Chronic Pain

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
That's interesting, up until now I had no idea that physical therapy could help with the issue. Just googled it and it looks like it really may help.

Maybe sometime when I'm not a poor college student I'll get some :p
Oh my god I was joking. You need to figure out why you have tinnitus first. What if you have an acoustic neuroma (rare!)? Please see a doctor and start being worked up.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Go see a neurologist to rule out cancers and other traumas. I get frequent migraine headaches which are less severe then cluster headaches but still a bitch. A lot comes down to learning how to manage your headaches. For me it was learning my triggers which cause my migraines and being able to read the signs my body gives me before I get the migraine. For a long time I was on Nadolol to help prevent migraines, also imitrex works wonders for when one does come on.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet, but I would say stop googling to start with. You are guaranteed to drive yourself insane with that shit.

I also think that the meditation/relaxation/stress relief route is worth a try just to rule out any kind of psychosomatic stuff going on. Is there something unusually stressful going on in your life? When I first got out of college and moved to California where I was living all by myself for the first time and didn't really know anybody I had all kinds of stuff I was worried about. I started having chest pains, feeling phantom tingling in various parts of my body, etc. I would lay in bed at night and imagine that my heart was racing or that it was pounding in my ears so loud that something had to be wrong, etc. It really had me fucked up for a while but relaxation techniques and getting on with my life eventually took care of it because there was really nothing wrong with me except stress and getting up in my head about every little thing.

I don't mean to say you're a pussy or there's nothing wrong with you cause obviously I have no idea, but your post reminds me a lot of that period in my life. Obviously if you're suffering from depression/anxiety over this then poking around WebMD and reading about horrible debilitating diseases is the worst thing that you can do. Let the doctor do the diagnosing. You may not be happy with his results, but your chances of doing better than him on your own are very poor.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As many as 1 in 10 people have persistent tinnitus that is mild and not very troublesome. However, about 1 in 100 people have tinnitus which persists most of the time.

Tinnitus is common and can occur at any age. In most cases there is no easy cure. Some people are helped by understanding the problem and knowing that they do not have a serious underlying condition. With time, the tinnitus may become less of a problem as you adjust to it.

If worried, go to a doctor. They will usually examine your ears, and the nerves around your face and ears. A hearing test is usually done. An underlying ear problem can usually be ruled out by this examination and hearing test.

Distilled fromhere.

Anemone_sl

shitlord
As many as 1 in 10 people have persistent tinnitus that is mild and not very troublesome. However, about 1 in 100 people have tinnitus which persists most of the time.

Tinnitus is common and can occur at any age. In most cases there is no easy cure. Some people are helped by understanding the problem and knowing that they do not have a serious underlying condition. With time, the tinnitus may become less of a problem as you adjust to it.

If worried, go to a doctor. They will usually examine your ears, and the nerves around your face and ears. A hearing test is usually done. An underlying ear problem can usually be ruled out by this examination and hearing test.

Distilled fromhere.
I have seen a doctor about it in the past, and he did verify that it was nothing serious. Maybe I should have expressed how much it bothered me, and sought out some treatment for it. He basically just told me it wasn't a big deal and I shouldn't worry.

Does tinnitus not bother anyone else here?

Silver Knight of the Realm
Does tinnitus not bother anyone else here?
The only reason it bothers me is because it lets me know that Toby from Paranormal Activity bout to get his, bro.

Curious - do you listen to music a lot using in-ear headphones/earbuds?

Bellicose_sl

shitlord
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet, but I would say stop googling to start with. You are guaranteed to drive yourself insane with that shit.
pretty this if you start googling your just gonna get all the bad input or the horrorstories. its like reading the possible sideeffects on your medicin its basicly .. this CAN kill you

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
pretty this if you start googling your just gonna get all the bad input or the horrorstories. its like reading the possible sideeffects on your medicin its basicly .. this CAN kill you
Well, the whole "medication side effects" is an interesting story I'll tell you another time. But for now, keep this in mind. When they are testing out new drugs, etc, many people withdraw from the PLACEBO because of "side effects" (placebo, by definition, is inert!). So people are so convinced this placebo is causing their headache, or GI bleed, or liver enzyme problems that they stop taking it! Every medication info will list the quantity of people that withdrew from it versus placebo. It's actually pretty impressive!

(Obviously I'm not saying medications don't have side effects!)

dolaan_sl

shitlord
I know my mom has it and has to sleep with talk radio on so she can sleep. She says when it is very quiet that is when it bothers her the most I assume because it is the most noticeable.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I think you need to take a lot of magnets and put them on different parts of your body so you can cancel out the negative energy that is causing ur tinnitus!

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I have it. My ears ring 24/7/365. It. Never. Stops. It doesn't bother me much. After years of living with it, I only really notice it in a quiet room.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have it. My ears ring 24/7/365. It. Never. Stops. It doesn't bother me much. After years of living with it, I only really notice it in a quiet room.
Same... I only notice when I go to sleep sleep (and only if I'm not tired enough to fall asleep quickly).

Cybsled

Well in dealing with pain, the worst "side effect" for pain meds is addiction I would have to say (not counting overdose death). That is probably the scariest thing about it.