Camelot Unchained MMO

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The grinding is that bad. If you're not level 56 with 300+ gear you're dog meat.
Grinding isn't bad until you're enhancing Liverto stuff or accessories. Yeah it's not bad until you fail 3 PRI MoS in a row with 37 failstacks. Then it becomes very, very bad.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Grinding isn't bad until you're enhancing Liverto stuff or accessories. Yeah it's not bad until you fail 3 PRI MoS in a row with 37 failstacks. Then it becomes very, very bad.
Which from what Ive seen by first hand accounts - is driving people away from that game in droves. Its just an absurd system to a lot of people, and I agree.

Axamander

N00b
Those people are self-defeating. A factional PvP system gives them a slight-taste of a guild that is duller than being in an anonymous zerg guild. It acts as a crutch that prevents them from being forced to join a community, but doesn't give them the real MMO experience of being part of one. Sure some people just want to play a game, see what it is, experience the content and move on, but these types of people don't make a successful game because they're out in two months.
Nice the 'real' MMO experience huh? Still stands that people had the 'real' MMO experience and still went to Trammel.

I think the main problem is that no one wants to spend the money to create the game that you want because outside of a very dedicated niche it just doesn't sell all that well.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
I think the main problem is that no one wants to spend the money to create the game that you want because outside of a very dedicated niche it just doesn't sell all that well.
Games with PvP as the focus, whether it's factional or FFA, are always severely lacking in other aspects. They appeal only to that niche, and that's largely the reason they inevitably die off (e.g. SB, DF, etc.)

Speaking for myself, the game I'd want is onenotdesigned around PvP at all, but allows for it nonetheless. Just like UO did. The problems that arise in this environment can be solved without teams or Trammel.

It's time for someone to take another shot at it.

Axamander

N00b
Games with PvP as the focus, whether it's factional or FFA, are always severely lacking in other aspects. They appeal only to that niche, and that's largely the reason they inevitably die off (e.g. SB, DF, etc.)

Speaking for myself, the game I'd want is onenotdesigned around PvP at all, but allows for it nonetheless. Just like UO did. The problems that arise in this environment can be solved without teams or Trammel.

It's time for someone to take another shot at it.
SB was a stillbirth and DF was a pos on arrival. You said so yourself about DF.

UO launched with their bounty system. PVP was more than just 'allowed.' It had mechanics in place. People still left the PVP areas given a choice.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
UO was one of the first major IP MMOs out. It released before EQ and there were no other options. It also existed before the FFA vs RVR camps had been set up. Trammel came years down the line and when it came people left the FFA PVP areas. I use it to illustrate a point.

MMO's are expensive and publishers are conservative.
What point? Some people like some shit and other people like different shit? I just said FFS pvp is better when you have good guild/alliance tools to use. You jumped in like it's 2002 and there are only 5 MMOs ever.

Axamander

N00b
What point? Some people like some shit and other people like different shit? I just said FFS pvp is better when you have good guild/alliance tools to use. You jumped in like it's 2002 and there are only 5 MMOs ever.
No I used 2002 as an example of the rate of preference of people at large when the situation was much more distilled. The PVP areas in UO were deserted post Trammel. It's not the near 50-50 split like you imply with the above characterization. Also to note is that push come to shove you'll hold your nose and play the RVR while the reverse is not true by and large.

FFA PVP caters to zerging is why I don't like it personally.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
FFA PVP caters to zerging is why I don't like it personally.
That's not a function of FFA; that's a function of the larger group having the advantage in practically every open-world PVP scenario in every MMO game. Because of combat and logistic mechanics. Thought experiment: the great generals of the past would have brought how many men to battle assuming they didn't have to feed, shelter, and equip them...?All that they could.

Eve has done something interesting with Wormhole space: the zone boundaries between systems don't allow for endless transitions, they have a mass limit, so you can't bring your 1000 buddies to a 100 man fight.

This doesn't let small groups actually compete, mind you -- it just lets them keep their head above water. I share your distaste for large scale PVP, but that may be mostly because while the game mechanics allow and encourage zergs, it doesn't actually do anything toprovide for multiple objectivesandrequiresmall unit-leadership to accomplish multiple goals. Most of the time it's just faggotry with tons of people following one guy and just attacking whatever target he calls. It's trash and there is so much more work that could be done in this space.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Pvp mmos need to create some strategy elements. Like BDOs node system. Flip it so a guild/alliance needs to own nodes and build them up to attack others. Essentially forcing pvp to have supply lines that you also have to protect.

