Comcast Agrees to Buy Time Warner Cable

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
People will only understand the issue once they can't watch netflix for the rest of the month.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Rumor has it ATT is going to buy directv. I wonder bad it has to get before the Government steps in and breaks up these media conglomerates like it did with ATT back in the day?
I hope that Obama blocks the comcast/time warner deal like it did the ATT/tmobile deal.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Or in a few years when they are paying 100-200 bucks a month from overage charges. Then people will be ready to riot.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It won't really happen like that. The Netflixes of the world will just pay, it is the smaller companies who can't pay that will get fucked. Innovation is the real victim here. If these rules had been in place 15 years ago we wouldn't have a Netflix or a Youtube or whatever. Fucking unreal. But until these companies get off their ass and get a marketing strategy that makes people understand how this impacts them, the bad guys win.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Rumor has it ATT is going to buy directv. I wonder bad it has to get before the Government steps in and breaks up these media conglomerates like it did with ATT back in the day?
I hope that Obama blocks the comcast/time warner deal like it did the ATT/tmobile deal.
Wow, definitely makes me decision to get rid of DirecTV in July seem like a better one.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
FCC Proposes Treating Online Video Providers Akin to Cable - Hollywood Reporter

This is a good move, right?..from Tom Wheeler? I'm so confused.

The idea of being able to select different packages or even *gasp* a-la-carte packages gives me wood. Cable companies being able to prescribe the terms and price of it shrivels me up.

Wheeler gives Aereo a shout-out inhis post about the futureand signals how "new OTTs may offer smaller or specialized packages of video programming, so consumers will be able to mix-and-match to suit their tastes."Importantly, though, Wheeler stops short of providing many details about the rule that he has in mind. It might help Aereo. It might not.
In 2012 filings by Fox, Disney and CBS, they all stress that even if the FCC takes an expansive view of what an MVPD is, that doesn't negate certain legal requirements.
As CBSputs it, "There is nothing in the definition of 'multichannel video programming distributor' in the Communications Act that compels an interpretation of that phrase that would defeat the clear intent of Congress that broadcasters be able to negotiate compensation for the retransmission of their signals."
As Disneyposits, "Broadcasters must maintain the rights to control the retransmission of their signals over all distribution platforms, including the Internet, and to negotiate for compensation for distribution of such signals."

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The issue with Internet based cable is the provider determined data caps when they come into play. So it's good news but ultimately going to pad the cable companies pockets as you "cut" the cord and use shit tons of data. Especially as bandwidth increases. Any company that tries it will likely also have to pay just like Netflix did or their customers will suffer <buffering Please Wait...>

A la carte is a pipe dream. Take a look at CBS charging $6 a month for access to see that future. You can just about get a package for close to what just the networks would cost. Regardless, if it does take off the number of channels available would slim down over time which some might say is good until they realize they'll be stuck with all the mass market shit they don't want to watch.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The end result of ala carte will be everyone paying the same amount that they payed before, but with less channels to choose from since the more niche networks won't be subsidized by the big ones anymore.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ala carte still doesn't fix the issue of Internet access, and the Duopoly that Telecom/Cable companies have created...

Rural areas of the US have 1 if there lucky 2 options for internet access, with that whole rural network built on 10year old tech, sense the companies say that it's too "expensive" to perform upgrades.....even though the price for Fibre Optic cable has gone down tremendously.....

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The end result of ala carte will be everyone paying the same amount that they payed before, but with less channels to choose from since the more niche networks won't be subsidized by the big ones anymore.
This is true.