Buying a car?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I like the look also, but kind of did a double take when they said there would be a 4-cylinder turbo model. Not a Mustang or muscle car enthusiast but that just feels.... wrong?

Regarding purchasing a car: it just seems very obvious that the industry hasn't at all adapted to the internet or information available. Car buyers probably aren't taking full advantage of it yet either which may not force dealerships to alter their methods. The whole "let me go talk to my sales manager" back and forth wheeling and dealing concept is antiquated when I can visit any number of sites online and figure out what the cars are being sold for across the U.S. And besides if you, the sales guy, can't give me the price I'm looking for why am I wasting my time talking to you? I had a great experience this go around at Mazda. The guys were relatively young and didn't want to waste time going back and forth. Our local Ford dealership was nothing but 60 year old white guys that looked like they've been selling cars for 40 years and were about the most unfriendly and sleazy people I've tried to work with.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My understanding is that Ford is modeling all of their cars to a more "global" standard. It's already happened with the Escape and the Focus and the Fiesta. When we test drove an Escape we commented on how small it was and the dealer told us that the majority of Ford's cars will be conforming to this type of design in the next 5 years.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
You can still get a V8 Mustang if that's what tickles your pickle. I think the 4cyl turbo engine will put out more horsepower than the Cobras from the 90's.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
This is more a selling than buying question, but if I sell a vehicle privately to another person do I keep the plates or do they go with the vehicle? I've never had to sell anything before.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
This is more a selling than buying question, but if I sell a vehicle privately to another person do I keep the plates or do they go with the vehicle? I've never had to sell anything before.
That depends on the state. In TX the plates go with the car.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ok, didnt know that. I did not consider states having different laws regarding plates.

nescio_sl

shitlord
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a used car in the atlanta area. I'm looking to spend around $10K. I've been driving a 98 civic for the past 10 years and I'm looking for something similar. I've mostly been looking at Mazda 3s and hyundia elantras / accents.

I found these 2 private sellers on autotrader, but they seem too good to be true? 10k miles for $11,000?

Cars for Sale: 2012 Mazda MAZDA3 i Touring in Loganville, GA 30052: Sedan Details - 358955794 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 2012 Mazda MAZDA3 i Sedan in Atlanta, GA 30319: Sedan Details - 358747683 - AutoTrader.com

and this was the car i was thinking about from the dealership: 1 previous owner

Cars for Sale: 2006 Mazda MAZDA3 s Hatchback in Atlanta, GA 30341: Hatchback Details - 360754694 - AutoTrader.com

Thanks for any insight, I just started looking this week so any tips or advice are welcome.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Those 2012 Mazdas are fine prices. Go for about 13k at a dealership, so that's definitely a fair price.

The '06 is wildly overpriced.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rented a Kia Rio a few years ago (was an 08 model I think) and I hated it, everything in the interior felt supremely cheap and the engine had all sorts of strange torque spikes, not smooth at all. Did have pretty decent AC though.

I do often read that the newer models are better, never driven one though.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Kia and Hyundai have made some pretty huge steps in the last 5 years. I wouldn't buy one that's older than a 2011 or so, but the new ones are pretty decent vehicles.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Kia Optima is a very nice looking vehicle. Never driven one. Somebody on this board bought an Optima Hybrid earlier this year I thought, not sure who though...

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Kia and Hyundai have made some pretty huge steps in the last 5 years. I wouldn't buy one that's older than a 2011 or so, but the new ones are pretty decent vehicles.
Kia/Hyundai are completely awful if you are a car snob, but amazing if you just want a car to go from point A-B without breaking on you. I'm a bit biased though because I only will ever buy Japanese and well, close enough.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My wife loves her 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe, we've had it for about 6 months now. Honestly, the interior and ride are better than my Ford Escape, and its bigger and cheaper than my Escape was. We'll see how it holds up...

Crell_sl

shitlord
Kia/Hyundai are completely awful if you are a car snob, but amazing if you just want a car to go from point A-B without breaking on you. I'm a bit biased though because I only will ever buy Japanese and well, close enough.
I have a 02' Hyundai Elantra. Very minimal upkeep, and the thing still runs great. Nothing fancy about it, but it's a very good commuter car. Worst thing wrong with it now are the CV joints are junk. But after 160k miles with that being the only "major" problem I think I did ok for a 12k car.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Coming from someone who has purchased Euro lux cars for my last 4 vehicles, even I have to admit Hyundai have come a long way over the last decade. I had a couple rentals over the last few years and have been fairly impressed. I would absolutely give them consideration if I were in the budget market.

Crell_sl

shitlord
Coming from someone who has purchased Euro lux cars for my last 4 vehicles, even I have to admit Hyundai have come a long way over the last decade. I had a couple rentals over the last few years and have been fairly impressed. I would absolutely give them consideration if I were in the budget market.
Only big downside of them, at least with mine, is the resale value is almost non-existant. Buy a Hyundai, and just run it till' it dies seems the mentality from people I know. Would more than likely get a slightly used Subaru next.