College Football 2017-2018 Season

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
As an Auburn fan your only concern should be that Bama dies in a bus/plane crash. It is perfectly acceptable to go for Georgia.

This is how I feel about ole Miss. The whole damn school. And alumni. And employees. And Oxford. Fuk ole Miss

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Participation trophies for everyone!

And the stupid A > B > C = A > C crap was a few years ago. National champs by communitive (sp?) property.

I know this as MMA math. Doesn't work for fights, doubt it works in football.

• 1Solidarity

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
This is where we know you don't know what you are talking about. Blue blood P5 teams don't want to schedule teams like UCF. They can lose because on good years these G5s are actually tough, or they lose and the g5 has a down year which is even worse for the P5 resume. Too much trouble for little reward, and when they do manage to grab a good P5 school to play then they have to hope they are good that year and that the P5 is. Or in UCF's case this year they had Texas and Georgia Tech scheduled. Texas cancelled on them at the beginning of the season and the GA Tech game got cancelled due to the hurricane. So they got Maine and Austin Peay as replacements.

edit: Speculating on how much Auburn checked out for a NY6 bowl is futile. So I'm just going to default to if the big bad P5 school even wanted it half as bad they should have destroyed the lowly G5 like you say those programs would.

For reals?

2016, they had MICH, 2015 Stanford, 2017 they had GT, 2013 they had USC. So it seems like every year they manage to schedule a good team. I'll let you go back and look at those scores.

Speculating it IS futile, but that does not mean it was not a factor. Are you really this fucking dense? Go back and check all the teams that were on pace for BCS / CFP and whiffed on the final week, and then look at their bowl scores. Its not a myth.

But yeah, UCF getting wrecked every year by a P5 school, that looks like a tradition. 2013 they almost pulled it off!

Boise has a better argument for the lack of quality teams, no real marque teams, but some solid P5 conferences on the schedule every year. Even they have squeekers vs chump teams. Hell, your own logic is it doesnt matter if the team is a shitter, put them in! B/c feels.

Here is the litmus test for you, and I'm telling you about this to help you through your density. There used to be posted odds of every team vs every other team, done by Vegas. Go check UCF vs anyone in the CFP (before the bowls). Thats where you can find the list of the actual "best" teams, and the whole point is to HAVE THE BEST TEAMS.

I get it, you FEEL like the little guys should have a chance, because BOise beat OU a decade ago.

Yeah buddy . . .

Oh and calling bullshit on your "I go to games I know those athletes" shit. I'm not a small guy. I'm not a weak guy. And I'm not a slow guy. NCAAF athletes are pure goddamn freaks at the top level. And the difference between BAMA players and UCF players is like the difference between NFL and NCAA, or HS and NCAA. If you can keep them sober, and motivated to play, they would destroy the psyche of UCF. I have been through a contest like that, where the other guy is simply bigger / faster / stronger / better in every way. Its fucking painful. And I resent games like that. And they are legion b/c $$$$.

Dude, you're fucking clueless. UCF has been beating these "powerhouses" for years. You've bought into the grand illusion that these teams are untouchable, and that the difference in talent is THAT huge. At the end of the day, it's a bunch of 20 year olds on grass. Coaching has always, and will always be the ultimate factor. A great coach can take 3 star recruits and make them perform on the level of 4 and 5 stars. A great coach will come up with ways to defeat any team. Scott Frost is a great coach, but he also had great talent to work with. UCF's QB is just as good as any other top QB in the nation.

UCF, just a few years removed from 1-AA, not even in a conference yet, played at Auburn in 1998 with QB Daunte Culpepper, whom would go on to play for the Vikings. UCF led Auburn into the final minute of the game, when Daunte fumbled, and Auburn ran it back to win 10-6.

The next year, UCF played at mighty Alabama... and won!

For many years, UCF played "the big boys" and either won, or came painfully close, to the point that they earned the nickname "UCiF". They scared enough teams, that often scheduling out of conference became incredibly hard. Schools just don't want to risk it.

And let's not forget this gem from 2014. UCF against number 6 Baylor, with current Jacksonville QB, Blake Bortles.

