Censorship and Art

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm with you all the way to the last sentence, because time and time again, artist have taken a shit on the established rules and the outcome has been beautiful. In fact following the art rules over and over often leads to mediocrity and staleness. There are only so many background paintings that I can see before been bored to death, or so many Linkin Park or Nickleback songs I can listen to before they get all blurred into one monotonous tone.

No one is saying not to make new fields up, sure--the rules for a field will become niche for that field. "Classical art is this" "Impression is this". The point being that there are standards which quantify a work. If you make up a new form of art, then it shouldn't be hard to make arbitrary rules measuring why its art and then have other people express themselves that way--if that eventually leads to mediocrity, then start the cycle over again. Don't abandon the whole notion of being able to measure and develop rules.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
What if you put the shit on a plate following the composition rules, and you swirl it around following the golden spiral? Will it be art then?

• 1Salty

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
No one is saying not to make new fields up, sure--the rules for a field will become niche for that field. "Classical art is this" "Impression is this". The point being that there are standards which quantify a work. If you make up a new form of art, then it shouldn't be hard to make arbitrary rules measuring why its art and then have other people express themselves that way--if that eventually leads to mediocrity, then start the cycle over again. Don't abandon the whole notion of being able to measure and develop rules.
So shit on a plate is a go? We can arbitrary grade the poop consistency.

• 1Salty

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
If I get to lithose to admit that shit on a plate can be an art form, my life will be complete.

• 1Salty

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Simply saying "there are no standards, anything can be art as long as I know the guy?" is laughable dog shit. That's the idiotic shit people like Tanoomba believe because they truly believe the world should be a social club, and deciphering an actual measurement or way to PREDICT enjoyment? Is bad.
What are you even talking about? What "people like me" (whatever that means) believe has nothing to do with it. I'm just telling you how it is. You don't have to like it (clearly you don't) but the art world doesn't care. Don't blame me for your inability to deal with reality.

I also never said measuring ways to predict enjoyment was bad. That's just yet another straw man. What I said was that art doesn't have to be about enjoyment. It's been that way for quite a while now, despite your protests.

The prosecution rests. Thank you Tan, for proving that who knows you makes something art, not any quality of the expression. (No one needed know who Michelangelo to look up at the Sistine chapel and say "that's something special". Yet nearly everyone would need to KNOW who Pollock is to even know his painting was not literally garbage (Because Pollock's paintings have literally been mistaken for garbage before--not kidding.) )

And here is the reason why--because people like Tan believe shit on a plate can become art if people who like the smell of their own farts say so, because they are brave and won't be deterred.
Another straw man so soon? Nothing in my post implied who you know has anything to do with art. if you read my post, you'd notice I said art is created by artists who have studied, developed skill in and produce art. I also never said anything about artists being brave in the face of people trying to claim what they produce isn't art. That's your third straw man in a very brief time.

The problem you're having grasping this is that you have a pathological (borderline obsessive) need for art to be defined by inherent qualities in the object itself. You want to believe that if an object can meet certain measurable criteria then it's art, and if it can't then it isn't. Art's not like that, though, despite what you would personally prefer.

Also, you're wrong in your assertion that modern art is somehow destroying or delegitimizing art created for the purposes of appealing to the greatest common denominator. There are still plenty of artists who study classical art composition (rule of thirds and whatnot) and develop traditional skills to create gorgeous works nearly everyone can enjoy. It's not a "one or the other" thing, which you might know if you knew anything about art at all instead of just insisting on complaining about people creating art you don't like.

• 1Salty

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
What are you even talking about? What "people like me" (whatever that means) believe has nothing to do with it. I'm just telling you how it is. You don't have to like it (clearly you don't) but the art world doesn't care. Don't blame me for your inability to deal with reality.

I also never said measuring ways to predict enjoyment was bad. That's just yet another straw man. What I said was that art doesn't have to be about enjoyment. It's been that way for quite a while now, despite your protests.

Another straw man so soon? Nothing in my post implied who you know has anything to do with art. if you read my post, you'd notice I said art is created by artists who have studied, developed skill in and produce art. I also never said anything about artists being brave in the face of people trying to claim what they produce isn't art. That's your third straw man in a very brief time.

The problem you're having grasping this is that you have a pathological (borderline obsessive) need for art to be defined by inherent qualities in the object itself. You want to believe that if an object can meet certain measurable criteria then it's art, and if it can't then it isn't. Art's not like that, though, despite what you would personally prefer.

Also, you're wrong in your assertion that modern art is somehow destroying or delegitimizing art created for the purposes of appealing to the greatest common denominator. There are still plenty of artists who study classical art composition (rule of thirds and whatnot) and develop traditional skills to create gorgeous works nearly everyone can enjoy. It's not a "one or the other" thing, which you might know if you knew anything about art at all instead of just insisting on complaining about people creating art you don't like.
:emoji_fork_knife_plate::emoji_poop::emoji_coffin::emoji_gay_pride_flag:

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Art is more than the sum of its parts.
Now I'm not saying that a piece of shit on a table is art, because I'm an art bigot!!.

• 1Salty

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Is effort no longer considered when deciding if something is art or not or is that notion antiquated?

• 1Like

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
This is art.

God damn right.

That is Zy's performance art.

------

Seven, when you banned Tanoomba? That was art.

That was bold, provocative, brave, and elaborate. It had earth-mothery tones and spoke to the inner animal in all of us. Deep and moving. Gut wrenching and uplifting. Truly a work that only a tribal half-monkey backwards ape shaman like you could produce. We here in French-England-America want you to know that we understand completely.

• 1Solidarity

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
God damn right.

------

That was bold, provocative, brave, and elaborate. It had earth-mothery tones and spoke to the inner animal in all of us. Deep and moving. Gut wrenching and uplifting. Truly a work that only a tribal half-monkey backwards ape shaman like you could produce. We here in French-England-America want you to know that we understand completely.

As you may notice both the statement by Zy and the banning of Tan were based on objective standards of behavior. Society has created definitions of acceptable behavior and Tan crosses them and receives an objective response.

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Is effort no longer considered when deciding if something is art or not or is that notion antiquated?
Of course it is. But you're presuming to be the arbiter of how much effort went into producing something despite having no idea what the process was.

Heck, if you want to bring objectivity into it, it took a tremendous amount of effort to carry a mattress around every day for months and months. Tremendous.

• 1Salty

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Of course it is. But you're presuming to be the arbiter of how much effort went into producing something despite having no idea what the process was.

Heck, if you want to bring objectivity into it, it took a tremendous amount of effort to carry a mattress around every day for months and months. Tremendous.

Tell the truth you're a retarded, right??

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
God damn right.

------

Thank you for the new title.

• 1Solidarity

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>

Tremendous.

"How can you expect somebody who is warm to understand somebody who is cold?"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users