CPR / First Aid Online Certification

Fyro

Golden Squire
Have any of you received CPR / First Aid Certs. online?

Are they scams or legitimate? I need a CPR and First Aid certificate to work on a fishing vessel in Alaska. I really would prefer doing it online, but I don't want to waste my time. Also, I live in the rural north woods, not a lot of hands on training sessions around my area.

Anyone have any helpful suggestions? Thanks-

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I would definitely not feel secure performing first aid / cpr on someone from just watching a video. And I'd feel doubly insecure about it being performed on me.

It's one thing if you just need a cert and don't really care about knowing the information, just when someone is fucked up don't clear the crowd and say, "STAND BACK! I know first aid from the university of pheonix!"

Fyro

Golden Squire
I have done the hands on process twice now. It is more a necessity of getting the certification as I already know the majority of it.

I just wanted to know if an online certification is legitimate or not.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Would depend how seriously the captain or whoever is recruiting for the boat take it. I know if I was recruiting for a dangerous job, the last thing I would want if I went down is someone next to me with only an online class in CPR.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have done the hands on process twice now. It is more a necessity of getting the certification as I already know the majority of it.

I just wanted to know if an online certification is legitimate or not.
I'd trust an online certification if it came directly from the Red Cross or somewhere similar, otherwise I wouldn't.

Would depend how seriously the captain or whoever is recruiting for the boat take it. I know if I was recruiting for a dangerous job, the last thing I would want if I went down is someone next to me with only a certificate in CPR.
What do you mean 'only a certificate in CPR'. There is no higher CPR qualification than the same basic certification you get from any CPR/AED + First Aid class.

Fyro

Golden Squire
It's a charter fishing vessel rather than commercial so things are more lax, it's not dangerous in a "Deadliest Catch" sense of the word.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I'd trust an online certification if it came directly from the Red Cross or somewhere similar, otherwise I wouldn't.

What do you mean 'only a certificate in CPR'. There is no higher CPR qualification than the same basic certification you get from any CPR/AED + First Aid class.
Clearly I meant an online class in it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Clearly I meant an online class in it.
Have you ever gotten CPR certification? Cause when I did it at the local Red Cross office several years back, we pretty much learned it straight out of the booklet. The only difference that being there in person made was that we had these little dummy torsos to practice chest compressions with.

Nobody fails CPR certification, you just pay the fee, show up, follow along, and get your card.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
There should be a certification for being a forum moderator. All these knuckle walkers like Tuco, Draegan, etc. would fail it repeatedly

khalid

Unelected Mod
Even the class you describe sounds a fuckload better than some online class that has no way to verify if you ever actually tried to practice it physically. I took a CPR class as a teenager and when I was in the navy. Even after the classes, I would have been nervous as fuck to actually do it to a person. I can't imagine how much less confident I would have felt if all I had was an online course in it.

So like Tuco said, if you don't give a fuck, take the online course. If you actually might have to use it, do yourself (and anyone you might have to give CPR to) a favor and find a physical class.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I've done first aid courses several times and it's always nice to get the whole course all over again for re-certification. First aid is a hands on process, to actually put bandages, do the CPR, move bodies around is good for the muscle memory and you definitely retain the information better when you actually do it. Not to mention it shows you how much pressure and strength you need to use. I read the book in between certifications as a refresher and that's probably as good as the online classes would be. Online is probably alright as a refresher in between certs, but for the certification proper I'd rather get the actual classes. I actually had to apply my knowledge several times, so I may be biased, but you should learn those skills with the mindset that you may need to use them.