Lots of other systems need to work but it's a macro idea. You'd have to level nodes to support more players in the area.

Axamander

N00b
That's not a function of FFA; that's a function of the larger group having the advantage in practically every open-world PVP scenario in every MMO game. Because of combat and logistic mechanics. Thought experiment: the great generals of the past would have brought how many men to battle assuming they didn't have to feed, shelter, and equip them...?All that they could.

Eve has done something interesting with Wormhole space: the zone boundaries between systems don't allow for endless transitions, they have a mass limit, so you can't bring your 1000 buddies to a 100 man fight.

This doesn't let small groups actually compete, mind you -- it just lets them keep their head above water. I share your distaste for large scale PVP, but that may be mostly because while the game mechanics allow and encourage zergs, it doesn't actually do anything toprovide for multiple objectivesandrequiresmall unit-leadership to accomplish multiple goals. Most of the time it's just faggotry with tons of people following one guy and just attacking whatever target he calls. It's trash and there is so much more work that could be done in this space.
I don't see how real combat strategic choice is relevant to what makes an entertaining game. Obviously it works.

I never said that I had a distaste for large scale combat. I said that FFA leads to zerg guilds winning them. WHO used to have large 250+ people battles and they were fun until the lag set in. The issue isn MMOs has been a technical issue handling all that rendering and calculating while not making it a slide show. They also put in mechanics to gate entry so that the sides were more or less even.

Axamander

N00b
Pvp mmos need to create some strategy elements. Like BDOs node system. Flip it so a guild/alliance needs to own nodes and build them up to attack others. Essentially forcing pvp to have supply lines that you also have to protect.

Lots of other systems need to work but it's a macro idea. You'd have to level nodes to support more players in the area.
CamelotUnchainedhas all those elements. They have islands and realms take over an island collectively but you and your guild will build the stuff on it to defend yourself. There are harvesting nodes and rather than humping back and forth from them you set up supply routes and defend them.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You mean they have some wank on paper that won't actually work they want it to if it ever gets built.

Edit:
That stuff could work but it would work better, imo, in a ffa environment. Faction balance has never worked well. Then again this game will be niche so with a smaller player base it might work.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b70fd...7234f1052a.jpg

i know one shouldnt knock it till they try it.. but i dont see this as being a good idea. granted its alpha (and the skybox/ui isnt final) and kudos for trying something diff but the pacing would almost have to be turn based.
body part resulting in wounds/snares/stuns is fine but this looks tedious.

more on combat: daoc had a pervasive combat ruleset that made it easy to understand whats going on. hitting someone interrupts their spellcasting for 3s. (it has issues..lack of visual feedback for some abilities: like needing a visual for the moc animation for the duration of abilityetc). CU spells having per-spell interupt hp is the next logical step in design. maybe they can make this work be limiting it to a specfic amount for a specfic type of spell.. otherwise to allow all spells arbitrary interupt values is going to take away from the binary gameplay that allows for better immediate gauging/feedback/comprehension that daoc has.

i imagine that beta will end of summer or sometime before it.

Axamander

N00b
You mean they have some wank on paper that won't actually work they want it to if it ever gets built.

Edit:
That stuff could work but it would work better, imo, in a ffa environment. Faction balance has never worked well. Then again this game will be niche so with a smaller player base it might work.
DAoC faction balance worked just fine with 3v3. Also they are not building a PVE world. They don't have to spend development time on quests and 5000 different mob models. There will be aggro NPCs but they are not central to progression and are more about holding territory.

What's never sold well? FFA. Darkfall, AoC, and Shadowbane all failed miserably. Even L2 took a shit in the NA market. EVE is all you have and it's a space sim.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
c44bf48e-ae98-4398-818f-847234f1052a.jpg

the pacing would almost have to be turn based. body part resulting in wounds/snares/stuns is fine but this looks tedious.
"Captain, we've sustained a direct hit to the helm. Head damage reported on deck 8. Sensors are offli-"
*muffled explosions*
"Torso shields are failing!"
"Engineering, reroute all power to the Left and Right Legs. Evasive maneuver Gamma Tau Phi Omicron on my mark."

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Easier system to manage is to just have friendly fire in your game. Fucks over the zergs, empowers the little guys. Much more interesting fights.