Car Buying Help

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yet, you can afford a BMW / Merc / Audi with the prices of some of these fully loaded US models. On the pick-up truck argument, you are sitting at $55k for an F-150 Platinum 4WD with ZERO OPTIONS selected! This is what I am talking about. How the F do you justify these prices?
Nobody pays MSRP for pickups? There are billboards in dallas offering like $15k off MSRP on certain trucks. Don't know if its F-150's or not.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Cad:
I bought a used cadillac off the local cadillac dealership
7 months later I notice quarter panel rust and ask them to fix it, no dice, get in touch with the guy who traded it in and he says yeah they've fixed that at least twice. But it's not on the carfax with the other stuff they did.
Can the previous owner give you a copy of the receipt for the quarter panel work? You could take that to the dealer.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So ill be on the market fora new car very soon.
I had a Toyota, and I was left with a very good impression of japanese cars. So ill maybe stay with Toyota or Honda.
Are the crossovers any good?

Vinen

God is dead
Yet, you can afford a BMW / Merc / Audi with the prices of some of these fully loaded US models. On the pick-up truck argument, you are sitting at $55k for an F-150 Platinum 4WD with ZERO OPTIONS selected! This is what I am talking about. How the F do you justify these prices?
There are white trash with a lot of money also.

I'd also suspect the F150 Platinum is better at pulling larger loads than other models. Reaching at straws now. I can't think of any other functional reason.

Rich White guy ain't pulling his sailboat to the dock with a S6.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Down the road from my subdivision is a trailer park and the cars parked there are like 30k+ cars. You'd expect they'd be driver a beater like my old ass Honda Civic but they all seem to have newer model nice cars. It is strange but I've never been one to put much emphasis on my ride. I suppose others prefer the outward appearance of wealth. Most houses in my subdivision are ~210k and there are tons of people that drive BMW/Audi/Acura/Lexus and all that. Seems strange to me to drive a car that is like 20% of your house.

Vinen

God is dead
Down the road from my subdivision is a trailer park and the cars parked there are like 30k+ cars. You'd expect they'd be driver a beater like my old ass Honda Civic but they all seem to have newer model nice cars. It is strange but I've never been one to put much emphasis on my ride. I suppose others prefer the outward appearance of wealth. Most houses in my subdivision are ~210k and there are tons of people that drive BMW/Audi/Acura/Lexus and all that. Seems strange to me to drive a car that is like 20% of your house.
Depends where you live? If I was in NH right now I'd be rocking some $100K USD or more car. (and a hour commute)

$200K is a down payment for many people in the Boston area.

Almost /slitwrist when a co-worker just bought a 3000 sqft new house for ~300 when my wife and I paid twice as much...

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
~42k (tax, tag, title, etc) loan @3% for 72 months (national average rate) is about $4k in interest payments. Makes even less sense!

Yay for a society that lives in debt?
A tonof people in wv shop by payment amount.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
~42k (tax, tag, title, etc) loan @3% for 72 months (national average rate) is about $4k in interest payments. Makes even less sense!

Probably even less than that. For a few years there, there was a ton of negotiating room for dealer financing. When I bought my last car (3 or 4 years ago now) I went in pre-approved from my credit union for a 4 year at 2.5% and the dealer came back at my for up to 6 years at 0.9%. Oh, the dealer's first offer was for 8% though, sheisty bastards.

Maybe it's still even the case, I dunno.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dealer called back and said they would honor the worst case price and charge me 3400, 3650 after tax... a reduction of $300.

Nope.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

My X5 is financed because the BMW dealer gave me 0% financing. My other cars were cash. I don't see how you don't take 0% financing though. Really anything under 2% and they're not even outrunning inflation, you should finance that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So ill be on the market fora new car very soon.
I had a Toyota, and I was left with a very good impression of japanese cars. So ill maybe stay with Toyota or Honda.
Are the crossovers any good?
New or new to you? What price range? What commute/use for the vehicle? What would you buy if you could afford anything, but obviously you had to use it for those same things?

To be honest, the Japanese are largely falling behind Euro for luxury and domestic for value in a lot of segments, much less KDM. A ton of JDM models in dire need of refresh. In fact some are finally getting them this year or next, here's to you civic...

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably even less than that. For a few years there, there was a ton of negotiating room for dealer financing. When I bought my last car (3 or 4 years ago now) I went in pre-approved from my credit union for a 4 year at 2.5% and the dealer came back at my for up to 6 years at 0.9%. Oh, the dealer's first offer was for 8% though, sheisty bastards.

Maybe it's still even the case, I dunno.
My X5 is financed because the BMW dealer gave me 0% financing. My other cars were cash. I don't see how you don't take 0% financing though. Really anything under 2% and they're not even outrunning inflation, you should finance that.
I took 3% as the national average for a 72 month loan according to Bankrate.com

It's difficult to compare dealer pricing, as they just charge you more for the vehicle and lure you in with APR figures. They get their money and you are paying them whether you want to call it "interest" or inflated loan principle.

opiate82

Bronze Squire

It's difficult to compare dealer pricing, as they just charge you more for the vehicle and lure you in with APR figures. They get their money and you are paying them whether you want to call it "interest" or inflated loan principle.
I hear what you are saying, and yes if you don't do your homework and/or suck at negotiating the dealer will get you there. But whatever the dealers are able to sell the new cars for is going to have a direct impact on the used car market. So I suppose you could infer that dealers luring in customers with low APRs allowing them to sell new cars for an inflated asking price is (in part) causing a surge in used car pricing as well.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I hear what you are saying, and yes if you don't do your homework and/or suck at negotiating the dealer will get you there. But whatever the dealers are able to sell the new cars for is going to have a direct impact on the used car market. So I suppose you could infer that dealers luring in customers with low APRs allowing them to sell new cars for an inflated asking price is (in part) causing a surge in used car pricing as well.
It's definitely about the used car market, specifically subprime loans.

I'm glad I have good credit.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

I negotiated the purchase price and financing separately, this isn't my first car purchase.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Cad, I don't think he was talking about you specifically. Hodj isn't here, it's OK. This is a safe space.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Cad, I don't think he was talking about you specifically. Hodj isn't here, it's OK. This is a safe space.
rrr_img_104290.png

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
New or new to you? What price range? What commute/use for the vehicle? What would you buy if you could afford anything, but obviously you had to use it for those same things?

To be honest, the Japanese are largely falling behind Euro for luxury and domestic for value in a lot of segments, much less KDM. A ton of JDM models in dire need of refresh. In fact some are finally getting them this year or next, here's to you civic...
Hopefully new. Im a very cheap, person. While i do like watching nice cars, I'm more than happy with a non luxury car. The cars i droven in my past are. Lada 2105, Bronco II 1990, celica 1989, Acura LS 1990, Corolla LE 2005. Until the corolla everything was 10 years or older.

Im debating new vs 1-2 year old used. If I want a nice package with electronics, the cost for it will be astronomical.