Computer Issues

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
After taking everything down to one PC, I am now preparing to play EQ and box a second character on a true box server. So.. Back to having multiple PC's hooked up in my office. I went to turn on the Z97/GTX970 computer and it didnt start. Reading the error codes off the mobo didnt help one single flying fuck. So I had to experiment with it a bit. The codes would show power issues, then over heating issues, and then just some general fucking code that had a list of possible issues. Like, come the fuck on. Ancient POS mobo.

I found out that it had onboard video after all this time, though. Probably the reason it never got used is because the prebuilt people kept the little block inside the plug on the mobo, and put the case on top of it. I had to get pliers just to jerk that SOB out. Pretty cool, but also pretty useless in the grand scheme. I finally narrowed the issue down to the SSD had probably failed, and looked into the specs of the mobo to see what I could replace it with. Turns out that mobo has a Gen 2 NVME slot, and I found a 1 TB Gen 3 NVME for 50 bucks and slapped that fucker in it. My new computer has like 6 fucking NVME slots, so the worst that could happen is that it didnt fix the issue and I throw it into the new PC I have. Now that the NVME was in it, the computer would turn on... but it would go into Power Shell and sit there, or I could go to bios. Going into the Bios and it didnt even show the NVME. Couldnt figure out what was going on for a day or so, and then I had the epiphany to update the bios. MSI apparently updated that Bios at least a dozen times. Updated the Bios, the bios saw the NVME, Installed windows and its now a happy camper. I even cleaned the inside of the PC so well that it looks new.

Now heres the kicker .....

That Z97/4790k/Gtx970 gets into Windows in probably 10-15 seconds flat, now. I mean, that SOB is fucking QUICK. I know the NVME scales down to Gen 2, so that cant be it. So.. Im starting to realize that .. I dont have my Z790/13900k/GTX4090 Bios setup properly. It has a Gen 4 Samsung 990 Pro 2TB in it. But its a good 30-40 seconds to startup. Once everything is running, its lightning quick. But that startup time has me doubting myself. ANOTHER issue with it, is that sometimes when I update the 4090 (Strix), it defaults to the onboard video when nothing is plugged into it. So it'll look like the computer is hung up on a black screen, but if I plug up the onboard video - its just routing the video that way instead.

What the fuck do I do, you software people? I can build you anything you want, but Im chicken shit of the Bios - no lie. I at least knew how to turn on XMP and its stepbrother's variant, but ffs.. Boot Sequence and all that shit just makes me feel retarded. Like, does it need to load anything other than? or what?

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
That Z97/4790k/Gtx970 gets into Windows in probably 10-15 seconds flat, now. I mean, that SOB is fucking QUICK. I know the NVME scales down to Gen 2, so that cant be it. So.. Im starting to realize that .. I dont have my Z790/13900k/GTX4090 Bios setup properly. It has a Gen 4 Samsung 990 Pro 2TB in it. But its a good 30-40 seconds to startup. Once everything is running, its lightning quick. But that startup time has me doubting myself. ANOTHER issue with it, is that sometimes when I update the 4090 (Strix), it defaults to the onboard video when nothing is plugged into it. So it'll look like the computer is hung up on a black screen, but if I plug up the onboard video - its just routing the video that way instead.

What the fuck do I do, you software people? I can build you anything you want, but Im chicken shit of the Bios - no lie. I at least knew how to turn on XMP and its stepbrother's variant, but ffs.. Boot Sequence and all that shit just makes me feel retarded. Like, does it need to load anything other than? or what?

You probably need to turn off the memory training on every boot. (Sometimes called Memory Context).

Depending on your board disable memory training in the bios by enabling the "Memory Context Restore" feature (Extreme Tweaker > DRAM Timing Control > Memory Context Restore -> Enabled).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
New (had it about 2 months) laptop did a weird set of things over about 30 minutes yesterday.

-Opened computer up, started doing things. After a few minutes internet cut out, as it often does around here regardless of computer. Went to get reconnected to the router and it said "no wireless adapter detected".

-Rebooted, still no wireless adapter detected.

