Chernobyl

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Man that guy fucked up, when broken down like that he literally did all the wrong things in a row.
CC081160-A27A-4A57-B733-2B113D2539A5.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, Scherbina was a low level party man. That much is confirmed during the recess when they meet each other for a chat outside.

He even says, I didnt think it was that big of a crisis because they picked ME to run the investigation, as Scherbina was a low level bureaucrat who was expected to quickly quell any negative information and coordinate any efforts needed to bring the situation to a quick resolution. Sadly it was much worse than Gorbachev and company could ever imagine.

Legasov was the leader of all the scientist investigating the hard facts. It was in incredible show that brought us into the very heart of the Chernobyl disaster in a way that has never been achieved before. I feel horrible for Teptunov. I have a similar job as him, (not nuclear fuel, but I operate high pressure boilers that produce steam for turbines) where I control the amount of fuel going into the system. If my steam PSI is at 250, and my boilers are all in automatic, they should stay like that. If my boss came in and told me to put all the boilers in maximum fire manual, and if I didnt I could go fuck myself.....that is almost an impossible position to be in.

Teptunov HAS to listen to Dyatlov...Dyatlov was the Assistant Chief Engineer. Firmin was the Chief Engineer (Day Shift) and Stinikov was the other assistant Chief Engineer (Day Shift) who they made go on the roof and look into the reactor. Teptunov really had no choice but to try and get the reactor power up, either that or he quits on the spot and risks getting a bullet or punished for life by being blacklisted from ever getting a job again. I would NEVER want to risk losing my job......Teptunov was also only 25, which means that he theoretically could of only had 3 years on the job after university, which is insane if he was a 2nd class engineer and lead fuel operator. In the US it takes 4 years to get your 2nd class fireman Lic (what I have) and then if you want you could get 2 years and take test to gain 1st class fireman, then another 3 to get 3rd class engineer, then another 2 to get 2nd enginner, and anoher 3 to get 1st class engineer (highest license). S0 most 1st class Engineers in the state of MA have about 14-20 years experience minimum. A 2nd most likely 10-14 years, and Teptunov had the same license in 3 years......

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Absolutely one of the best shows I saw this year. I remember when the accident happened. Watching on TV, it was like yeah they had a problem, but it will be taken care of soon. No worries. And then the west starts detecting radiation. Wtf?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Radiation detectors. I think they are supposed to be white. I'll pay attention when/if I rewatch the before scenes in ep5.

Fucker

Log Wizard
It kind of makes you wonder how many times in history have humans been so close to wiping out thousands and thousands of people due to ignorance and incompetence.

Not thousands. 100's of millions. If the whole reactor went up, it would have wiped out Europe. As it was, only 5% of the radioactive material escaped which released the equivalent of 500 Nagasaki bombs worth of nuclear fallout.

I am anti nuclear power because humans are too immature to handle responsibility of such magnitude.

Sovietskis loved fiddling around with dangerous things. If they uncorked Tsar Bomba in NYC, the blast would have blown out windows as far away as fucking Indiana. As it was, Tsar Bomba was half the yield it was designed for. If they uncorked it at full power in NYC, the blast would have been felt in SEATTLE.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If we remained fearful of pioneering discoveries we'd still be living in caves.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
lol and this Wakandan gets his job back after serving his prison sentence
apparently he has like radiation immunity, podcast talks about how he was exposed to huge amounts of radiation in a nuke sub, and his son then died of lukemia. They're thinking his radiated clothes gave his son the cancer.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Not thousands. 100's of millions. If the whole reactor went up, it would have wiped out Europe. As it was, only 5% of the radioactive material escaped which released the equivalent of 500 Nagasaki bombs worth of nuclear fallout.

I am anti nuclear power because humans are too immature to handle responsibility of such magnitude.

Sovietskis loved fiddling around with dangerous things. If they uncorked Tsar Bomba in NYC, the blast would have blown out windows as far away as fucking Indiana. As it was, Tsar Bomba was half the yield it was designed for. If they uncorked it at full power in NYC, the blast would have been felt in SEATTLE.
There was no feasible way to even deliver the bomb long distances. That's a weird hypothetical.

• 1Like