Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Everything all at once huh?

giphy.gif

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
TX opens up in 7 hrs. Restaurants at 25% capacity with many choosing to stay closed. A quick poll done by a north Texas restaurant association puts it at about 50/50 who will open and who will stay closed. Malls are opening up as well. State parks opened back up last week. Governor specifically said that his orders cannot be superceded by city/county officials so those restaurants in Dallas/Travis county that want to open up, can, despite their local tyrants wishes to remain locked down. As always, people are free to stay home if they are worried.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Most people have been saying they've never seen a pandemic in their lives. Well thanks to a few states, they might get to see two!

• 5Worf
  • 2Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TX opens up in 7 hrs. Restaurants at 25% capacity with many choosing to stay closed. A quick poll done by a north Texas restaurant association puts it at about 50/50 who will open and who will stay closed. Malls are opening up as well. State parks opened back up last week. Governor specifically said that his orders cannot be superceded by city/county officials so those restaurants in Dallas/Travis county that want to open up, can, despite their local tyrants wishes to remain locked down. As always, people are free to stay home if they are worried.

We will be staying home for another 2 weeks, very likely. All the other numbskulls can prance around the city, but we don't want to or need to take the risk. Thankfully the Woodlands will continue to be quiet even when opened again.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
We will be staying home for another 2 weeks, very likely. All the other numbskulls can prance around the city, but we don't want to or need to take the risk. Thankfully the Woodlands will continue to be quiet even when opened again.
I've been going out to work every day anyway, so not much will change on my end except chips, salsa, and margaritas at an outdoor patio while maintaining a reasonable social distance. Going to Padre next weekend though, drive down to about mile marker 30 or so and pitch a tent on the beach for a few nights.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I've been going out to work every day anyway, so not much will change on my end except chips, salsa, and margaritas at an outdoor patio while maintaining a reasonable social distance. Going to Padre next weekend though, drive down to about mile marker 30 or so and pitch a tent on the beach for a few nights.
Lol.

I think states reopening will be fine. We applied Chinese data at the start of this to the American population, which is a huge assumption of many many variables that are vastly different between the two.

• 3Like

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider

This isn't a dig at any one person but what % of increased positive cases would make people willing to venture outside?

Our largest hospital group that services a few million people has furloughed 60% of their hourly staff and a 20% salary reduction for everyone else. Sadly to say I am sure they may all be hoping for at least a small spike.

What happened to slowing the spread and flattening the curve? I guess if you are high risk then I can understand but so you just stay inside forever? Then what happens to your immune system when you spend 3 months or more with only family and then start to venture out again.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Lol.

I think states reopening will be fine. We applied Chinese data at the start of this to the American population, which is a huge assumption of many many variables that are vastly different between the two.
I would be camping on the beach in May anyway, virus or no virus. Padre Island has one entrance at the north end with one campground, the rest of it is 60 miles of deserted, driveable beach. The farther you go the better the water, beach, and fishing get.
padreisland00-map.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
This isn't a dig at any one person but what % of increased positive cases would make people willing to venture outside?

Our largest hospital group that services a few million people has furloughed 60% of their hourly staff and a 20% salary reduction for everyone else. Sadly to say I am sure they may all be hoping for at least a small spike.

What happened to slowing the spread and flattening the curve? I guess if you are high risk then I can understand but so you just stay inside forever? Then what happens to your immune system when you spend 3 months or more with only family and then start to venture out again.

Well they say you need 60% for herd immunity, so I guess the people who don't think we're there yet will need to see 60% in order to venture outside.

Slowing the spread was a pipe dream and turned out to not be needed. It was developed by people who thought mild cases of kung flu were when you only got pneumonia and who didn't realize it had already been spreading in our population for months.

I admit I'm jumping the gun a little, there have only been a few antibody studies to date, but so far they're showing that a lot of us have already been exposed and fought this thing off.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I honestly don't know when we will think it's OK. That's a pretty tough question to answer. We don't suspect we will get ill or have troubles if we do - 38 and 39 years old and in great shape - but there are a lot of people we both interact with for work that are 60+ and we certainly don't want to jeopardize their health. I hate to say we will think it's safe when the Government says it is, because we can all pretty much agree they have only their own interest at heart. But, who's to say things even WILL get better in 2 weeks, or 2 months? Covid won't simply disappear.

I think the best we can hope for is people getting a mild strain of it - likely without even knowing - and creating antibodies as a result. That, coupled with a vaccine might allow it to die off over time. But again, I don't think it's just going to go away because our "quarantine" is up.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I admit I'm jumping the gun a little, there have only been a few antibody studies to date, but so far they're showing that a lot of us have already been exposed and fought this thing off.
Um, only if you live in NYC and surrounding counties.

The vast majority of the country, antibody tests are showing less than 4%.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
there have only been a few antibody studies to date, but so far they're showing that a lot of us have already been exposed and fought this thing off.

Those studies showed antibody presence of 20-80x the rate of the positive covid tests, but that's still only 4% of the population, as Mist says. Think of that as 96% of the population is still infectable. Lots of headroom for things to re-accelerate after reopening, if it goes badly. Hopefully there's a dampening effect during the summer and we'll have a manageable background rate until the vaccine comes.

• 3Like