Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I signed up for the Vue trial last night and got it going on a PS3, PS4 and FireStick. I also have a Sony DVD player that I think it should work on but I didn't see an app for it so I am going to do some research. Works well. Many, if not all of channels offer on-demand programs.

I'm currently paying Charter 59.99 for 60mb/s. The Vue rate for 100 channels is 44.99. That's a total of 105 per month for up to 5 rooms.

As far as I can tell, the roughly comparable Charter deal is 59.99 + 29.99 for 125 channels in up to 4 rooms. There is an additional charge of 6.99 per TV for equipment. Since I currently have the equipment to stream Vue to 4 TVs (assuming the DVD player works), I compare to that, which would be about $118 per month.

So, pretty close on channels and price. Maybe there are some other considerations?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Taxes and fees tacked onto the charter bill? Pay the fcc and stuff? Would make it higher.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So now U-Verse is going to start enforcing caps, but only if you don't also have U-verse TV(or satellite under ATT). God, I hate these fucking companies.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No. The way they get away with it is by being regional monopolies and all competing against each other in a few markets across the country.

It is the behavior of a monopoly because they effectively are but the DoJ and FTC apparently don't care. The cable companies put enough money in the right pockets to have shitty ISPs like dial-up and satellite favorably categorized as competitors even when they're really not for practical use.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I use an Amazon Fire TV box in my living room and sticks in every other tv in the house, minus the initial price of the box and sticks I pay $66 for my internet and nothing else. Took a few hours of google and youtube videos but I learned how to put XMBC/Kodi on them and which addons to install on XMBC/Kodi but I couldn't be happier with that and an antenna that picks up the local stations. Now I just check where I used to torrent and see if its available and watch it on my box/stick. I love the things, I bought everyone in my family a stick for Xmas and put XMBC/Kodi on it and while it was only $43 it was everyones favorite present by far.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Have had Hulu+ with the no commercial option for awhile now. Started a Vue trial last week and while it's pretty cool I don't think I'm going to keep it past the trial.

Having to watch most commercials is a huge turn off right off the bat, spoiled with Hulu I suppose. Secondly the apps seem half baked currently. I started watching Shield the other day (which it only does in stereo which is another strike against) and then for some reason my chromecast/ipad disconnected while watching. I go to restart the stream and its remembered 20 minutes back where it disconnected with no way to fast forward.

Uh yeah, that's extremely lame.

Also kinda stupid you can't start your PS4 without your controller, so no using a BT remote until the unit is on and even then the VUE app isn't compatible with my Harmony Hub yet.

TLDR
720p, Stereo only, apps half baked, commercials bad.

Meh, maybe they'll get some of these things figured out. The price seems right, would absolutely pay for a no commercial option.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, after a couple of years of watching Netflix, Amazon and Youtube only, the commercials are a real downer. Amazing how much commercial time you have to sit through even though you're paying for subscriptions. I'm giving Vue one paid month and then I'll decide what to do. It's kind of cool to see some of the sports options that I would normally not have. I watched a couple of Rugby games yesterday and I like having access to BTN.

The app definitely still has some kinks to be worked out but it runs just fine for me on the PS4 and PS3. I'm also running it on a Fire Stick and it runs like shit on it but it's miles ahead of the Sling App I tried last year.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Netflix just picked up all Disney properties... may finally have stuff to watch more frequently starting in September.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Another missing thread.

I know that as a Canadian who has cut the cord (for many years now), there are a couple of tools that have been invaluable, but first and foremost is Unblock-Us (UnblockUs). I can't imagine being able to get all of what we need without using a service like theirs, and most VPNs I've tried have nerfed our download speed too much to get reliable full quality streaming.

Anyone have any experience with cheaper alternatives (like a one-time-purchase-for-life VPN service) that don't suck? I'm looking at this mostly because Unblock-Us is starting to respond more slowly to new initiatives from Netflix, for example. I get a "you are using an unblocker" pop-up 75% of the time or more now when I'm trying to use Netflix on my Roku.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Private Internet Acess is pretty awesome for streaming. Never have speed issues.

Playstation Vue is a damn nice service. Great channel selections and DVR options. One of the big reasons I won't even bother with SlingTV is the lack of DVR functions. Vue also has a plethora of on demand programming. Few quirks here and there but overall an excellent service.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Private Internet Acess is pretty awesome for streaming. Never have speed issues.

Playstation Vue is a damn nice service. Great channel selections and DVR options. One of the big reasons I won't even bother with SlingTV is the lack of DVR functions. Vue also has a plethora of on demand programming. Few quirks here and there but overall an excellent service.

I have PIA and I always have to remember to shut it off when watching Netflix or Hulu at work.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have success streaming local NFL games while they're first airing?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Anyone have success streaming local NFL games while they're first airing?
Get a VPN.
Switch to another country.
Sign into gamepass.nfl.com
Buy their live package which usually works out around $100

On game days just log in with the VPN active and you can watch any game or red zone live. Super crisp HD quality and you can chrome cast it if you want. Search around Reddit umm I think it is r/nflstreaming for a more in depth guide.