoy the payoff, congratulations sir. That's how I felt when the show finally got out of the rut it mired itself into and reached goddamn legendary status.

That's funny though. At no point during the show would you ever think Walt and Jesse are going to become friends some day. They have like one seemingly normal conversation and at the end of it you see that Jesse was clutching a gun the entire time and literally shaking with relief because he thought for sure that Walter was there to kill him.

Just imagine the Jesse character as female and everything in the show becomes much more obvious. Their whole relationship is Lifetime Movie of the Week material. He gets off on treating Jesse like shit, on controlling him and being smarter than him. It's probably the most abusive relationship ever shown in a TV series. When Walter finally fucking mans up and shows that side of him to Skylar (*I* AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS) it's like a goddamn reward for putting up with her shit for all of S3.

Also, Jessie is a fucking idiot that gets his girlfriend killed TWICE.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I figured even from the beginning they'd never be friends. I had times where I thought something might bud, but then it was quickly followed up by Walt tilting his head slightly with spittle flying everywhere as he yelled at Jesse. My wife had some illusion that throughout the entire series Walt thought of him as a bestie.

The "I am the one who knocks" is going to go down as my favorite speech from any show ever.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
A son that he could control in every way and constantly shit on to assert his dominance. Remember, Walter feels like a complete failure because he fucked up his life and is now a ridiculously overqualified school teacher. And he so he loathes Jesse because he reflects his own failures. Jessie is an underachiever who doesn't give a shit, Walter is an underachiever who is super pissed about it. So he haaaaates the fact that Jesse doesn't seem to care.

spronk

FPS noob
gus fring will forever be one of the best bad guys on television, ranking up there with Omar, scorpius, Q, Ben Linus, etc.

Thats one of the things that sort of disappointed me in the end, the redneck nazi's were pretty lame compared to Gus or the Cartel but I guess the real antagonist was Jesse vs Walt or everyone vs Walt

interesting article this week from vince gilligan
Vince Gilligan on crafting 'Breaking Bad' ending, his favorite finale | Inside TV | EW.com

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Gus underestimated what Walter was capable of doing, but Walter underestimated the rednecks because he believed they were stupid. But stupid can get you fucked just as easily. The gang was all raw brutality with a complete lack of remorse. Gus could have just as easily chained Walter's ass to the floor and done the exact same thing. All of Gus's problems would have been solved. Stay here and cook your shit or we'll go kill your wife and kids. Gus's principles were his weakness. He chose to trick and outmaneuver Walter. Walter could do shit just as evil as anyone, but he had to think about it, to justify it. The rednecks had no such limitations, so that's why they were Walter's final nemesis.

Really though, he only gave a shit about them because he thought they were working for Jesse. Again, because he underestimated them.

But yeah, Gus was far more interesting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
gus fring will forever be one of the best bad guys on television, ranking up there with Omar, scorpius, Q, Ben Linus, etc.

Thats one of the things that sort of disappointed me in the end, the redneck nazi's were pretty lame compared to Gus or the Cartel but I guess the real antagonist was Jesse vs Walt or everyone vs Walt

interesting article this week from vince gilligan
Vince Gilligan on crafting 'Breaking Bad' ending, his favorite finale | Inside TV | EW.com
That's funny that they showed the scene with Walt and the m60 long before they knew wtf he was going to do with it. The whole BB community was theoryizing what he was going to do with it as the actual writers were.

I always assumed that in S3 or early in S4 they knew what the last episode would be and were just filling in the holes before then.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, sometimes that works out, sometimes.. not so much. (BSG, Lost...)
Lost does not deserve a mention in a thread about any good show. Fuck season 6 with an aids dick.

As for BB, I really did not get into it until the middle of Season 2. I even stopped watching it for over a year before some of the wife's coworkers convinced her to try it and we both got sucked in. One of the best shows ever.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
As for BB, I really did not get into it until the middle of Season 2. I even stopped watching it for over a year before some of the wife's coworkers convinced her to try it and we both got sucked in. One of the best shows ever.
Same here. I watched the first season and part of season two and didn't start watching it again until almost a year later. Once I got to season four I was power watching.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I enjoyed this show, but I had trouble liking it after that very early episode where Walt turns down a job offer from his old college buddy/co-founder that would have solved all his problems. I know Walt was prideful and it was complicated with his buddy's wife, him bailing out of the company before it got huge, and Walt's pride, but fuck. When he got offered the job and turned it down I was practically screaming at my TV for him to suck up his pride and put all that drama bullshit behind him; sure, the job was a pity offering, but Walt is a brilliant chemist who could have done great things in the company and been a true asset, while simultaneously getting top notch treatment for his cancer and making a great salary to support his family.

For the rest of the show I kept thinking back to that one stupid decision Walt made, and how great his life would have been if he hadn't turned the job offer down. It really ruined the show for me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
To be fair, he sold his share of the company for like $5000.. he was making very stupid decisions a long time ago.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed this show, but I had trouble liking it after that very early episode where Walt turns down a job offer from his old college buddy/co-founder that would have solved all his problems. I know Walt was prideful and it was complicated with his buddy's wife, him bailing out of the company before it got huge, and Walt's pride, but fuck. When he got offered the job and turned it down I was practically screaming at my TV for him to suck up his pride and put all that drama bullshit behind him; sure, the job was a pity offering, but Walt is a brilliant chemist who could have done great things in the company and been a true asset, while simultaneously getting top notch treatment for his cancer and making a great salary to support his family.

For the rest of the show I kept thinking back to that one stupid decision Walt made, and how great his life would have been if he hadn't turned the job offer down. It really ruined the show for me.
Walt's pride and how it fucked him was an important part of the show. I do agree with how stupid that decision was though. All throughout the show people were hoping to see the backstory behind Walt selling his share of the company, partially because it would make that decision to reject a job more believable.