Computer Issues

jeydax

Death and Taxes
TLDR: A lot of the combo routers have rebooting/restarting/general stability issues (modem side) and generally do not have as good of performance on the router side. It really boils down to stability more than anything else.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm curious as to what/why? I've had a motorola sbg6580 or something like that for like 10 years and never really had any problems with it

Pretty much everything that jeydax jeydax said. Plus with a standalone router you usually get more config options and such. Plus, you usually have a reason to upgrade routers more often than modems, so having a separate router makes that easier.

Ryanz

<Banned>
So for about a week now I've had this command prompt quickly open and close itself on my computer every hour or so. I didn't think much of it, I thought it was probably some program I downloaded that was acting strange and I would get around to fixing it eventually since it wasn't causing me too many problems. As time went on it became more and more annoying. I couldn't play games without it popping up and minimizing the screen. Come to find out I wasn't the only one with this issue. Apparently it has to do with Microsoft Office scheduling a task in windows. If you have this problem as well, here is how to fix it:

Go to your Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Office > Right click "OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration" > Disable.

viola, no more annoying pop up.

• 2Like

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I just started to notice this happening to me and wondered what is was and how to turn it off.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'll post this here because I don't know where else to put it. Maybe someone can help. I've tried everything I can think of, and Googling, but honestly I don't even know what the correct search terms would be. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing addresses this issue.

So as you can see on this screenshot, the Predator 2 folder is highlighted. You can't see it but my mouse is just hovering over it, I haven't actually clicked it. But notice how the light blue highlight is the entire width of the column? Meaning, it is as long as the longest item in that column. Prior to about a month ago, if I wanted to move something into that folder from another folder, I could drag it to anywhere off to the right of those shorter filenames and let go, and it would just move it into the 1Movies folder because the shorter folder's "selection area" only extended as far as their names. Now, if I do the same thing, it will drop it into the highlighted folder (in this case, Predator 2). I don't want that. I like to keep multiple folders open like that and move them around, but now it is pissing me off because the only spot I can drop it and have it to into the 1Movies folder is literally on the borders of the window itself. I usually use the bottom border, but there is typically a lot more empty space in the middle somewhere than trying to pinpoint the bottom border precisely without hitting the motherfucking scroll bar. Particularly since I usually have this window partially hidden under another window, and dragging/dropping doesn't bring this one to the forefront, so most of the "blank space" I could click on is covered. It was incredibly fucking easy before when I had all the blank space in the center of the window to work with, and now I get annoyed every goddamn time.

I know, probably making too big of a deal out of it, but I've been doing it this way for years!

Anyone have any idea what the fuck I'm talking about, and how to change it back?
Column Width.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to deal with this too until I just started dropping my rips without folders. I don't need anything but the correct film title and Kodi sorts everything else out. I used to have the same drag and drop complaint until finally I just realized I don't need to dick around with folders in the first place. Just drag the main movie and if there's just a pile of other movies in there, it just adds to the main folder.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but might be an acceptable work around.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
What's your "View" set at? Change it to details, should fix it I think?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What's your "View" set at? Change it to details, should fix it I think?
Changing it to Details gives me blank space off to the right, sure, but I detest how small a number of folders that ends up actually showing me at a time. That's why I use List in the first place.

I used to deal with this too until I just started dropping my rips without folders. I don't need anything but the correct film title and Kodi sorts everything else out. I used to have the same drag and drop complaint until finally I just realized I don't need to dick around with folders in the first place. Just drag the main movie and if there's just a pile of other movies in there, it just adds to the main folder.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but might be an acceptable work around.
I mean, that's an option I suppose, but as you can see I already have 1172 folders in there. Not really excited about stripping all the files out, even if I could get most of them just by searching for .mkv. On top of that, I am in the process of curating the filenames with a program that writes an .nfo file specifically for Kodi and Plex, and the thought of having all those .nfo files intermixed in just one big jumble of files is enough to trigger full-blown ADD in me I think :(

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I mean, that's an option I suppose, but as you can see I already have 1172 folders in there. Not really excited about stripping all the files out, even if I could get most of them just by searching for .mkv. On top of that, I am in the process of curating the filenames with a program that writes an .nfo file specifically for Kodi and Plex, and the thought of having all those .nfo files intermixed in just one big jumble of files is enough to trigger full-blown ADD in me I think :(

Oh, I hear you. I have nearly 10TB worth of media on my NAS. I didn't remove old stuff from folders, rather I just stopped using folders going forward. When I made the decision, I just started adding the media file by itself. Sort the folder by Newest from top to bottom. All your older folder movies will scroll to the bottom.

