Camping tents

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What's a reliable brand for camping tents ? I have a shit tent I bought years ago which has held up alright, but was going to get something bigger for the Fam.

Four person (which usually translates to a 6 person tent amirite)

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Eureka tents are really nice. They last forever.

They range from your standard 1-2 man tent to your 5-6 family size to the extreme snow and weather tents.
They can get fairly pricey, but worth it if you go camping alot.
Maybe you can find a good deal on Amazon or your local camping gear store.

rrr_img_24110.jpg

rrr_img_24110.jpg

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Aww, I thought this was a back-country specialty tent discussion
frown.png

Anyway, for car and family camping don't go nuts. I bought a giant 10 person tent at walmart for like 120$

Something like this if you want separate rooms:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-x-11/16386306

Or they have others that are just one giant space. The one I had could easily fit 3 queen air mattresses. I use it for car camping and the likes cause it packs big and is fairly heavy.

This one is pretty badass looking too actually:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...ps-12/20531614

The bottom line is that any of them will last and be fine if you take good care of it. Once you get home clean it with mild soap and water, hang out side to dry(never dry this kind of material with anything hot) and then store dry somewhere. Mildew is the biggest killer of tents beyond stray sparks from the fire you put it next to!

frown.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That second 12 person one is fucking pimp! If youre gonna go camping might as well go in style, fuck. And its only $250.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I dunno man. Non-dome tents are a bit of work to set up.

I like to drink heavily while setting up the tent.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Oh, yeah I forgot you have to actually set that shit up, hehe. No wonder I dont camp.

Although I do have 2 boys that would probably really enjoy it. We do most of our summer trips to northern Michigan on the big lakes, we just rent cabins.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Up here in the Pacific Northwest you always have to worry about the possibility of rain, even in the middle of summer. So I like to spend a little bit money on something that I know is going to handle the weather.REI branded tentshave always been good to me and a lot of the car-camping versions are modual so you can buy add-ons to suit your needs. Try to find one tall enough that you can stand up straight in, you will be thankful for that.

rrr_img_24148.jpg

rrr_img_24148.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My shitty lil ozark must be about 10 years old now. As long as you bring a tarp, you can buy almost anything
wink.png

wink.png

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got an Alps Moutnaineering 2-person (effectively one person to me, but could be ok if its your woman in there with you) dome. Watch steepandcheap.com for a while and tents will pop up. Been a bunch in circulation lately.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That looks awesome but holy shit I bet its a pain in the ass to get setup.
What's the point? Most of the time if you are using that thing you might as well be renting cabins at where ever you are going I'd think.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whatever you get, make sure it has a solid rain fly... I went camping with some friends a few years ago, and one of them brought a huge Coleman. It looked nice when I was helping set the thing up, but the "rain fly" was awful and the tent flooded during a thunderstorm the first night. That's where dome's shine; worst case, cover it in a plain square tarp.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
When I go fishing way the heck up north every year we pack the biggest dang tarp you've ever seen. Without fail it will rain at least a couple nights so that big tarp gets stretched across all our tents.

Its a wonderful thing

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, having a huge tarp, enough ropes/bungees/ratchet straps, and someone willing/able to climb a tree or two can make even the shittiest weather bearable. I still remember a camping trip when I was 17 or 18 when we had a 50' x 50' tarp strung up 15 feet above our site. It rained for 3 days straight but we were still able to have a great time.

That said, tents have gotten so good these days that they should be pretty damn waterproof if they're set up properly.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless you get a dome, make sure you hold on to the instructions. That's where my friend went wrong; he didn't have the instructions. Those multi-room, two men and a boy required setups are impossible otherwise.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
That's why I love domestyle.

1. Chug beer
2. Bend poles through holes
3. See step 1