Car Buying Help

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There is no advantage to full-time AWD over part-time, as long as the part time actually kicks in during a timely manner (the newest version of haldex is very fast, so fast that I honestly couldn't tell the difference in the snow/slush between my Evo and My A3... it's that good.

And just because it's full-time doesn't make it good... 335 x-drive is 60/40 mechanical full-time awd... and it was absolutely atrocious and unpredictable in bad weather.
I'm sure this is true on some more modern designs. The problem is torque vectoring vehicles I've tried by and large tend to be 'win more' drive trains where they will help where you could probably correct with the right vehicle inputs (or had proper tires) but they were largely impotent in bad situations where you just need the power. Traction and stability controls in general are unfortunately only as useful as their inputs and they still lack in a lot of ways. Between ABS and traction control they've probably tried to kill me more often than any other car issue...

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
I just wish I'd jumped on some of the trucks I like now a few years back before they ask became overpriced status symbol SUVs. I understand the raptor pricing, but for a no thrills crew cab even before an appearance trim is getting to crazy prices. For the money I could get a nice mustang or a gti and miss the air out of it vs the 45k modest truck. If I was single and young again I could have done the express single cab basic truck with a good engine that still seem to go for good prices since no one wants them.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I just wish I'd jumped on some of the trucks I like now a few years back before they ask became overpriced status symbol SUVs. I understand the raptor pricing, but for a no thrills crew cab even before an appearance trim is getting to crazy prices. For the money I could get a nice mustang or a gti and miss the air out of it vs the 45k modest truck. If I was single and young again I could have done the express single cab basic truck with a good engine that still seem to go for good prices since no one wants them.
Go old for trucks. 1965 to 1979. For under $5,000 you can get a daily driver fix-r-upper, for $10,000 you can get a restored daily driver.
rrr_img_103919.jpg

Love mine.

Vinen

God is dead
Go old for trucks. 1965 to 1979. For under $5,000 you can get a daily driver fix-r-upper, for $10,000 you can get a restored daily driver.
rrr_img_103919.jpg

Love mine.
I just want a late 80s early 90s Red Ford Pickup once I own a place I can park a third car. So annoying to have to rent a uhaul for slightly oversized shit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think it would be fun to get an older F series, put an EB V6 powertrain into it along with a modern suspension, basically like the EBV6/raptor swap conversions. Put in a modern dash and the smaller passenger space would be cheap as hell to get reupholstered. Would be a fun project one day.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I just want a late 80s early 90s Red Ford Pickup once I own a place I can park a third car. So annoying to have to rent a uhaul for slightly oversized shit.
Or just put a hitch on your car and haul a light trailer. Owning an extra vehicle for that once a year trip to carry some plywood and lumber is just wasteful.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I think it's a fine idea. Pretty much what I got the F150 for -- home depot runs and learning a bit more about old mechanics.

I think pre 85 is a good bet. the eletronics aren't intrusive.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have a 3k beater truck and it's pretty nice in wv. Parking and insurance suck but i damn sure wouldn't want to rent something and double the trip every time i need a few boards.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Cad:
I bought a used cadillac off the local cadillac dealership
7 months later I notice quarter panel rust and ask them to fix it, no dice, get in touch with the guy who traded it in and he says yeah they've fixed that at least twice. But it's not on the carfax with the other stuff they did. So they fix it for me. Now a year later the transmission goes out I've had my car towed in after they gave me a max repair price of 3400 over the phone and have changed it to 3900 2 hours later i want to ream the fuckers.

Do you think i can ream. Statue of limitations is 2 years for fraud in wv, i think discovery would apply and that was 14 months ago.
Fraud would depend on your demonstrating they knew about certain issues, had a duty to disclose them, and didn't. Just because the previous owner knew about it doesn't mean the dealer did. They deliberately will not ask you anything when you trade cars in. And even if they did know I'm not sure they have a duty to disclose.

Just because something breaks after you bought a car, doesn't mean the dealer is responsible. Mostly they are as-is and caveat emptor unless the previous rules apply (or the dealer attempted to conceal the defect).

You'll be in small claims so statute of limitations shouldn't be a big deal, but usually discovery rule gives you a short period after discovery to bring suit. So I'd do it fast if you're going to do it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The previous owner says they did know about it and claimed they would have to fix it before they could sell it as it was a huge argument for him too.

I think the fact that they put oil changes etc in the carfax but nothing about bodywork when they do that in house in damning.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, vehicle pricing still eludes me. Since 2008 and the Great Recession, it would be generous to say that salaries have remained fairly stagnant. Yet, somehow car prices have skyrocketed. The newest gen BMW X5 is about 10k over the previous gen similarly equipped. My Land Rover is about 8k more expensive now vs a few years ago (same generation!), Pickup Trucks just do not make any sense anymore. It seems they are all 40k and up for a Crew and 4WD. What happened to $25k for a decent F150 / equivalent?

How the fuck do people afford these things?

Vinen

God is dead
Yea, vehicle pricing still eludes me. Since 2008 and the Great Recession, it would be generous to say that salaries have remained fairly stagnant. Yet, somehow car prices have skyrocketed. The newest gen BMW X5 is about 10k over the previous gen similarly equipped. My Land Rover is about 8k more expensive now vs a few years ago (same generation!), Pickup Trucks just do not make any sense anymore. It seems they are all 40k and up for a Crew and 4WD. What happened to $25k for a decent F150 / equivalent?

How the fuck do people afford these things?
People who could afford a BMW didn't have their wages stagnate.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People who could afford a BMW didn't have their wages stagnate.
Yet, you can afford a BMW / Merc / Audi with the prices of some of these fully loaded US models. On the pick-up truck argument, you are sitting at $55k for an F-150 Platinum 4WD with ZERO OPTIONS selected! This is what I am talking about. How the F do you justify these prices?