Cats (2019)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Waterworld is fine, it works even better if you take it as a Mad Max spinoff, it's got a lot of similar vibes.
It's just so visually drab. Every set is made out of brown trash and every character is wearing brown trash.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
It's just so visually drab. Every set is made out of brown trash and every character is wearing brown trash.

I know, right!

image-asset.jpeg

Aunty-Entity-from-Mad-Max-Beyond-the-Thunderdrome.jpg

Forget the part where they mention the entire globe is covered in water in the intro, and the deleted scene where it's revealed "Dry Land" is the top of the Everest mountain range, and it works just fine as a Mad Max spinoff, it's got freakish mutants, people covered in random junk, a cool villain played by a cool actor, a reluctant hero that just wants to be left alone and only gets involved when he has no other choice.. Give it another shot as a Mad Max side-story in the ocean around Australia (massive mutant sharks too!) and you'll like it better.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, it's Costners Mad Max.

He had a very specific movie that he made, and I think he made about 4 of them. I didn't mind Waterworld or The Postman. Dances with Wolves was even good if you were in the mood for some sunday afternoon pure schlock. TA-TONKA!

There's something quintessentially american about Kevin Costner movies. They might not be good, but you can't deny that they're sincere.

Vin Diesel does action versions of Kevin Costner movies. As dumb as it sounds I'd call both of them artists. Not all art has to be great art.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I know, right!

image-asset.jpeg

Aunty-Entity-from-Mad-Max-Beyond-the-Thunderdrome.jpg
I feel like Mad Max did a better job with the costumes to make a unique post apocalyptic 80s punk style, while Waterworld was more realistic with people wearing trash.

Also Mad Max was fairly low budget compared to Waterworld, when they got a huge budget with Fury Road there was much more variety in colour and how things looked.

Just just need to look at the difference in cultural impact to know I'm right.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
My fav doomsday is Doomsday but that is due to the punk cannibals and Rhona Mitra in the yoga pants all movie. I'd eat live babies to tap that.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
My only problem with Waterworld is that it is supposedly 1000 years after the melting, but there are still cigarettes and gasoline. Otherwise perfectly fine movie.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I saw the play Cats when I was a kid. I guess because everyone was going to see it? It was bizarre... but they had a good song here and there. That Memories song was everywhere. I'm not sure why everyone is so surprised this movie is bad. Even looking at the costumes it seems like exactly what I'd expect based on seeing the play.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You think they did it on purpose?

Miranda sings is cringe humor. This might be too.

If I were to guess, I would say the director and producers were serious and had their head so far up their asses that they thought it was some great artistic vision. There are plays/musicals that appeal to a wide audience (Oklahoma, West Side Story, Le Mis, ect.) but Cats isn't one of them; so, any criticisms in post production was probably written off as, you just dont get it, man. The cast and crew only got to see a disjointed scene by scene production, with everyone in greensuits, over the course of months, and I doubt they knew what they were really in.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, Waterworld is not a good movie but it is watchable and there are things to get out of it if you don't expect much from it. It's a fun setting.

• 2Like

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure this movie doesnt exist. Its a social experiment.
What they do is spray movie goers with some bad/tainted LSD and play youtube cat videos to them for 1.5 hours.

• 1Worf

Kiki

Log Wizard
Pretty sure this movie doesnt exist. Its a social experiment.
What they do is spray movie goers with some bad/tainted LSD and play youtube cat videos to them for 1.5 hours.

That would be the only thing that would make me actually go see this movie.

• 2Like

Cybsled

My only problem with Waterworld is that it is supposedly 1000 years after the melting, but there are still cigarettes and gasoline. Otherwise perfectly fine movie.

I recall it being at least a couple centuries, but nothing regarding a millennium. Cigs are a stretch, but they were refining oil from the tanker into gasoline.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Waterworld was on the other day. they were definitely refining the oil into gas, the rest is fantasy. you arent going to have paper cigarette wrappers, let alone tobacco in an all water world. the metal would all corroded after a few decades with the salt content in the air. not even discussing what people are drinking without fresh water.

• 1Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Waterworld was on the other day. they were definitely refining the oil into gas, the rest is fantasy. you arent going to have paper cigarette wrappers, let alone tobacco in an all water world. the metal would all corroded after a few decades with the salt content in the air. not even discussing what people are drinking without fresh water.

I saw Waterworld when I was a kid and was confused. More than a few times I would be like 'but how do they have X', and be told to shut up and just watch the fucking movie. Back in the 70s or early 80s a cement tanker ran aground on some shoals a few miles off the coast. We used to load into this little-ass dinghy my uncle owned and go out there to fish. In their heyday you used to be able to go up onto the navigation deck and scuba dive in certain parts of the hold, but by the time I was a kid it was mostly rotted away into a giant cement rock with a vague skeleton of one deck.

Wasn't it explained that you got by drinking your own pee, though?

Bear-Grylls.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I saw Waterworld when I was a kid and was confused. More than a few times I would be like 'but how do they have X', and be told to shut up and just watch the fucking movie. Back in the 70s or early 80s a cement tanker ran aground on some shoals a few miles off the coast. We used to load into this little-ass dinghy my uncle owned and go out there to fish. In their heyday you used to be able to go up onto the navigation deck and scuba dive in certain parts of the hold, but by the time I was a kid it was mostly rotted away into a giant cement rock with a vague skeleton of one deck.

Wasn't it explained that you got by drinking your own pee, though?

Bear-Grylls.jpg
i mean in a pinch you could drink your own piss, but uh thats for survival and it likely is going to make you sick as hell over any period of time. like how many piss cycles can you go through before you run out of piss in your body? the answer isnt hundreds of years.

• 1Like