Computer Issues

Slithum

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum
So whenever Ea updates Origin it won't let me open the program and i have to boot into safe mode to download the update and uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't seem to help.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I have a suspicion my SSD has kicked the bucket, or something :
Since yesterday I was getting nvidia screen driver crashes which has shown itself as the screen tearing up a bit, colors going all crazy, black screen and then normal return to windows. Had to restart the game to get back in, titles affected were Red Faction Guerilla (dx9) and Dota 2, normal desktop, surfing etc was fine in the meantime. Updated drivers, windows (legal 8.1) Then today everything was fine, but Red Faction straight up BSOD'd me with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, which isn't very specific, but suggests some hardware issue. Whatever, booted up again, everything was fine, played a Dota 2 game without any hiccups. Then later I tried a normal game and about 10 minutes in, I firsst got a screen tearing, which recovered itself in about 10 seconds and then just straight up hard reboot without any BSOD and can't load up windows even into recovery mode.

So, what are my options ? SSD is about 4 years old 128 GB that din't have much besides windows/browser/a game or two, so I haven't lost much data if it's dead. Are there any options to recover the installation or am I better off just buying a new one, or maybe am I completely off the mark ?

The system was rock solid for years, I don't even remeber last time I crashed, so it happening out of the blue is rather annoying.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How sure are you it's the SSD?

To me it sounds like the video card is dying and the crash may have happened during a critical write or something and fucked up the MBR

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I don't think I'd be able to play 45 minuta Dota 2 bot game without problems otherwise, however that is also a possibility, since it's by today's standards ancient GTX 760. Making recovery USB as I type this, so I might be wiser soon.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Had an odd issue occur the other night. I decided I wanted to try out SLI with my current 970GTX, so I bought an identical one (used - via amazon re-seller) and threw it in my PC. Booted fine, found and installed the card, and I confirmed both cards were working in SLI mode. Then I began playing a game. Within 5-10minutes of playing, my PC shutdown suddenly. I turned the PC back on, and the used card was now not being detected at all. I took my working card out of its PCIe slot, and put the used card in that known working slot (didnt connect the working card at all in this test), and the used card was still not working. So I put my working card into the slot to make sure that slot the card died in wasn't the issue. PC booted fine with my GTX 970. So it seems to me, the used card was shit. I'm working with the manufacturer to get it RMA'd. However, do I chalk this up to a shitty used product or is there potentially something else going on here that killed the used card?

I had been using a gtx660 (physx only) in tandem with my gtx970 with an 850w psu (somewhat old) and had 0 prior issues. System isnt OC'd at all.

LaGSaLoT

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm thinking my motherboard has kicked the bucket but I am asking here to confirm! Push the power button on the PC everything lights up, fans start, HDD's start spinning, no power to USB devices or monitor feed. GPU fan spinning as usual. Turn the power off to reboot, same thing. Turn it on again and everything fires up just fine, USB devices working, monitor display up all is well. Hop on DOOM for a bit to see if I can overload anything and it all seems fine. As long as I keep the computer on everything runs perfectly fine, no speed issues or anything.

Got home from work today to power her on, back to the same issues. So I took it apart plugged all the cables back in relocated items for better airflow etc etc. Hit the power button, everything fires up. No power to USB or display. Got tired of trying to get it to boot so I hopped on the wife's Laptop. Any ideas?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So anyone know of a Win 10 loading problem? this happened on my sons new PC twice now. He will go to start the turned off PC and the computer is stuck in the windows loading screen indefinitely. I had to basically reload windows as I could not figure out how to fix it. The nets tell me its something to do with some windows update? Other threads I read say to unplug all peripherals from USB slots and shit to get it to load but this did not work on his.

Other than that the computer runs flawlessly. Never had a problem like this before, but it seems to be happening a lot form all the reddit posts and other posts around the net. Others point to the fast load thing, having shit stored on ram whikle computer is off, for quick starts. I have Win 10 loaded on 2 other PCs in the house, one an older 3 yr old one and another 1 yr old and they run flawlessly, its just that one that I built a month back thats having this problem.

i5 7600K @4.5
MSI 270Z G3
8 gigs std corsair ram
Rx480 MSI graphics
256 gb samsung SSD
2tb toshiba
600W corsair PS

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The nets tell me its something to do with some windows update? Other threads I read say to unplug all peripherals from USB slots and shit to get it to load but this did not work on his.

This is my experience. It was due to a windows update and unplugging my wireless mouse allowed it to finish. Now that it's reloaded, go into update manager and turn off the updates as much as you can. They are fucking ridiculous. I only had options to defer updates until later and make it ask me for permission becasue this is a work computer. So every time I boot the computer now, I get a message about updates. I think I'm going to let them run about once a month if I can find a time when I'll be OK if the computer is down for 2 days being reloaded.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Are there any good tools for windows password recovery? My Mother in law is coming over tonight because she forgot her password. I don't know what OS it has, but I'm sure it's windows 7 or newer. I used to have a password reset disk, but that was back in the NT/95 days.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So WTF is this shit? Are they going to fix it? first time ever since like Win 98 have I had a problem with OS like this. This was a clean ass install too on a fresh SSD.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Are there any good tools for windows password recovery? My Mother in law is coming over tonight because she forgot her password. I don't know what OS it has, but I'm sure it's windows 7 or newer. I used to have a password reset disk, but that was back in the NT/95 days.

I had a former employer who asked me to get in to a vista machine that belonged to his uncle when he died, and I think what I did work on 7 as well. You use a windows recovery disc to get a command prompt and use that to overwrite one of the accessibility programs that will run on the login screen with cmd.exe. Reboot and get a command prompt at the login screen by trying to use the accessibility program and from there and you can get admin and reset the password for any user. A little googling should show you the exact procedure.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Dollars to donuts capslock is on. Most people over 50 are password reusers. You can also use ophcrack and crack the password in a few minutes.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I had a former employer who asked me to get in to a vista machine that belonged to his uncle when he died, and I think what I did work on 7 as well. You use a windows recovery disc to get a command prompt and use that to overwrite one of the accessibility programs that will run on the login screen with cmd.exe. Reboot and get a command prompt at the login screen by trying to use the accessibility program and from there and you can get admin and reset the password for any user. A little googling should show you the exact procedure.

Dollars to donuts capslock is on. Most people over 50 are password reusers. You can also use ophcrack and crack the password in a few minutes.

Followup to this. First off, it turned out we (my wife and I) already had an account on her computer and got in with no problem. Second, after failing at her password once, the password hint popped up and i was like "Honey, I've seen this before, what does it mean?" and she knew the PW. I did have to try twice because she thought the number in it was spelled out. M-I-L says she tried that PW multiple times and it kept failing. I am leaning towards numlock or capslock. Numlock is probably more likely since windows warns you if capslock is on. This is a laptop without a 10-key on the side. So when numlock is on some of the letters come up as numbers. There is a light when numlock is on, but it's labeled with a worthless fucking picture.

Finally, I asked my IT people at work and found out that basically any kinda boot disk would work to reset a password. I had Hiram's, Ultimate Boot CD, and an Active Boot disk all standing by. Good thing I didn't need them, I didn't expect the damn thing to not have a CD drive.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
having an audio issue. i have been using an asrock z77 extreme4 for a couple years with an evga 570. dvi plugged into monitor and hdmi out to reciever and plasma. my gpu died recently so i've been using onboard for graphics which has been ok but just went to use my reciever/plasma and there's no signal being sent out to it. the computer sees the reciever so no issue there. i enabled dual monitors and hdmi audio in bios and updated asrock drivers for win10 but no dice. anything i'm missing? thanks.