CNC (Lasers, Routers, Etc)

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Found this video on the topic

I learned a few things in that video as well. One of my favorite things about 3D modeling is you can do things in multiple ways and still get the same results depending on what makes sense to you and your thinking process.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I like Lars videos as well. He does a good job of explaining things.
Kinda wish Lars woulda sorta "start over" as it were. He's been doing Fusion videos for so long that you go back to some of his basics videos and the commands he references have moved or work a little differently now, like the timeline and project tree. But damn hes got some good tips for manipulating the timeline feature. Ordering and grouping types of changes can be game changers. ex: fillets at the end of the timeline so you don't have to retweak everything if you make a change to a sketch.

edit: i need to get better at using mirroring and revolve

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

Kinda wish Lars woulda sorta "start over" as it were. He's been doing Fusion videos for so long that you go back to some of his basics videos and the commands he references have moved or work a little differently now, like the timeline and project tree. But damn hes got some good tips for manipulating the timeline feature. Ordering and grouping types of changes can be game changers. ex: fillets at the end of the timeline so you don't have to retweak everything if you make a change to a sketch.

edit: i need to get better at using mirroring and revolve

I'm still trying to get a handle on 3D space sketches, I didn't even know it was a thing until I was attempting a bent pipe.

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I'm still trying to get a handle on 3D space sketches, I didn't even know it was a thing until I was attempting a bent pipe.
Wait, what? I've been creating new planes in weird places/angles and creating a sketch off of them to do weird angle stuff. Mind blown.

Hekotat

Wait, what? I've been creating new planes in weird places/angles and creating a sketch off of them to do weird angle stuff. Mind blown.

lol, naw. I wasn't going to that extreme. I was just modeling more assemblies and parts and mating them together myself after printing them. Fusion is my first 3D modeling program and I just watch tutorials as I get stuck.

Since I come from a 3 axis CNC background my mind works around not having a 5 axis machine so it wasn't difficult to get around the same hurdles in the software. Now i'm looking at doing more complex items as my skill with 3D printing increases.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Found this video on the topic

Thats awesome. I need to check more of those out because I learned a ton that will help with woodworking sketches. Laying out dados or rebates and drill holes. Just a hobbyist and always kind of fought to make things line up and went back and manually fixed things after making alterations to the base sketch. Most wood related stuff is done in SketchUp which I like but there are a few Fusion360 things that moved me over. Especially some of this new laser cutting stuff.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Thats awesome. I need to check more of those out because I learned a ton that will help with woodworking sketches. Laying out dados or rebates and drill holes. Just a hobbyist and always kind of fought to make things line up and went back and manually fixed things after making alterations to the base sketch. Most wood related stuff is done in SketchUp which I like but there are a few Fusion360 things that moved me over. Especially some of this new laser cutting stuff.
3d print jigs for things like pocket holes and router guides for perfect corners. Cabinet shop that does work for my company has a 3d printer for shit like that. Soft plastic is great for corner bumpers too. Also weird alignment and spacing if you need to do it more than once.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Little tester on europly. I'm excited about this one
Screenshot_20221024-201914.png

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
how often do you find yourself having to change bits on that? The router table I had, seemed like I was snapping and losing them every other day with a variety of test settings on it

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
how often do you find yourself having to change bits on that? The router table I had, seemed like I was snapping and losing them every other day with a variety of test settings on it
I've only broken them when I do dumb shit I know I shouldn't. I just ruined one on my first attempt at this table though. Screenshots above are roads + rivers. First attempt was roads + rivers + streams and they were so small that the cutter was sitting in one spot too long during plunge and retract that it generated a ton of friction.

I've gone through about $200 in bits in the last year or so

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Looking good. You need some dust extraction, lol.

How are you burning through bits so fast? Just breaking them or cheap bits?
Yea, I thought I could get away without having one. Dumb idea. The one that was mounted when I bought it causes Z issues all the time though, and the half assed enclosure I made needs to be modified now.

I didn't really go through $200 in bits....That's about what I've spent after replacing all the dull ones that came with the machine, along with the 1x 1/16in bit I broke and another one that I think I burned up when trying something. How can you tell when your bits get too dull? Just the way it sounds, or do you go by feel or what?

Working on setting up labels for this thing now. I'm going to fill about 80% of the empty space with clear resin, then use V-carve and resin with pigment to fill it in before covering up the last 20% with clear resin.
1674234975594.png