CES 2014

Column_sl

shitlord
If the 4k screens for the PC are not running at 120hz, not sure that is a good enough tradeoff.

Be interesting to see the new Nvidia screens with the built in chip.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If the 4k screens for the PC are not running at 120hz, not sure that is a good enough tradeoff.
I think it's going to be a while before most people have the hardware in their PC to run a game at 3840x2160 at higher than 60fps. By the time we all have graphics cards that can pull that off with ease I'm sure 120hz 4K monitors will be readily available.

Heres a benchmark of 4K skyrim
skyrim-frame-rate.png

Benchmarking Skyrim At 3840x2160

A titan can only push slightly more than 60FPS, and SLI'd Titans can't even hit 120fps, and that's a 2+ year old game at this point.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Alienware has announced a box that is smaller than Xbone/PS4, more powerful than both of them, and will be competitively priced. There you go. Hopefully it makes sense now.
Sounds like you should throw windows on it and just call it a computer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think it's going to be a while before most people have the hardware in their PC to run a game at 3840x2160 at higher than 60fps. By the time we all have graphics cards that can pull that off with ease I'm sure 120hz 4K monitors will be readily available.

Heres a benchmark of 4K skyrim
skyrim-frame-rate.png

Benchmarking Skyrim At 3840x2160

A titan can only push slightly more than 60FPS, and SLI'd Titans can't even hit 120fps, and that's a 2+ year old game at this point.
Yeah plus a skyrim at 2k with a modest set of mods would blow away a vanilla skyrim at 4k.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can't even imagine what you would need harware-wise to run Skyrim with high-rez texture packs and various mods at 4K. something like triple SLI Titans just to get to 30FPS probably.

Looks like the next few generations of graphics cards may be really pushed by monitor technology rather than software/games(which honestly has been pretty lacking in pushing forward graphically in recent years)

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
I don't believe gamers are the target demograph for that screen. They may do better to wait til BenQ or someone gets involved.

I however am quite interested at that pricetag.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Has anyone announced an interesting phone? I am in bandwidth purgatory at the moment so fancy sites like Engadget and The Verge won't load for me right now.

My Verizon contract is up next week, am I really going to have to just choose between the Note 3 and the Moto X?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I really like the curved-screen phones that LG and Samsung have shown. They are supposed to be AMAZING for not reflecting glare, especially outside in sunlight. I don't think Samsung even mentioned a release date though

Pinch_sl

shitlord
If you're on Verizon, look into the LG G2. I'm returning my Note 3 (too big) for it. Same processor, better camera, amazing form factor for a 5.2" screen, and the screen is 1080p IPS instead of amoled. The clincher for me is that it has pretty much the best battery life of any phone except for the droid ultra.

Only downsides would be the LG skin (root and/or Nova Launcher for that) and button placement on the back of the phone below the camera (some love it, some hate it). I've already read up on cases that have button covers to make then easier to press. Also, you can double tap the screen to turn it on.

Nothing else is even close to competitive except the Note 3, which is $150 more on contact. Moto X tempted me, but the fact that it's the same price as the G2 for universally worse specs makes me worry about lag in the future. My galaxy nexus has awful lag these days simply due to it's hardware that wasn't even top of the line when it was released.

This post evolved into something that should have been in the phone thread.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That is true but thanks, I will check out the LG. I really wanted to go away from Samsung for a cycle because my Galaxy Nexus was such a poorly made POS. Battery life is probably my #1 consideration this round. I'm so fucking sick of my phone being dead at 6 PM every day.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I was in the exact same boat. Battery life and poor camera were my biggest issues with the GNex. Note 3 had amazing battery life and camera, and so does the G2. I think right now the Moto X is about perfect, I just hate how my Nexus ended up laggy and slow all the time due to its hardware after a year or two and I want to avoid that as much as I can in the future, so I'm sticking the cutting edge specs.