There's plenty of levels for the first aid courses. CPR itself is broken down into adults, children and infants, two person CPR, AED; it's possible to be certified in one or only a few of those. Then there's basic first aid, standard first aid, combat first aid, first responder and so on all up to instructor and actual full fledged paramedic training.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've done first aid courses several times and it's always nice to get the whole course all over again for re-certification. First aid is a hands on process, to actually put bandages, do the CPR, move bodies around is good for the muscle memory and you definitely retain the information better when you actually do it. Not to mention it shows you how much pressure and strength you need to use. I read the book in between certifications as a refresher and that's probably as good as the online classes would be. Online is probably alright as a refresher in between certs, but for the certification proper I'd rather get the actual classes. I actually had to apply my knowledge several times, so I may be biased, but you should learn those skills with the mindset that you may need to use them.

There's plenty of levels for the first aid courses. CPR itself is broken down into adults, children and infants, two person CPR, AED; it's possible to be certified in one or only a few of those. Then there's basic first aid, standard first aid, combat first aid, first responder and so on all up to instructor and actual full fledged paramedic training.
I realize the Red Cross is an international organization but maybe it's different in Canada. Here in America the Red Cross has a single CPR/AED class where you learn adults, children, and infants. Same with first aid. Red Cross CPR/First Aid certs have absolutely nothing to do with first responder or EMTs.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I realize the Red Cross is an international organization but maybe it's different in Canada. Here in America the Red Cross has a single CPR/AED class where you learn adults, children, and infants. Same with first aid. Red Cross CPR/First Aid certs have absolutely nothing to do with first responder or EMTs.

First aid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The American Red Cross, however, offers the following courses:[12]

CPR
CPR-Adult (CPR-A)
CPR-Child and Infant (CPR-CI)
CPR-Adult and Child (CPR-AC)
CPR-Adult, Child, and Infant (CPR-ACI)
CPR/Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
CPR/AED-Adult (CPR/AED-A)
CPR/AED-Adult and Child (CPR/AED-AC)
CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer

First Aid
First Aid Basics
Standard First Aid
First Aid - Responding to Emergencies
Wilderness and Remote First Aid
Emergency Medical Response
Okay

iannis

Musty Nester
Never seen an online cert. The regular certs are kinda shaky enough.

Sign up. It's literally 3 hours out of a Saturday to get certified for a year. Local EMT/Firehouses tend to offer and run them. Sometimes for free, sometimes they charge like 20 bucks.

Oh. Canada. Sorry snobro... no idea. Its probably still pretty close to the same thing though.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Jesus, you're a special kind of dense aren't you?

CPR / First Aid Group Training for the Workplace, Schools Individuals

CPR/AED Learn how to respond to cardiac and breathing emergencies in adults, including the use of automated external defibrillators (AED). Adult and infant/child CPRoptionsavailable.
The red cross courses are made out of individual blocks. You can take adult CPR and get a certification just for that. Children/infant is another class you can stack on top of it, so is AED and two person CPR. The fact they are usually all bundled together doesn't mean the individual certifications do not exist.

It's the same deal with first aid. The difference between Basic and Standard for example is simply the number of individual classes you had in the course and those classes can be pick and chosen accordingly to your need.

I'm starting to question the fact you ever even had such certification before.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like gavinrad is out of his element. maybe someone can perform first aid on his brain.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jesus, you're a special kind of dense aren't you?

CPR / First Aid Group Training for the Workplace, Schools Individuals

The red cross courses are made out of individual blocks. You can take adult CPR and get a certification just for that. Children/infant is another class you can stack on top of it, so is AED and two person CPR. The fact they are usually all bundled together doesn't mean the individual certifications do not exist.

It's the same deal with first aid. The difference between Basic and Standard for example is simply the number of individual classes you had in the course and those classes can be pick and chosen accordingly to your need.

I'm starting to question the fact you ever even had such certification before.
rrr_img_64229.jpg

Still had the first aid card in my wallet, threw away the CPR/AED card since it expired 2 years before the first aid one. I got my CPR/AED cert from a single 2 hour class, which comprehensively covered CPR for adults, children, infants, CPR with two people, and AED usage. I don't see how the hell they could possible separate that many individual certifications out of a single 2 hour class.