Controller Thread - for PC and/or console

Xerge

<Donor>
As long as it has extra paddles underneath anything works - otherwise youre throwing the game

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ordered 8Bitdo Ultimate Bluetooth

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGWTTC3L

last night to play Smash Ultimate. I have the pro controller but needed another to play with my kids. I got this one because it has two buttons on the back of the controller.

One thing about controllers that is crazy to me is how controller players tolerate switching from the face buttons (XYAB) and right control stick. Watching people play games where camera controller is important and seeing them chose between actions and camera control is pitiable. Maybe I just don't play with controller enough but I'm surprised that having 4x buttons on the back of the controller isn't a standard feature.

Speaking of weird controller stuff, I play games like Elden Ring with an xbox in my left hand and a mouse in my right and I'm super happy with that setup.
Now that I've got some runtime with it, I'm really liking the 8Bitdo Ultimate. Having buttons on the back has removed any need to swap my thumb from the right control stick to the right facebuttons, which makes it much more comfortable for me.

Caliane

imagine spending more than 20 dollars on a controller.

yeah. after having a few reused xbox controllers fail on me. I just got a PowerA Enhanced wired xbox one controller. (out of date, its a powerA wired xbox series x/s controller now)
since 2019. no complaints.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think I have an addiction...

Basic bitch Xbox controller - 8/10. Series X version is a downgrade from the old X1X controller imo. I really don't like the shitty d-pad they brought over from the elite. This is also the #1 reason I would never spend the money for an elite.

Dual Sense - 5/10 (7/10 with eXtremeRate 4 metal back button kit). I dislike pretty much everything about this controller. Haptics are the shittiest gimmick since the Wiimote. Face buttons are mushy. Sticks are too short and my fpsfreeks don't fit quite right (too tight, and they leave a mark if left on). It has ridiculously short battery life, and Sony still hasn't fixed the charging problems that have been around since PS5 release. DualShock 4 was just superior in every way.

Switch Pro - 7/10. Pretty similar to the Xbox controller, just a bit smaller and stupidly overpriced for what it is.

PowerA Fusion Pro 2 (Xbox + PC, $80) - 8.5/10. Basically a knock off of the elite controller with all the same accessories like back paddles, swappable thumbsticks of various heights, trigger locks, swappable faceplates, etc., but MS are dicks and use a proprietary wireless protocol instead of Bluetooth, and then refuse to allow any third party to use this protocol. Since it's MS that forces it to be wired I only knock off .5 because of it. The headset jack is really handy and includes a volume control and mic mute button. Everything else about it is excellent and the only criticism I have is that the rumble isn't that great and over time it turned into a rattle. Also, it's a little too easy to knock the back paddles out of their housing. I've had it for 3+ years and it's my most used controller on my most used system (plus some PC use too) so I can't really complain. Oh, and it comes with a really nice case too.

PowerA Fusion Pro 3 (Xbox + PC, $80) - 9.5/10. Very similar to the Pro 2, but improved in a few ways. The major change is that the paddles were replaced with buttons, which I definitely prefer. Also, the rumble feels much better now. Still wired, but again there's no way around that for third party Xbox controllers. Pretty much everything else is the same as the Pro 2.

PowerA Fusion Pro (Switch, $100) - 9/10. Also quite similar to the Pro 2 for Xbox. Major differences are that is has no rumble whatsoever, it's wired or wireless, has a gyro, and it costs more. Actually, a lot more now, so I think maybe it's discontinued? I only bought it because Gamestop had it on sale for $55 a couple years ago and at that price it was a no-brainer. As far as Switch features, it doesn't have NFC (no third party does) but it can turn on the console wirelessly. The only annoying quirk it has is that if you want to use the headset jack, you have to connect the controller via USB. Everything else about it is great, by far my favorite Switch controller. If you can find one for a decent price somewhere I highly recommend it.

8bitdo Pro 2 (Switch + PC, $50) - 8/10. Solid controller, and superior to the Switch Pro controller in just about every way but nowhere near as good as the PowerA. So for me it's a PC controller pretty much exclusively. Had some problems when brand new with BT connectivity, but firmware updates have fixed all that. Back buttons work great, but you have to connect to PC/tablet/phone to program them, which can be a hassle. And there's only 2 of them. Sticks are too short but fps freeks fit on it perfectly (though I can't remember offhand if it's Xbox or PS that fits). For Switch features, no NFC, no waking the console, and no HD rumble. Can sometimes be found for $40, and nothing else comes close at that price point. BTW, get the G Classic version, it has the best dpad.

