Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So it's been a long time since I learned all the theory on this stuff, so I don't remember the exact specifics.

HF Radio (think ham radio) is on a frequency that has the potential to bounce all the way around the globe. Early/mid 2000's when we where flying missions over Iraq in the Air Force we would use it to connect with state side people that could patch us in on a phone call. Generally people used it to talk to people back home, as this wasn't a secure thing. It essentially works because the frequency is low enough that the signal can bounce off the atmosphere and the ground. Weather conditions have an impact on that, so you might be bouncing the signal past things you'd like to hit based on those conditions. When we would do it stateside you might be able to get a guy in Washington State while flying over South Carolina, but not be able to get the guy in Tennessee.

Rambling, but essentially radio waves bounce, and if memory serves they bounce better at night due to atmospheric conditions. Sometimes farther away will see a better signal

Found a video that explains it pretty similar to how we learned it

View attachment 532107

This is what I did in the military and this is a good explanation of how the signals work. You also get much further range at night usually due to the atmosphere.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The old tv finally died so I bought my mum a cheap 50 visio. It REALLY didn't like my current setup with a hdhomerun->libre le potato with plex->hdmi to tv. At any screen transition, from guide to channel, changing channels, anything, it would just turn itself off.

The tv has a built in tuner though so I gave it a try and it is about 100 times better than the hdhomerun I was using. It handles bad signals better, changes channels almost instantly, and frees up the le potato box for my own nefarious projects.

I really didn't want to give it internet access though. I don't want that chinese piece of obvious spyware rummaging around in my lan, but without any internet access the home button freezes on a black screen for a good 10 seconds, and you get no tv guide information. I eventually just made sure the wifi (which I never use) is isolated from the lan and hooked it up.

If the tv ever gets out of antenna mode, and it is really easy to do, it is quite difficult to find again. They put it at the very bottom of a very long list of crap. I think they really don't want you using antenna as it is easier to sell your info with the internet crap they offer.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Something else wonderful I just discovered; it puts the internet tv (pluto or whatever it is) stuff in your antenna tv guide above your other channels.

I guess it isn't even possible to buy a dumb tv anymore.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Just wanted to let everyone know I found this little button and it seems to have fixed my Plex issues. I assume it will break again at some point, and when that happens I will come press this button again!
1725679080086.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
can someone make an account to share amazon prime video without it having access to their other stuff?
No, but you could make an account and then have someone else download the Prime video app. Then you log into the prime video app for them. They won't have your account number and they can then use only prime video.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
can someone make an account to share amazon prime video without it having access to their other stuff?
Only if you live in the same house. My GF and I tried to figure this out a while back and there was no way to share it without them being able to see what you bought them for Christmas or whatnot. If you both have the same address though, you can merge the accounts and you both still have your accounts but they can both access prime video with one fee.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
No, but you could make an account and then have someone else download the Prime video app. Then you log into the prime video app for them. They won't have your account number and they can then use only prime video.
I'm not positive, because I've never tried to buy a video via the app, but if you did that they might be able to rent/purchase anything they want on your account, which wouldn't be ideal. Even people you trust might have kids that don't know better or something.

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm not positive, because I've never tried to buy a video via the app, but if you did that they might be able to rent/purchase anything they want on your account, which wouldn't be ideal. Even people you trust might have kids that don't know better or something.
Im pretty sure you can still set up a pin code MFA for all movie/tv purchases. I had to do that when my kid was younger. Just dont give them the code.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user