Keep on deluding yourself that UCF isn't legit.

13-0

Beat the team that beat the "best teams"

UCF is your National Champions

Beating these powerhouses for years. . . . alright then, fuck it I'll bite.

2016 - Lost to MICH by 37
2015 - Lost to Houston by 45, lost to Stanford by 24
2014 - Lost to Mizzou (Lol?) by 28
2013 - Lost to USC by 3 (Almost!)
2012 - Lost to OSU by 15 (Not shabby! Moral victory)
2011 - Beat Boston College? Who went 4-8? I dunno.
2010 - Beat UGA by 4 in the Liberty Bowl!

You should have used Boise for this example. I didnt want to go back more than 7 years. Anyway . . .

Edit: Oh you were talking 20 years ago. When playing teams that were moderately ok (BAMA went 3-8 that year). Gotcha.

Shit guys, ND is a shoe in for another 3 peat! Just hoping they can beat Army in the title game!

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
5-1 in NY6 bowls, the only team that has made one and lost from a G5 was Western Michigan against Wisconsin. You can call bullshit all you want, Auburn beats Bama pretty often so I'm assuming they have somewhat the same caliber of Athletes and they didn't impose shit on UCF this year. The funny thing is I started of this posting streak by straight up claiming Alabama would have whupped up on a team like USC and beat this years Ohio State more often then not. Of course they are going to beat UCF 8 or 9 out ten games. But so what they literally got in on their name and past performance for a championship that is supposed to be about this season in which Alabama didn't play for their conference title. Thats some ass backwards shit whether it was USC, Wisky, OSU, or UCF that got fucked. No other major sport does stupid shit like that or would get away with it.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Auburn vs Bama is a ultra high tier rivalry game... I'm starting to think this is all new to you...

How many of those ny6 bowls were vs teams coming off a major let down? Not checking and I honestly don't know.

The past seven years UCF has successfully scheduled P5, and gotten worked in the regular season.

On one hand I get you hang up on conference titles, on the other, if I was still a NCAAF fan, I'd want what I did when I was a fan. The best fucking teams. And this year, that is very likely to be what we got. Maybe OSU instead of Clemson? But would YOU have left out Clemson? Lol

What's the simulated BCS rankings for this year?

https://www.colleyrankings.com/foot2017/bcsLike/bcsLike14.html

Sigh...

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Did the 4 best teams make it? Yes. As the system is set up to do. I don't give a shit about power conferences, undefeated crap conferences and splitting hairs. Again, the system put in the 4 best teams this year. Get over it. Expanding is not going to solve anything. The 7th or 9th team is going to bitch. You have to draw a line somewhere. The system with the 4 works.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
It clearly doesn't.

Expand to have a real playoff instead of an invitational. This is literally the only sport that has this problem.

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
I’ll bite I guess.

The idea that UCF should have gotten into the playoff and are now claiming a national championship is just absurd/moronic. A school, if capable of winning 1/9 times, shouldn’t be in the playoff. That’s akin to what someone said about participation trophies for everyone and I’m sick of that type of stuff.

We also need to get away from thinking you need to win the conference to be in the playoff. The whole thing with CFB is that it’s different than the NFL and other sports. In the NFL you can have a shitty division and a team go 9-7, win the division, and they are in the playoff. Fuck that noise.

Stop trying to make the sport into something it’s not. Could it be done a little better? Maybe. Could we add more teams to the playoff? Sure, but I’m going to be wager that the end result wouldn’t change very much. It’s possible a year or two the 6th or 8th ranked team goes on to win it all but the majority of the time those ranked in the top 1-4 will win because guess what? They are better.

People need to understand that to “bigger” schools the bowls often don’t mean much to them. They want to win but for the most part they wanted to be in a bowl that mattered (in the BCS that was a top tier bowl and now in the CFP it’s just the two) so they don’t play their hearts out. Sure some teams do but most don’t really. It’s just like in the NFL, the pro-bowl sucks because no one wants to get hurt for next season. It gets complicated by the fact a lot of these teams in college have a larger collection of individuals going to the next level in the NFL that are just one injury away from that never happening. I want to make it clear that I’m not saying other smaller schools don’t have talent that goes to the NFL as they surely do but to think the P5 schools don’t have more of this and it impacts them differently is idiotic.

