Coffee Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Any recommendations for bulk k-cups (minimum 80 - 100 count boxes)? I drink 5 - 8 cups of coffee a day, so as you can imagine I go through a ton of k-cups and I like to buy in bulk to save money. I'm always looking for the best quality coffee with the lowest price.

Currently I'm about 80% through my box of Caza Trail (100 count)

It's pretty good, and I am probably going to go with their same-priced 100-count dark roast box next. But I'm curious if there are any hidden bulk gems out there I should pick up instead.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Any recommendations for bulk k-cups (minimum 80 - 100 count boxes)? I drink 5 - 8 cups of coffee a day, so as you can imagine I go through a ton of k-cups and I like to buy in bulk to save money. I'm always looking for the best quality coffee with the lowest price.

Currently I'm about 80% through my box of Caza Trail (100 count)

It's pretty good, and I am probably going to go with their same-priced 100-count dark roast box next. But I'm curious if there are any hidden bulk gems out there I should pick up instead.
My friends were heavy into Neumans kcups then switched to the costco brand, and now have just gone to kcup refills
Amazon.com: Keurig 119367 2.0 My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter, Small, Black (Updated Model): Kitchen & Dining

have you tried that? or is that too much work? cuz that's pretty much 1 step away from just using a regular drip machine.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
We don't have an easy way to rinse/clean out anything reusable, which is why we use standard k-cups. I'd prefer to use a reusable one for environmental reasons, but it isn't feasible at work.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My old guitar teacher is a coffee snob... Is part of a subscription style group that has a guy who hand picks organically grown brans from somewhere in the world each month... He brought in some one day, was from somewhere in Africa, and it was undoubtedly the best coffee I've ever had. Almost tasted fruity and sweet despite not adding a drop of sugar or cream.

He would not say how much he pays each month.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My old guitar teacher is a coffee snob... Is part of a subscription style group that has a guy who hand picks organically grown brans from somewhere in the world each month... He brought in some one day, was from somewhere in Africa, and it was undoubtedly the best coffee I've ever had. Almost tasted fruity and sweet despite not adding a drop of sugar or cream.

He would not say how much he pays each month.
usually those subscription coffees range from .80c to 1$ an /ounce, not including shipping.

If he pays more than that...

Haka

N00b
Curious if anyone here uses an Aeropress at home. I got one and I think I've slowly gotten the ratios to where I like them but would be curious to hear other's experience as well.

For those that don't know, this is what one looks like. It makes real good coffee, although takes a bit more work than a drip machine in the morning.

new.aeropress.jpg

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone have any specialty/local type coffee roasters (non-chain) that they would recommend that you can order their beans online? I'm always looking for rare and unusual roasts and blends wherever I can find them any time I go on a road trip anywhere.

Philz coffe, a bay area roaster has some good stuff you can order online. And if you are ever in SF go get a cup they are right by the baseball field. They do double pour over.

McCheese... For K cups my favorite is peets light roasts but I don't know if you can get them bulk, peets is kinda dickish like that. The after 8 Columbian is pretty good. Honestly though I just buy whatever is on sale at Costco that month for work coffee and make good cups at home.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Philz coffe, a bay area roaster has some good stuff you can order online. And if you are ever in SF go get a cup they are right by the baseball field. They do double pour over.

/QUOTE]

Cool, any of the blends from Philz you'd recommend?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Curious if anyone here uses an Aeropress at home. I got one and I think I've slowly gotten the ratios to where I like them but would be curious to hear other's experience as well.

For those that don't know, this is what one looks like. It makes real good coffee, although takes a bit more work than a drip machine in the morning.

new.aeropress.jpg
If you find you want more flavor, you want to "bloom" your grounds, try inverted aeropress
aeropress.jpg

you're basically seeping the grounds at this point, many ppl prefer this method to a "fuller" taste.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cool, any of the blends from Philz you'd recommend?
I really like the Tesora and the Turkish, and then if you want to be a baller you can grab a pound of the Jamacan Blue Mountain for $120, It is a little out of my price range so I have only tried it there but it is tasty. Thew website has flavor profiles on all their beans so you can read through and see what you might like, i.e. nuts, chocolate, fruit...

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I may get laughed out of the coffee thread... But I've been hooked on Cafe Bustelo since my Puerto Rican wife introduced me to it 8ish years ago. It's dirt cheap at any big box/grocery store. I make it in a stovetop espresso pot and add to warm milk. An actual steamer would be best, but I just do microwaved milk. Talking under a dollar per day for what I think turns out better than a shop cappuccino.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I am laughing and then crying at how sad someone's existence must be to enjoy cafe bustelo. What does it pair well with, mudcakes? If you ever catch a raft to the first world give me a yell and I'll share some actual coffee with you.

• 1Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I may get laughed out of the coffee thread... But I've been hooked on Cafe Bustelo since my Puerto Rican wife introduced me to it 8ish years ago. It's dirt cheap at any big box/grocery store. I make it in a stovetop espresso pot and add to warm milk. An actual steamer would be best, but I just do microwaved milk. Talking under a dollar per day for what I think turns out better than a shop cappuccino.
you actually might benefit from an
aeropress

since ppl have said this is espresso grind, it wouldn't work in anything but moka pots and an aeropress really. (too fine for drip)

is this the yellow bricks i see in the coffee isle?

*edit
oh it is

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone else here ever experented with am ibrik, I love Turkish coffee but haven't found anywhere to get one recently, my old place closed. Was thinking of getting one and making it mysef.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone else here ever experented with am ibrik, I love Turkish coffee but haven't found anywhere to get one recently, my old place closed. Was thinking of getting one and making it mysef.
never could stomach it too sludgy for me (i figure most say this too), these new cheap hario clone coffee grinders can do turkish grind really (turkish grind basically makes confectioners sugar)
hand grinder

the turkish pots cost anywhere from a few dollars to 50ish, you know depending on stainless steel or copper and then it just gets ornate (i'm sure you've seen them)
turkish coffee pot

Turkish pot is actually the only method i don't have on hand at home.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The fucking coffee spells favorite with the inferior "u" making it worse than Folgers.

Edit: Stop making me feel like I'm in Canada.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A lawyer told me today the second magnifica they sent me is as good as mine because I have emails telling them not to send it and they did anyway.

Tickled.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I am laughing and then crying at how sad someone's existence must be to enjoy cafe bustelo. What does it pair well with, mudcakes? If you ever catch a raft to the first world give me a yell and I'll share some actual coffee with you.

Lol. I'm an unrefined coffee drinker admittedly. The last time someone tried to turn me on to fancy stuff I just couldn't tell the difference. All I know is that I like a strong, clean espresso flavor paired with the texture of the milk. The coffee stand cappuccino always tastes to weak to me.