8bitdo Ultimate (Switch + PC, $70) - Tried it, returned it. It's not terrible but imo it's just an expensive sidegrade from the Pro 2 that has no real reason to exist. I really don't care about the hall effect thing. Never had a single controller from PS3/4/5, X1X/XSS/XSX, WiiU, Switch, or PC develop drift so I stick with controllers that have all the other important features.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Now that I've got some runtime with it, I'm really liking the 8Bitdo Ultimate. Having buttons on the back has removed any need to swap my thumb from the right control stick to the right facebuttons, which makes it much more comfortable for me.
yea back buttons are great, i modded the ps5 and switch pro controllers

at first it was just annoying playing 3rd person and you had, r3 to run, and can't really remap, but w/ the back button you have a simple push to run

w/ diablo sometimes i couldn't press abxy, or i holding down x and couldn't physically press b, and remap those to the back paddles so it was either or.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I just tried to get my 8bitdo Pro 2 to work with my Switch. After a couple hours of banging my head on it, I discovered the root of all my previous connection problems. The mode switch on the back doesn't actually work and the controller is perpetually in Android mode. I disassembled the controller to see if there was an obvious disconnection or solder error, but no dice. Shit quality control, I guess.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I just tried to get my 8bitdo Pro 2 to work with my Switch. After a couple hours of banging my head on it, I discovered the root of all my previous connection problems. The mode switch on the back doesn't actually work and the controller is perpetually in Android mode. I disassembled the controller to see if there was an obvious disconnection or solder error, but no dice. Shit quality control, I guess.

Won't solve it if it's a hardware problem, but have you tried updating the firmware?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I could never gel with console controllers after using joysticks as a kid, so I've been using this for emulated C64/Amiga/Atari games. I have a few of the originals from the 1980s and it's pretty close in feel, seems to be similarly well built too. These are microswitch only though, no analog stick function.

1699259119676.png

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whatever you do dont ever buy a Xbox Elite Controller. I feel I wasted $200 bucks or whatever it costed. The ABXY buttons are terrible and dont register half the time. A quick googling and everyone seems to say thats normal.

I liked the form factor but damn the buttons are terrible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I could never gel with console controllers after using joysticks as a kid, so I've been using this for emulated C64/Amiga/Atari games. I have a few of the originals from the 1980s and it's pretty close in feel, seems to be similarly well built too. These are microswitch only though, no analog stick function.

View attachment 499084

1699293492277.jpeg

Indestructible. Microswtiches repairable. Loved it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Siliconemelons

Fat boy XBox 1 controller is my favorite, however I have no idea if they can be used for anything now days lol.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm slightly impressed with 8BitDo's service. I had an intelligent exchange with a support rep where they had me go through meaningful testing, believed my results, and volunteered to ship me a new unit since I was under the year warranty.

Edit: Replacement received in 2 weeks. Would buy again, now that I know how to test broken units.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jesus mother of christ this controller name is obtusely long

MOBAPAD ChiTu Wireless Pro Controller for Switch, Hall Effect Joystick, HD Rumble, Mecha-Tactile Action Buttons, 2 Programmable Back Buttons, NFC, Gamepad Compatible with Windows, Android, iOS

ordered 2 gonna see whats up
yea so i gave the girls this
MOBAPAD ChiTu Switch Controllers Compatible Switch/Lite/OLED with 6-axis Motion Control and Rumble Vibration,Turbo,ALPS Joysticks,Wireless Pro Controller with Hall Effect Sensing Joystick

the name is weird as shit, and they discontinued the one i bought for this one (i think it's just a relisting b/c mine had bad reviews, due to user error, or retards basically)

anyway these 2 worked great out of the box, just hit the back pair button and they always pair faster than my 8bitdo's, they feel great compared to an 8bitdo, when these controllers have magnetic sticks and microswitches.

i couldn't really use em, the girls said the new controllers were more comfortable, so oh well i'll probably get my own soon.