• 1Salty

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
I just realized that The Edge The Edge is using the fact that Blake Bortles played at UCF as ammunition that they are a good team. If you really think that then it’s futile to even discuss these things as you UCF fans are delusional.

Jacksonville being in the playoffs this year has very little to do with Bortles (hint: defense and run game).

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Gaming Ghost>
Looks like UCF's athletic department and administration should be lobbying hard to get into a better conference. Until then, you're not going to get a team whose schedule had FIU, SMU, ECU, Austin Peay, and Temple into the playoffs. Hell, UCF didn't even face a ranked team until their final week of the season and it was #20; every CFP team played at least 4 ranked team with one being in the top 10.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
But they beat Auburn, who beat Georgia...well the first time, ignore the second time that they got this shit pushed in by Georgia! (when it really mattered for who was getting into the CFP) Did you know they also beat Alabama! UCF undisputed 2018 CHAMPS!?!?!?!

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Misleading facts are misleading. They played ranked Memphis twice, and won both times. They played ranked USF, and won. USF was ranked, and is still ranked by every other poll except for the CFP Cartel. Hence the accusations that there was a conscious effort to down play UCF's wins. So that's 3 ranked games before Auburn, which would make it 4 total.

And yes, UCF has beaten Alabama and Georgia just a few years back, so all this talk about how their talent can't possibly match up with SEC talent is blatant elitist bullshit.

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, 18 years ago UCF beat Alabama. Hell, in 2010 they beat Georgia like you said. And? The fact is, UCF loses to ranked opponents outside of their conference, more often than they win. As do all of the other G5 members except maybe Boise?

They had a great year, especially after the 2015 season. I mean, it's a great story and MAYBE they deserved to play in the CFP. But that doesn't make them the fucking NC, this isn't 40+ years ago where it was more of a debate. There is a process.

As to their talent, year in and year out, yes they won't match up to P5 schools. It comes down to resources. Money and personnel. 4-5 star recruits aren't typically going to go there. For fuck sake, they can't even keep Frost there! And isn't he taking a lot of his staff with him? Yeah, lets see how they do next year, I bet it won't be all that great.

Sterling

El Presidente
Boise was definitely an outlier. They had a good run for a number of years, it wasn't a short burst from having 1 standout QB coming out of nowhere or something.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
UCF since 2005

1. National Title: 2017

Conference Titles: 2017, 2014, 2013, 2010, 2007

Division Titles: 2017, 2012, 2010, 2007, 2005

Major Bowl Wins: 2017, 2013

Bowl Wins: 2017, 2013, 2012, 2010

Bowl Appearances: 2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2005

10+ win seasons: 2017, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2007

Top 10 wins: Auburn, Baylor, Louisville

Top 25 wins: Auburn, Memphis, usf, Baylor, Louisville, Houston

Weeks in the Top 25: 2017 (11), 2013 (9), 2010 (4)

Season Ending Top 25 Finishes: 2017, 2013, 2010

Notable Wins: #7 Auburn, #14 Memphis, #19 usf, Maryland, BYU, #5 Baylor, Rutgers, #6 Louisville, Penn St, Boston College, Georgia, #12 Houston, NC St

• 1Worf

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly

2016 lost to Michigan and Maryland
2015 lost to everyone
2014 lost to Penn State, Mizzu, NC State
2013 lost to South Carolina beat Louisville and Baylor (Meh)
2012 lost to Ohio and Mizzu
2011 didn't really play anyone
2010 lost to NC state beat Georgia
2009 lost to Miami and Texas
2008 lost to Miami
2007 beat NC state lost to Miss state
2006 lost to Florida
2005 lost to South Carolina
2004 oops, lost to everyone AGAIN

Come on dude, like I said, this year was an amazing year for them caped off by a great win over a quality opponent. That's it. The lose against quality teams far more than they win. But sure after Monday be all #NOTMYNATIONALCHAMPS if you want.