Comic Books

Caliane

yeah, sounds like its going to be a great story. We'll see where they go with it. (superiour spiderman that is)

I think I prefer my tablet to reading on the pc honestly.

I mentioned this before. But tablet platforms take 30% off the top for all sales on them. this is everything. Including things you buy on comixology.
Then comixology takes 50%. This leaves 35% for publisher/creators. If you have a publisher, aka darkhorse, Image, Archia, etc, they take 50%
Retailers are thus getting 65% of a digital comic, on a tablet. Creators 17%ish. 34c on a 1.99 comic. If it sells 5000, then creators get $1741 between writer, pencils, inker, colorist, letters, editor, assistant. thats $87/page or $14/page per personish. I dont know about you, but I pretty much will not work for $2-3/hour.

Buying direct from comixology, on the PC, then downloading to your tablet. should bypass the apple/google 30%. this also has the advantage of a check out. Buy, ok. buy ok, Buy ok. on the tablet is a bit annoying. selecting 20 books, and doing checkout once I like personally.
Buying direct from the creators if that is an option is also REALLY good for us. Try to look into if that is an option for any not DC/Marvel book you might consider.
Terry moore for example, sells direct hard copies.
http://www.strangersinparadise.com/store.html
Rachel rising is one of my favorites right now.

When I get around to self publishing, I'll probably sell direct cbrs, in addition to comixology.

I should mention, that math is largely why most artists, know we need to work via alternative revenue streams. t-shirts, etc. Even webcomics, give the comic for free. Both of the indies, I'm working on, are going the webcomic route.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
And then Peter Parker went to Hell after having been irrevocably corrupted by his dealings with Mephisto while Doc Ock commits rape by fraud again and again and again and again.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
My google-fu is failing me, and I don't have a scanner handy,
But one of the more memorable parts of any comic to me was in Azrael #100.
It was when a bloodied and shot to death Azrael talks to batman right before going to heaven/ the afterlife.

I might just be a huge Azrael fan who remembers that last issue far too well, but that two panels have stuck with me for a while.

Maybe i can download the cbr and try to get the image.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't even realize that leaked so early, I thought it was out this week and it's not out until next.

A lot of great books out this week though.

Isengard_sl

shitlord
No Manga?

http://view.mangamonger.com/ichi-the-killer/

1345747870283.jpg

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I just read it, and I don't know what to say.
What bothers me isn't that Peter Parker is going to be tormented in Hell due to being irrevocably corrupted from his dealing with Mephisto or that Doctor Octopus is going to commit rape by fraud over and over and over. What bothers me is that part of the justification given for One More Day was that Spiderman needed to be in a state that someone only familiar with the films could understand if they went and bought a comic. The relaunch was going to be classic Spiderman doing classic Spiderman stuff.

Well a film just came out and now we have this pile.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
What bothers me isn't that Peter Parker is going to be tormented in Hell due to being irrevocably corrupted from his dealing with Mephisto or that Doctor Octopus is going to commit rape by fraud over and over and over. What bothers me is that part of the justification given for One More Day was that Spiderman needed to be in a state that someone only familiar with the films could understand if they went and bought a comic. The relaunch was going to be classic Spiderman doing classic Spiderman stuff.

Well a film just came out and now we have this pile.
Caliane made a comment on the other boards that made sense. This just feels like Disney is screwing with Sony since it can't have the rights to one of the most popular charachters ever. Disney wants the rights back, Sony won't give them up, so then Disney kills off Peter Parker in every continuity there is, as an F.U. to Sony.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense, in that respect.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Am I a bad person because I kind of want it to work? The last Spider-Man movie was about a half step ahead of Meet the Spartans. Every bit as bad as FF2 or X3.

Anyways, I mentioned on one of the other boards but it's gone in to the ether. So here's my last post from FoH.
So I guess The Boys is done now. I am legitimately bummed out to not have them to look forward to anymore. I think they managed to keep the same artists for the whole run, and of course Ennis was the writer from start to finish. Always nice to see a series complete it's entire run and tell it's whole story all with the same team top to bottom.

I can't imagine anyone here hasn't tried it out, but just in case you haven't yet you really should. Especially now that it's finished.

Caliane

sony has movie rights to Spiderman. only movie though. and makes me wonder what exactly that contract says.

the movieverse spiderman is the cartoon Ultimate spiderman. white 15yr old.
But what if they have a 12yr old black kid.. can they make a movie with THAT spiderman? Its a different character.

But anyway. Mindswap shit happens all the time. You are only freaking out because its not resolved in 1 issue. Lets see where they go with it first.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Am I a bad person because I kind of want it to work? The last Spider-Man movie was about a half step ahead of Meet the Spartans. Every bit as bad as FF2 or X3.