Side note, what is with this filename curating business and dicking around with NFOs? Kodi doesn't ever seem to miss a beat and gets it right every single time.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh, I hear you. I have nearly 10TB worth of media on my NAS. I didn't remove old stuff from folders, rather I just stopped using folders going forward. When I made the decision, I just started adding the media file by itself. Sort the folder by Newest from top to bottom. All your older folder movies will scroll to the bottom.

Side note, what is with this filename curating business and dicking around with NFOs? Kodi doesn't ever seem to miss a beat and gets it right every single time.
Well, I'm gonna be honest, I'm waaaaay behind on the curating thing, but it is mainly an anal retentive thing on my part. I prefer everything to be in the same nice neat format when I look at it. As you can see from that screenshot, it is mostly just however it comes down from the torrent creator. Nothing wrong with that really when I am not actively looking at it, and you're right that Kodi and Plex seem to get them 99.9% of the time, so it is mostly an aesthetic thing. However, I also find myself wanting to occasionally replace screeners or HC rips and the like with a better version, and this program I use (tinyMediaManager) makes finding those a snap. Yes, I realize I can just search for dvdscr or HC and find them about as fast. But that program also has a nice rename feature that I love, and I've been wanting to use it to get everything just perfect.

But on top of that, for example, when you have Terminator 2 Director's Cut and also Terminator 2 Skynet Edition, Plex and Kodi don't differentiate the two at all. They just say that you have two versions of Terminator 2 (or they did when I started this process years ago, who the fuck knows, maybe they updated it since). tMM has an option where it will allow me to specify that it is a Director's Cut or something custom, like Skynet Edition, and it will show up in both programs as such, while still treating it as just Terminator 2 for purposes of retrieving artwork and trailers and whatever else I decide I want some day in the future.

So yeah, it is mainly just me wanting shit to look all neat and tidy. No one is ever going to see it but me, and the few people with access to my Plex that might decide to watch both versions of Terminator 2, which is why I've slacked way way behind actually doing it, but it is still something I want to do eventually. Dumb, I know. Don't judge me!

• 1Like

Langemede

Golden Knight of the Realm
Help me FoH, you're my only hope. Was playing EQ last night and computer froze so I did a hard reset. During reboot I noticed the below error. I'm somewhat technically proficient, but have never messed with Raid configs before. Some quick google-fu seems like it's fixable, but I haven't found anything less than 8-10 years old. Much love if anyone can assist, no homo.

Nothing important really on the raid disks, its has the OS, work programs (CAD, some Nokia specifc crap), and games. Still would like to fix it up though if possible.

Langemede

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well, I downloaded Intel's Matrix Storage Console and was able to mark the error disk "as normal". Restarted and ran chkdisk again, it fixed some crap it looked like. Computer booted up and seemed laggy initially, and hangs occasionally for 5-10 seconds, but that seems to happen less the longer it's on. Any ideas for making sure the disk is ok? Thoughts, comments? Thanks

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Once disks start failing I'd look into replacements and a backup before it truly is wiped out. Usually stuff like that is the precursor

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Aaaand further reminder why you never put your boot disk on a raid 0

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So apparently whenever I originally installed Windows 7, it put the master boot record on a different hard drive (or maybe I moved hard drives, don't remember). I'm on Win10 now, and was going to remove the hard drive, but all that it currently on it is the MBR. So upon booting I got a no bootable devices error.

What's the best method for getting a MBR on the hard drive my OS is actually on? Without reinstalling.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So apparently whenever I originally installed Windows 7, it put the master boot record on a different hard drive (or maybe I moved hard drives, don't remember). I'm on Win10 now, and was going to remove the hard drive, but all that it currently on it is the MBR. So upon booting I got a no bootable devices error.

What's the best method for getting a MBR on the hard drive my OS is actually on? Without reinstalling.
It's probably not only the MBR, it's also the BCD store (subtle difference)

You will need to create a BCD store on the Windows 10 drive that points at the Windows 10 installation.

From the recovery console:

Type Bootrec /fixmbr

Type Bootrec /fixboot

Type Bootrec /scanos and press the enter key.

Type Bootrec /rebuildbcd and press the enter key.

• 1Like