Controller Thread - for PC and/or console

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've been looking at some of these 'premium' controller options, like the various SCUF controllers, the Dual Sense Edge, Xbox Elite 2, etc. Also various retro controllers.

I figured we could just have a controller megathread so we can all argue what the best controllers are.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The Elite and then the Series 2 are the best controllers I've ever owned. The PS5 controller is up there if I preferred that layout, massive improvement over the dual shock / sixaxis.

I wish some of the promotional designs like Starfield were produced as Series 2 elites, I'd have probably bought one because really like how they look.

1697590776159.png

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do not recommend 8bitdo for rythm games like final fantasy theatrhythm final bar line, laggy

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
do not recommend 8bitdo for rythm games like final fantasy theatrhythm final bar line, laggy

I give it to my kids when I vs them in Mario Kart, you know, like a responsible parent.

Whats nice is the hall effect joysticks that won't get boned like the cheap controllers. My kid has run through 2 wireless controllers from target so far, got him that in hopes it lasts longer. It's nice that it has a plugged in base that acts as a charger too, keeps my kids from leaving them around the house, each of them knows their controller goes to their cradle.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've been looking at some of these 'premium' controller options, like the various SCUF controllers, the Dual Sense Edge, Xbox Elite 2, etc. Also various retro controllers.

I figured we could just have a controller megathread so we can all argue what the best controllers are.

I have an 8bitdo Pro 2 and it's nothing but fucking headaches getting games to recognize it at all when wired, and it seems to have a half second lag over bluetooth. When playing Elden Ring it would only get picked up by the game maybe 1/10 times I started the application and then would be fine until I rebooted my computer. It's probably something on my PC's end, but I've plumbed the depths of the internet for solutions and come up empty.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have an 8bitdo Pro 2 and it's nothing but fucking headaches getting games to recognize it at all when wired, and it seems to have a half second lag over bluetooth. When playing Elden Ring it would only get picked up by the game maybe 1/10 times I started the application and then would be fine until I rebooted my computer. It's probably something on my PC's end, but I've plumbed the depths of the internet for solutions and come up empty.

I have an 8bitdo Pro and Pro 2 and all all the connection/lag issues I ever had with them were fixed by actually connecting the bluetooth antenna for my motherboard. I had used other bluetooth devices without the antenna, but the controllers seemed particularly sensitive to it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have an 8bitdo Pro and Pro 2 and all all the connection/lag issues I ever had with them were fixed by actually connecting the bluetooth antenna for my motherboard. I had used other bluetooth devices without the antenna, but the controllers seemed particularly sensitive to it.
for pc, i even tried their own bt adapter
0115b0b37adb7c506713812bf87b3dbd.png

i solved it by connecting the wire

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
for pc, i even tried their own bt adapter
0115b0b37adb7c506713812bf87b3dbd.png

i solved it by connecting the wire

Is that maybe a knockoff? I had bought, the 8bitdo brand one and had no issues, Dunno what Nargos is, unless that's just the Amazon listing erroneously listing the seller store as the brand as well.

That's the one I bought.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Here is the one my xbone kid got me to buy him, and trust me its one thing he knows about in life is his xbox controllers. He says this is the best of the best.

Edit: LOL looks like it made the above list from kroenen kroenen

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is that maybe a knockoff? I had bought, the 8bitdo brand one and had no issues, Dunno what Nargos is, unless that's just the Amazon listing erroneously listing the seller store as the brand as well.

That's the one I bought.
i just grabbed the pic, but mines the old ver1 too, yea no idea on nargos, probably a reseller

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jesus mother of christ this controller name is obtusely long

MOBAPAD ChiTu Wireless Pro Controller for Switch, Hall Effect Joystick, HD Rumble, Mecha-Tactile Action Buttons, 2 Programmable Back Buttons, NFC, Gamepad Compatible with Windows, Android, iOS

ordered 2 gonna see whats up

Goonsquad Officer
I used to have a USB to snes controller adapter to play emulators with. Wonder if I still have it

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm using a wired Razer Wolverine v2. If you think mechanical switches on keyboards are good, try a controller with mechanical switches.

I've been thinking of getting the wireless v2 pro to use with PS5, but haven't seen a sale.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ordered 8Bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGWTTC3L

last night to play Smash Ultimate. I have the pro controller but needed another to play with my kids. I got this one because it has two buttons on the back of the controller.

One thing about controllers that is crazy to me is how controller players tolerate switching from the face buttons (XYAB) and right control stick. Watching people play games where camera controller is important and seeing them chose between actions and camera control is pitiable. Maybe I just don't play with controller enough but I'm surprised that having 4x buttons on the back of the controller isn't a standard feature.

Speaking of weird controller stuff, I play games like Elden Ring with an xbox in my left hand and a mouse in my right and I'm super happy with that setup.

spronk

FPS noob
i have

elite 2 og black - use daily on my xbox series X, i drop this fucker all the time by accident (~4 feet) and the thumbs/d-pad flies off (magnetic) but its still trucking just fine, honestly shocking its not all fucked up. i previously had two elite 1s and both got wonky with the grips peeling off after 2 years or so. I rarely use my back paddles

elite 2 white (cheaper) - paired to PC via bluetooth, used a few times a month. finished lies of P with it, no issues. rarely use back paddles. Xbox controllers work better with PC imo because most games only show xbox layout buttons and i don't need to run any extra software shit to make it all work. I have zero issues switching between ps5/xbox controllers. Oh, this works perfectly fine in Yuzu/Ryujinx to run switch games, played a bit of Mario Wonder yesterday no issues and back paddles are nice in switch games, remap them to whatever you want.

scuf FPS Pro Ps5 - have had it for a year now, only use it for specific games that back paddle helps a lot with. No real issues, battery life kinda sucks but its at least 5 hours and I almost never game that long. I bought it for Elden Ring and loved it, it let me horse mount easily while still attacking and moving. Good for COD too, reload while aiming/moving/sprinting.

regular dual sense - my go to controller, use it daily on ps5.

switch pro - on my switch, but i haven't turned on my switch in like six months.

My brother has the new Sony DualSense edge, Sonys version of the xbox elite, and he says its great except the battery life apparently blows, 3-4 hours compared to 5-6 hours for dualsense. Makes sense, its basically just a mod'd dualsense.

I always try to keep it simple, the more weird your connections are - extra bluetooth controllers, weird adapters etc - the more work you just seem to be doing. A good new PC should have great bluetooth built in, if it doesn't... its not a great PC. The only huge difference I've really noticed in controllers is back paddles, and you have to find ones that feel good. I like the elite 2s and SCUFs, when I tried some of the shitty $20 "attach your own" type they always feel awful.

For controllers I use a LOT I buy them at gamestop and get a 2 year warranty and put in my google calender a reminder 18 months out to go in with the box, receipt, controller, and swap. I just say it has stick drift and bad battery life and they just give me a new one, no questions asked. Done it 5+ years with my ps4/ps5 controllers every 2 years, a $20 tax to not care how I use em. I'll be sad when gamestop vanishes.

Last edited:
  • 1Like