Collector's Editions

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I just don't get 'em.

Bioshock Infinite has two versions:

Premium Edition ($79.99) comes with the game, a comic book (kinda cool if it has additional story I guess), DLC (pass), lithograph (pass), and a keychain (pass).

The Ultimate Edition is $149.99 and includes a Songbird statue. Seriously? I don't know what's more embarrassing, buying a video game statue a la Dwight Schrute's crystal wizard, or admitting that I watched the entire series of The Office?

That's a lot of money for tchotchkes.

I don't care how people spend their money, I've spent money on pretty stupid things from time to time, but what could game makers do to make these collector's editions more...worthwhile?

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's never "worth it". It's just there to lure impulse buyers into making rash decisions that they will later regret.

And none of those things is more embarrassing than admitting I bought the Digital Deluxe edition of Sim City...

Needless

Toe Sucker
The only time i buy a special edition is usually when its something small, and comes with the OST/few others for ~$10 more.
$150 special editions are retarded

joz123

Potato del Grande
Only collector's edition of a game I have bought so far was for Infamous 2. There was a price error and it was the same price as the regular edition when it first came out. Otherwise I couldn't care less about buying them.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Only thing that makes a collectors edition worthwhile is an art book. The statues and all that crap usually just gather dust on the shelf anyway, but I'm a fan of video game art so I don't mind taking those down to look at every now and then.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I just don't get 'em.

Bioshock Infinite has two versions:

Premium Edition ($79.99) comes with the game, a comic book (kinda cool if it has additional story I guess), DLC (pass), lithograph (pass), and a keychain (pass).

The Ultimate Edition is $149.99 and includes a Songbird statue. Seriously? I don't know what's more embarrassing, buying a video game statue a la Dwight Schrute's crystal wizard, or admitting that I watched the entire series of The Office?

That's a lot of money for tchotchkes.

I don't care how people spend their money, I've spent money on pretty stupid things from time to time, but what could game makers do to make these collector's editions more...worthwhile?
Pretty sure the Ultimate Edition came with 4 copies, one for every platform. So that's 240$ worth of games right there if you have friends. Which you probably don't if you're buying Collectors Editions of single player games.

Cybsled

Depends on the CE and what you get. I usually liked the art books and the soundtracks with the Blizzard CEs.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
You think comic books are cool, but a statue from a videogame and watching the office are embarrassing...
No.

Pretty sure the Ultimate Edition came with 4 copies, one for every platform. So that's 240$ worth of games right there if you have friends. Which you probably don't if you're buying Collectors Editions of single player games.
First sentence incorrect. Third sentence correct.

I guess I'm just a nutter since these things seem to sell out. Wouldn't be made if people weren't buying them.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
No.

First sentence incorrect. Third sentence correct.

I guess I'm just a nutter since these things seem to sell out. Wouldn't be made if people weren't buying them.
Or maybe some of us like being able to decorate with stuff we enjoy?
I use alot of the ce items at my office.
They look nice.
Does it matter what anyone other than the owner of my company thinks? Nope.
Just because you are insecure doesn't mean there is something wrong with the product.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think the only collector's editions I ever bought are Starcraft 2 and HotS, simply because of how much time I spend playing those games. Witcher and Witcher 2 normal editions had more stuff included than most collector's I think, so I don't know if it counts. Bioshock Infinite digital preorder on GMG had Xcom, Bioshock 1 and Civ5/Specops/something included for 45 USD, so if there's anything to take away from this story it's that console gamers are getting ripped off.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Lol, I've hit a nerve. Being self-aware is entirely different than being insecure, in fact, quite the opposite seeing as I called myself out.

I don't give a shit what people want to spend their money on but $70 for a Songbird statue seems excessive to me. I think if developers are going to keep making CE's, they ought to be held to a higher standard considering what they are charging.

rrr_img_21722.jpg

Sean_sl

shitlord
I don't give a shit what people want to spend their money on but $70 for a Songbird statue seems excessive to me. I think if developers are going to keep making CE's, they ought to be held to a higher standard considering what they are charging.
Good statues are by no means cheap. High quality ones can runmuchhigher than $70.

I think you're just disconnected from how much this type of thing actually costs. $70 is not that bad for how big that statue was and the quality level of it. I personally didn't get it since I had other shit to buy, but I definitely considered it.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
I get the collector's edition of stuff because stupid people will pay big money for some stuff.

Example. Last year, some jack ass at a Gamestop here that has this stupid ass anime hair and talks 100mph a second.. dude's a real asshole and looks like a fag.
Anyway, I digress... He was talking about how he collects figurines and toys that come with games and there were some he didn't have. One of which was the Big Daddy when Bioshock was released. I happened to have one... so I told him I have one just sitting in my closet at home and he offered me $400 for it. So, I bought my game, ran home, went back and sure enough he handed me $400 for that stupid thing. Ever since then, I collect the collectors edition and sell them to people that have more money than sense.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Others mentioned it also, but artbooks are what does it for me. Im such a whore for good artbooks that they are a pre-requisite for me deciding to spend the extra cash on a Collectors Edition. Include a good one and Ill throw down money on day 1 of pre-orders for it. Cosmetic stuff in game is nice but usually not enough to justify the extra cost. NIS is the worst offender by far, those guys know exactly how to milk that extra cash from me with their Collector's/Limited Edition stuff.

It's almost apples and oranges to compare the two, but if the statues/figures that come packed in with the Super Ultra Mega Deluxe editions or whatever are of good quality, they are more than worth the extra cash if you're into that sorta thing. Ive been collecting anime pvc figures for a while and price wise, the CE statues are pretty affordable by comparison.