Career advice needed

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's what you get for being born with a dick.

I'm passionate about theorycrafting certain video games, someone pay me for it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Both of those can be turned into lucrative jobs. Start a Youtube/Twitch channel. Hire some big boobs to front for you, if necessary.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Edge is like the last person I'd assume that. Reading this thread, I've had to make sure this was the same guy that heavily posts new age hippy Eastern shit. I mean, I guess they're not mutually exclusive, but I don't usually associate people that are money driven with that stereotype.

Chart was accurate/funny/depressing, thanks for that.

I definitely agree with the "work to make money" mentality. I enjoy coding and testing well enough but it's not my passion. I've often wondered if that's lowered the ceiling on my career. Even if that's true, I'm not sure if that's fixable or should be attempted. Really hard to make someone passionate about something.
Ya, I'm not too into material wealth or possessions. I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to that. However, I value being able to travel and not living paycheck to paycheck. I'm happiest when I don't have to think about money.

I've spoken with enough retirees to know that life's too short to spend it doing something you're not happy doing. Most regret working too hard or too much, and for what?

I'm starting to think that old adage about making your passion your career is bullshit. All it seems to do is take what you love and make it a chore to the point that you loathe doing it. As Soygen said, I'm also passionate about playing video games, but if that became my job where I HAD play, regardless of if I wanted to, I would quickly grow to hate playing.

So if it's like some are saying and I should just treat it as an avenue to make money to do the things I want to do, then it seems I should just pick the career that has the highest pay for the least amount of hours regardless of what that job is.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Ya, I'm not too into material wealth or possessions. I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to that. However, I value being able to travel and not living paycheck to paycheck. I'm happiest when I don't have to think about money.

I've spoken with enough retirees to know that life's too short to spend it doing something you're not happy doing. Most regret working too hard or too much, and for what?

I'm starting to think that old adage about making your passion your career is bullshit. All it seems to do is take what you love and make it a chore to the point that you loathe doing it. As Soygen said, I'm also passionate about playing video games, but if that became my job where I HAD play, regardless of if I wanted to, I would quickly grow to hate playing.

So if it's like some are saying and I should just treat it as an avenue to make money to do the things I want to do, then it seems I should just pick the career that has the highest pay for the least amount of hours regardless of what that job is.
For the most part, yes. Though there are is a very large scale on dislike for your job. You may not like what you do now, but the other job that pays more may make you absolutely hate your life.

I wouldn't say I particularly like my work, but I have done some jobs where I felt like shit on Sunday just because I knew I had to go in the next day.