-Shut off suddenly, figured it was out of power but I don't know (no battery low message that popped up, but I had also just opened it up after it was sitting around unplugged all day so it could have been low and maybe I just didn't notice the battery icon)

-Plug it in, turn it back on, computer does Lenovo logo and then a "no boot device" message pops up, says to enter a boot USB. I don't have a boot USB for this, haven't needed a boot disc for any computer since the 2000's.

-Reboot a couple more times, just says "enter a boot USB" every time. Realize I'm gonna have to return this thing and start assessing if there are any files on it that I would need to retrieve somehow.

-Unplug everything (mouse, power cord), leave it off for a few minutes, turn it back on, starts up with no issue, wireless adapter is fine, everything might actually be running better than it was before.

Is this a normal set of events to spontaneously happen? Should I return it and get another one? That would eat up an afternoon of time and I don't even know if Best Buy would allow a clean swap without going through a "we have to hold onto it for 2 weeks" Geek Squad scenario and all that shit, since it's been more than 30 days. In short, I don't want to return it, but if this is a huge red flag that the computer is a dud, let me know.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
New (had it about 2 months) laptop did a weird set of things over about 30 minutes yesterday.

-Opened computer up, started doing things. After a few minutes internet cut out, as it often does around here regardless of computer. Went to get reconnected to the router and it said "no wireless adapter detected".

-Rebooted, still no wireless adapter detected.

-Shut off suddenly, figured it was out of power but I don't know (no battery low message that popped up, but I had also just opened it up after it was sitting around unplugged all day so it could have been low and maybe I just didn't notice the battery icon)

-Plug it in, turn it back on, computer does Lenovo logo and then a "no boot device" message pops up, says to enter a boot USB. I don't have a boot USB for this, haven't needed a boot disc for any computer since the 2000's.

-Reboot a couple more times, just says "enter a boot USB" every time. Realize I'm gonna have to return this thing and start assessing if there are any files on it that I would need to retrieve somehow.

-Unplug everything (mouse, power cord), leave it off for a few minutes, turn it back on, starts up with no issue, wireless adapter is fine, everything might actually be running better than it was before.

Is this a normal set of events to spontaneously happen? Should I return it and get another one? That would eat up an afternoon of time and I don't even know if Best Buy would allow a clean swap without going through a "we have to hold onto it for 2 weeks" Geek Squad scenario and all that shit, since it's been more than 30 days. In short, I don't want to return it, but if this is a huge red flag that the computer is a dud, let me know.
1.you probably had a fucked up leprechaun on shrooms messing w/ you

or
2. really maybe your uefi bios got really fucked and your southbridge where all your pcie stuff (hard drive wireless adapater) just stopped working

for some reason

and the way you "fixed it" was by unplugging it was maybe you got lucky your laptop was dying so you ran it dead, drained the battery and w/ no ac adapater on you cleared up a bad memory effect on your bios and now it magically works again.

i'm sure everyone is gonna say its the fucking leprechaun and i just made up #2 out of thin air

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1.you probably had a fucked up leprechaun on shrooms messing w/ you

or
2. really maybe your uefi bios got really fucked and your southbridge where all your pcie stuff (hard drive wireless adapater) just stopped working

for some reason

and the way you "fixed it" was by unplugging it was maybe you got lucky your laptop was dying so you ran it dead, drained the battery and w/ no ac adapater on you cleared up a bad memory effect on your bios and now it magically works again.

i'm sure everyone is gonna say its the fucking leprechaun and i just made up #2 out of thin air

1714167515499.png

Well, I don't know, but I'm really hoping the computer is okay from here on out because it having something like this happen after a relatively short time is worrisome.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A stick of my G.Skill memory died... for some reason? Computer was repeatedly turning on and off until I removed that specific stick and, now the PC is fine. I dont even do anything that pushes the hardware I have, so it kind of makes me laugh in roll my eyes kind of way that something would go bad in a computer I built back in May of last year. Didnt even make it a full year!

Anyways, I did an RMA with G.Skill - anyone have experience with their RMA process?