Anyways, I mentioned on one of the other boards but it's gone in to the ether. So here's my last post from FoH.
I can't fathom how bad the comic book is going to be now, with Doc Ock as Spidey. So yes, that would make you a bad person.

Dom_sl

shitlord
I'm not much of a Spidey fan, but I gave 699, 699.1 and 700 a read... and it struck me as another retarded spiderman storyline that you always hear about, like the clone shit. Marvel's been trying to get rid of Peter Parker for decades, but they always return to him shortly after.

Marvel is really sucking for me lately, and I find myself leaning towards DC now. The new 52 Batman has been fucking awesome, and death of the family is great so far.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
sony has movie rights to Spiderman. only movie though. and makes me wonder what exactly that contract says.

the movieverse spiderman is the cartoon Ultimate spiderman. white 15yr old.
But what if they have a 12yr old black kid.. can they make a movie with THAT spiderman? Its a different character.

But anyway. Mindswap shit happens all the time. You are only freaking out because its not resolved in 1 issue. Lets see where they go with it first.
I'm sorry but the whole thing is just fucking retarded. Why oh why can't they find decent writers anymore? Instead we get really bad shit like The Clone Wars, A New Day and whatever the fuck this story is.

I mean really, Doc Ock is Spidey? As a long time Spider-Man fan and collector (started in 1977) this has to be the most god awful storyline I have ever read.

On one hand I'm thinking this has got to be a continuing story and the body of Peter Parker won't be inhabited by the mind of Doc Ock. They already tried to switch this in the Clone Wars and that didn't sit well. Now we have Doc Ock's mind in Peter Parker's body with Peter's memories but you know what, it's NOT PETER.

On the other hand, I'm thinking, they might actually be trying to do this and if they really are, Marvel writers have no fucking clue about their audience.

Peter Parker = Spider-Man
Spider-Man = Peter Parker

That's it, no ifs ands or buts and no Doc Ock's mind in Peter Parker's body with Pete's memories. It doesn't work.

Here's hoping 701 fixes this stupid story.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Caliane made a comment on the other boards that made sense. This just feels like Disney is screwing with Sony since it can't have the rights to one of the most popular charachters ever. Disney wants the rights back, Sony won't give them up, so then Disney kills off Peter Parker in every continuity there is, as an F.U. to Sony.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense, in that respect.
That idea has logic I can follow so I am going to go with that over the people writing the comic have gone mad. It's still a pretty big Fuck You to the faithful readers of the comics if they are slowly shitting all over a beloved character due to a desire to regain the movie rights.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That idea has logic I can follow so I am going to go with that over the people writing the comic have gone mad. It's still a pretty big Fuck You to the faithful readers of the comics if they are slowly shitting all over a beloved character due to a desire to regain the movie rights.
Couldn't you see the suits at Disney trying to do anything they could to get the rights back to a character worth billions? Arguably, before the Avengers movies he was probably worth more than the rest of the company combined. Not only that, but this is a rival movie company with one of your biggest characters.

It's not about the readers; there is no money in that any more. It's about the movies raking in billions. From a corporate strategy perspective, they could give a rat's ass about the pennies comics are bringing in.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It makes perfect sense and it is a plan that is both simple and elegant.

With comics it is true that they are not a cash cow but the intellectual properties of comic book characters can be incredibly valuable. The purchasing of Marvel by Disney gave them a massive pool of characters to make films with and to merchandise. They are stacking paper to the ceiling with them. If you choose to shit on the comics themselves what you are doing is deciding that you are just fine getting as many golden eggs right now as you can even if it means choking the goose to death in the process. I'm just a crazy person on the internet but were I calling the shots I would want to always be providing strong support to the comic industry that we bought in to so in the future we could look forward to more new characters to later monetize. Have both a short term and a long term strategy for those silly funny books we now own and produce. Creating a mega profitable character like Spiderman takes time. I would want more than just the licenses we initially acquired. I would wantmorelicenses down the way as well. Part of doing that means not taking large dumps all over comic book readers.

I really don't know how comic book fans even do it to be honest. I started trying to follow what was going on in Marvel and DC back in 2003 and between then and now I've seen so much retarded shit that I've all but given up on the medium. There are absolutely amazing stories being told in comic books but when they are bad they are so bad they make me want to walk away from the whole thing.

Caliane

The Gail Simone business of the last week is more hilarity on DC's incompetence.

Gail first finds on on twitter from fans that shes been fired. Denys it, because no one told her. Gets an email later that day, saying shes been fired from Batgirl.
Some other guy, is given the job.
4 days later? Gail Simone, the new writer on Batgirl.