Car Insurance

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Helps to have shitty old cars too. We pay $88/month combined for pretty much the same coverage joeboo listed on a 2000 civic and 2003 accent.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I pay $49 per car per month for my car insurance. It is bundled with my homeowners insurance so I'm sure I get a discount there. I also pay in 2 lump sums a year which gives me 1 month for free. This is for a 2010 Ford Fusion and a 2013 Ford Explorer. I was paying probably $200 less a year before we got the Explorer (replaced a 2003 corolla)

joeboo, do insurance companies lower rates if you drive less for work? I've been with the same company for 3 years now and when I signed up they asked me how far I drove for work. I'm about to switch jobs where I'll be taking the train so my ~50 mile round trip commute is about to go to about 5 miles round trip. Same with my wife who'll be staying at home next year.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Moved one zip code over to our new town, both of our car insurances dropped by $400/year each.

Tarrant. SHIT!

Hopefully something like that is covered for you, somehow.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm waiting on the appraiser to call me, he/she is supposed to go to the impound lot and look it over. No way it doesn't get totaled. (hopefully)

Insurance said they are going to go after her for everything, including the deductible (if it's not totaled out)

Biggest Fuck You I got out of this was I had a shit ton of stuff my kids had made me over the years I had in a closet that I was going to put in storage that is now destroyed. 10 years worth of memories gone.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Ouch, add insult to injury with the kid stuff.

Yeah, I really don't think that car is anything but toast. It was exposed to intense heat, so who knows how much wiring and how many components and so forth are totally fried. And some of that is shit you wouldn't find for a while, possibly. If they don't total it, ask for a second appraiser to look at it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
joeboo, do insurance companies lower rates if you drive less for work? I've been with the same company for 3 years now and when I signed up they asked me how far I drove for work. I'm about to switch jobs where I'll be taking the train so my ~50 mile round trip commute is about to go to about 5 miles round trip. Same with my wife who'll be staying at home next year.
They do, my company for instance has 3 mileage "tiers" that we can set a policy at. Over 7500 miles per year, under 7500 miles per year, and a "retired/no commuting/pleasure" level at the lowest.

However, you may not necessarily be at the highest mileage, sometimes agents may arbitrarily bump you down to help offset a rate increase at some point, in the hopes of not losing your business. We can usually jack with the mileage stuff quite a bit, and our company doesn't really look at it too closely unless ALL of our customers are flagged as retired, then they know some shenanigans are going on. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask though, they might be able to bump you down, but don't be surprised if you're already lower than you thought and they can't move you down any further.

At any rate, it usually isn't a massive difference. Each of our mileage tiers might be 5% difference in price or so.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm waiting on the appraiser to call me, he/she is supposed to go to the impound lot and look it over. No way it doesn't get totaled. (hopefully)

Insurance said they are going to go after her for everything, including the deductible (if it's not totaled out)

Biggest Fuck You I got out of this was I had a shit ton of stuff my kids had made me over the years I had in a closet that I was going to put in storage that is now destroyed. 10 years worth of memories gone.
Make sure you sue them for your priceless posessions that were destroyed. Not doing this to be a smart ass but another reason why a home is a good investment.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Me and the wife pay $104.26/month to State Farm for the car insurance portion of our combined homeowners/car insurance. Seems a little much but then we have a 2011 Scion XB and a 2014 Honda EX on it. We are both over 25. Wife has never had documented speeding ticket and I haven't had any for more then 7 years. Paying $57.71 a month for a car bought new last year doesn't seem so bad.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Granted, I haven't lived in the US for quite a few years but the last I was there I had a brand new off the lot Chevy Tahoe Z-71 completely loaded out and paid about $650 per year to USAA.

Do people really pay these monthly rates? I have always paid the yearly up-front rate because it is significantly cheaper than breaking it down monthly. Hell, you could probably slap the yearly onto a credit card and pay it down monthly (with interest) and still be FAR FAR ahead.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
That woman wiped out your memories, Tarrant. You should wipe out hers...

by smacking her in the head with a bat.

/toughguyhere

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I thought about it but I don't want to catch her ghetto, you never know if that is contagious.

Appraiser couldn't look at the car today, have to now wait until tomorrow. After...you know, I took today off and have to work 14 hours now tomorrow. /sigh

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I thought about it but I don't want to catch her ghetto, you never know if that is contagious.

Appraiser couldn't look at the car today, have to now wait until tomorrow. After...you know, I took today off and have to work 14 hours now tomorrow. /sigh
Good news is it's a guaranteed total, so I'd start thinking about a new car and hopefully you have gap insurance.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't clothesline a black bitch unless you want to be on worldstar my man. That advice was free.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Good news is it's a guaranteed total, so I'd start thinking about a new car and hopefully you have gap insurance.
Yeah I have gap. In cases like these though I think they have to give me replacement value as opposed to blue book which would be more than what I owe.... We will find out soon hopefully.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Granted, I haven't lived in the US for quite a few years but the last I was there I had a brand new off the lot Chevy Tahoe Z-71 completely loaded out and paid about $650 per year to USAA.

Do people really pay these monthly rates? I have always paid the yearly up-front rate because it is significantly cheaper than breaking it down monthly. Hell, you could probably slap the yearly onto a credit card and pay it down monthly (with interest) and still be FAR FAR ahead.
Not all companies offer any discount for paying the full thing, and some only charge a very small monthly fee for going monthly. My company charges $2 per monthly bill after the 1st renewal bill each 6 months, so you only get the $2 charge for 5 of the 6 months. $20 a year isn't a horrible extra amount to go monthly. And we even waive that if you get your bills via email, or sign up for auto withdrawal each month. You only get hit with the $2 fee if we have to manually mail you a paper bill.

I do know that other companies can have some pretty crazy fees, I've seen one well known company that charges $10 extra per month for paying montly. Fuck that for sure.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Insurance company totaled me out today. They are going to give me about $5000 less than what I currently owe so gap will cover the rest.

Fuck ghetto bitches that burn my car down.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Does anyone have auto insurance that lives in Phoenix proper? My rates skyrocketed moving from NH (which I figured was going to happen, but not double). I'm paying $2100/yr now on my 2011 WRX with Liberty Mutual. I carry a lot of coverage and very low deductibles, but still. I have 1 speeding ticket from 2 years ago that is 'free' so it doesn't add points on their premium, but I do lose a small amount (like 300) from 'safe driver discount'. I'm just wondering if it's worth going through the exhausting process of shopping around and answering 345 questions over and over. I'm happy with their service thus far, had not-at-fault parking lot fender bender and three windshields in 18 months and they said nothing has added no points on the premium.

Asking around I basically get the feeling I'm going to get fleeced for living in a major metro area regardless so it's just penny pinching to shop around.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
IF you feel like wasting a substantial portion of time being vindictive for no personal gain, take both her and her boyfriend to small claims court, separately.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Asking around I basically get the feeling I'm going to get fleeced for living in a major metro area regardless so it's just penny pinching to shop around.
Metro areas are insanely expensive compared to anywhere else.Liberty mutual probably has different rates in Arizona too, should shop it.