British TV Comedies

Devlin

Golden Squire
Peep show is awesome.

Blackadder is good from season 2 onwards, season 1 is dogshit.

The League of Gentleman... I don't know if it would translate well to the US, lot of people here don't even get it, hell I loved it but I don't really get a lot of what the fuck it means, it's very dark.

Some stuff like Keith Lemon and even Brass Eye I just don't know if you guys would like them, they're sort of specifically English.

Isengard_sl

shitlord
My local PBS used to play an array of Brit sitcoms from the late 80s thru the mid 90s Saturdays and Sundays. It was a great and glorious way to let a hangover subside. There were several good shows, but I can only remember 'Father Ted' and 'Ab Fab'.

In trying to remember the other shows, I came across a nice database compiling all Brit sitcoms since 1936. If you have the time and are fond of a particular time period of sitcom history and want a new show, check it out as the site is broken up into categories by year:

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/year/
Father Ted is awesome! As is Black Books and Spaced. How do you want me is very nice too. Can QI be included in britcom?

Other brit shows: Shameless (great!), James May's Man Lab, Jekyll (6 episodes, but very much advisable), Psychoville, Antiques Roadshow and other antique shows alike (Antiques to the Rescue, Flog it!, Bargain Hunt, etc.), all the Heston Blumenthal shows, The Baker Brothers and Gordon Ramsay's uk shows are pretty decent too.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
3rd season of Idiot Abroad is only 3 episodes long, but it had me laughing all the way through.

Warwick Davies and Karl Pilkington together is just perfect. Definitely worth a watch.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yup, already finished it. Was sad it was only 3 episodes, because Warwick is definitely one of my favorite actors, but the hotel rooms they got put in were great. Ricky Gervais is a hilarious asshole.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The League of Gentleman... I don't know if it would translate well to the US, lot of people here don't even get it, hell I loved it but I don't really get a lot of what the fuck it means, it's very dark.
It's a documentary about North England.

No seriously, it's not that dark. Just a lot of good jokes about what happens when you have seperate isolated cities within a country. In the US they should remake it about the "South" here.

Devlin

Golden Squire
It's a documentary about North England.

No seriously, it's not that dark. Just a lot of good jokes about what happens when you have seperate isolated cities within a country. In the US they should remake it about the "South" here.
Jesus, if the league of gentleman isn't dark then I don't know what is, the majority of the characters are psychopaths or straight up serial killers.

Even the ones that aren't are such grotesques that they're still horrific.

I did fucking love it and own all of it but it is pretty fucking random. It's more Monty Python than Monty Python.

I still think it's very very English humour, I can't think of anything similar from the US.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I watched Veep the other day and enjoyed it a little bit, but someone mentioned The Thick of It was by the same guy and I've plowed through almost the entire series in the last week. Really can't recommend it enough.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Couple of my favorites: Big Train and The Sketch Show - both pacy, sharp and (imo) funny. Both have a few familiar faces as well.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Still patiently waiting for the final season of Peep Show
alan-johnson.jpg

rasstapp_sl

shitlord
I grew up on these two British series

Keeping Up Appearances - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and'Allo 'Allo! - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia!

Somewhat old, but still funny. A bit more family friendly, you can even watch with your mom without being too embarrassed. Some of the dialogues absolutely filthy and loaded with innuendo. I thought it was good growing up, but as an adult it's even better. Especially Allo' Allo', love that show. It's very silly though.

A newer series is Bad Education, some great characters and pretty funny overall

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Did anyone watch any Alan Partridge yet? Alan Partridge and David Brent are probably the two most important British comedy characters of the last 25 years.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
First episode of the final season of Peep Show is out!

Happiness combined with sadness.

i've been watching peep show / alan partridge. fucking hilarious. i think im up to season 5 or 6 of peep show. hands down one of the best shows i've ever seen. the humor combined with twisted, dark introspection is spot on. as the brits say, "fucking brilliant!"

i vaguely remember seeing peep show, or at least a commercial for it, on comedy central in the early 2000's.

Column_sl

shitlord
Pretty much anything with Steve Coogan is sharp. Been Watching his Alan Partridge specials for around a decade.

The last Red Dwarf season was really funny, and they started shooting the new season today.

If you like Chris Barrie The Brittas Empire is good. It's kind of the same premise as Fawlty towers.

Man I'm pissed the IT crowd didn't go on longer. Those two actors that left for american movies never really did anything so maybe we will eventually get another season.

If you don't mind old sitcoms, I would check out Men Behaving Badly. That show is a classic