Chromecast - the new Google TV

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Well 802.11ac can almost reach up to gigabit speeds so we're not waiting on tech, we're waiting on market saturation.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
we really need a new home wireless tech, wifi is really starting to lag way behind everything we want to do. This shit sounds cool until you realize 1080p isn't possible for most wifi homes, and fuhgettabout 4k and/or 3D. Wireless-N rarely works anywhere I go since the fucking router way is a different wireless-N than the tablet/phone/whatever, and even when it does work I never see ultra fast speeds.

dammit I want my 100 terabit wireless tech and I want it NOW
This is why they need a version with an ethernet connector. I already went to the trouble of running cat 5 to my entertainment center because streaming over wifi blows.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
we really need a new home wireless tech, wifi is really starting to lag way behind everything we want to do. This shit sounds cool until you realize 1080p isn't possible for most wifi homes, and fuhgettabout 4k and/or 3D. Wireless-N rarely works anywhere I go since the fucking router way is a different wireless-N than the tablet/phone/whatever, and even when it does work I never see ultra fast speeds.

dammit I want my 100 terabit wireless tech and I want it NOW
The best idea I've seen lately isn't a new standard (b/g/n/ac) but a company that is building wireless repeaters into light bulbs. If this can be done for a reasonable price, every room in your home would have a wireless signal just as strong as standing in the room with your router. The new wireless ac standard combined with something like that will easily make streaming 1080p and beyond a possibility in your home. Right now, you just lose so much signal strength going through walls and floors that it isn't even funny. Sign me up for having 10-20 wireless repeaters throughout my home in every single room(and often several per room)

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is why they need a version with an ethernet connector. I already went to the trouble of running cat 5 to my entertainment center because streaming over wifi blows.
Theoretically HDMI has an Ethernet channel, so if the Chromecast supported it and your TV/reciever supported.... but in reality I've never been able to figure out if any devices support it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Google disconnects Chromecast's Netflix Deal

What the shit? Trying to find out if pre-orders still get it.

Amazon Chromecast Page_sl said:
Netflix Promotion No Longer Available
Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Customers who ordered their Chromecast prior to 5:31 PM PST on July 24, 2013 will receive a Netflix gift code via email within 5 days of their product's ship date.
Oh well CNET also says now:

Update, 4:11 p.m. PT: A source close to the matter at Google says that the deal ended because the company ran out of the Netflix promotional codes, and not because it was scuttling the offer.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
My buddy already received his and mine should be here by Monday.

His initial response: it's bare bones right now, but is very good at what it does. Stupidly cool device for only $35. Said he had absolutely no lag streaming from his iPhone (although he was a little disappointed with YouTube - he didn't really get into specifics). Says his phone has pretty much become his TV remote control.

I'll leave my impressions when mine arrives.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/25...gh-chromecast/

Get video file path, paste into chrome address bar, hit the Chromecast button and send it over.
Hope that works well, no more need at all for my Roku if so.

Should work a little smoother than Samsung airplay if so, on airplay the video has to stream to your samsung phone/tablet, then it's streamed again to the airplay device/dongle. That eats up a lot of bandwith basically having to stream the video twice simultaneously, 720p is barely doable, 1080 is out of the question. Sound like the Chromecast just plays the file straight from the directory path, no passing through your control device first. Can't wait, mine is due to arrive Tuesday from Amazon.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Good review, summed up nicely by this quote:

I've been thinking about it all night, and I don't think I've ever been as surprised by a device as I am by the Chromecast.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/28/rev...le-chromecast/

And just to confirm what was mentioned above about streaming your personal video library"

While we're on the topic, the Chrome extension packs a bit of an easter egg: the ability to stream local videos from your laptop to the Chromecast. Just drag a video into Chrome, and it'll start playing in a new tab. Use the Chrome extension to cast that tab, and ta da! You're streaming your (totally legitimate, not-at-all-pirated-am-i-right) videos without bringing any other software into the mix. I tried it with a bunch of video formats (AVIs, MOVs, MKVs), and they all seemed to work quite well, albeit with the lowered framerate I mentioned earlier.
video quality basically just limited by the quality of your wifi

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well I just got mine in the mail and am playing with it. Netflix works perfectly. Streaming from a device to Chromecast is no different then streaming to my GoogleTV. I've not yet found a way to play videos on my computer on it (Using the Chromecast browser extension is not working for videos) but I am hoping for a hack/app for that to come out soon.

My biggest issue right now is that the sound has to go through my TV speakers and I have everything hooked up to go through my surround sound system. Not sure if I can fix this somehow unless I get a system with HDMI In and plug it into that.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, we used it all weekend w/ Netflix, some Youtube, great little device. Still wish there was an HDMI passthrough variant or something so then there'd be no source switching.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Can you plug it into an HDMI port on your AV receiver instead of the TV?

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have four people in my apartment right now. Everyone downloaded the Chromecast app on their Smartphones, and now people are just shooting videos on the fly to my TV. It's like retarded YouTube roulette.

I can't begin to express how awesome Chromecast is.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone tried twitch.tv with it? The XBMC app works well enough but this may be even easier.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
So some best buy stores haven't received Chromecast yet, I'm assuming that means they will still have Netflix codes? The employees there barely knew what it was so I didn't expect them to know about the codes.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Someone that has this, can you:

Plug into a TV not near home wifi
Set up hot spot on your android
Connect device to that hotspot
Stream from phone to TV

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kedwyn I would assume is meant to be portable. I could shove one of these on my keychain and have an instant presentation at any hdmi tv that I am near.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Can you plug it into an HDMI port on your AV receiver instead of the TV?
Don't see why you couldn't. It's effectively the same exact thing. That would fix Selix's surround sound issues, assuming he has a receiver with HDMI routing.