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
A stick of my G.Skill memory died... for some reason? Computer was repeatedly turning on and off until I removed that specific stick and, now the PC is fine. I dont even do anything that pushes the hardware I have, so it kind of makes me laugh in roll my eyes kind of way that something would go bad in a computer I built back in May of last year. Didnt even make it a full year!

Anyways, I did an RMA with G.Skill - anyone have experience with their RMA process?
I had some a few PC's ago that became error generators . They sent me a new one without hassle. This was before COVID era bullshit though. I cannot even remember the last time I've used anything other than G.Skill. Bang for buck they are hard to beat.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I have a new computer running windows 11. Edge is being an asshole. It wants to open every goddamn thing. I go into settings and try to change the default apps for things like HTML and PDF files, and it always switches right back to edge.

Anyone know how to fix this? I didn't want to rip it out by its short hairs, but I'm ready to go that route if it's possible.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have a new computer running windows 11. Edge is being an asshole. It wants to open every goddamn thing. I go into settings and try to change the default apps for things like HTML and PDF files, and it always switches right back to edge.

Anyone know how to fix this? I didn't want to rip it out by its short hairs, but I'm ready to go that route if it's possible.
i always just do this, right click properties
d6ca798f4935b9c60389ecea85c5b510.png

and it'll give you the option to open once or set as deffault

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Microsoft did go full asshole in Win11, making you have to select the default program for every file type it might open, instead of just setting one default browser. With major windows updates, it even sometimes resets it to the default of edge opening everything it can.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Microsoft did go full asshole in Win11, making you have to select the default program for every file type it might open, instead of just setting one default browser. With major windows updates, it even sometimes resets it to the default of edge opening everything it can.
And It's only going to get worse. My new gaming rig is the only one in the house that has Win 11 on it. Wife used it and hated it. Unfortunately for her, she really needs an upgrade as well and it doesn't make sense (now) to stay with Win 10 on a new machine.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And It's only going to get worse. My new gaming rig is the only one in the house that has Win 11 on it. Wife used it and hated it. Unfortunately for her, she really needs an upgrade as well and it doesn't make sense (now) to stay with Win 10 on a new machine.
if you have windows 10 and forget to turn off auto updates, they'll update to win11

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
i always just do this, right click properties
d6ca798f4935b9c60389ecea85c5b510.png

and it'll give you the option to open once or set as deffault
It doesn't give me the open once or set default options when I right click and select open with. Doing it your way would be just for that one file, right? Either way I bet there's no option. I'll check tomorrow.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It doesn't give me the open once or set default options when I right click and select open with. Doing it your way would be just for that one file, right? Either way I bet there's no option. I'll check tomorrow.

When you use the right click > open with option, there should be a checkbox or similar option to always use the chosen program to open that file type.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Make sure to select choose another app, even if the program is listed in the right click menu, and you should get to this menu.

win11_always_open.jpg
is that win10? my win11 only has the option to "set default", which still works

Hoss Hoss you can also try searching for "default apps" in the search bar (no idea where this shit is in control panel) and you can set per extension

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Hoss Hoss you can also try searching for "default apps" in the search bar (no idea where this shit is in control panel) and you can set per extension

I just grabbed that online from here so it's not my image, but the other images on that page all look like win11. The only win11 machine I have is my Surface, which I hardly use now that I work from home.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

This is exactly what I was doing and it wasn't working. It either didn't change, or I got a popup saying there was a problem with the app and it was swapping back to edge.

I just grabbed that online from here so it's not my image, but the other images on that page all look like win11. The only win11 machine I have is my Surface, which I hardly use now that I work from home.

Apparently my computer was just being a little bitch yesterday, because today all of those methods work. Yesterday it wasn't giving me the 'always' option when I tried to 'open with'. Today when I tried it, some of the things I tried to change last night were already changed. PDF files were still going to edge, but it swapped it on the first try.

I'll have to keep an eye on this. Thanks for the help. I fucked around with my last new computer for a week before we decided it was defective, then I waited 2 months to get this one.

• 1Like