CPR / First Aid Online Certification

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Compression-only CPR is meant for laymen and bystanders more than for professionals. It's easy to remember and the fear of people thinking you're a cock sucking faggot queer gay boy whenever you give mouth to mouth to another man is no longer there so the likelihood of early CPR being delivered is higher.
Makes sense the bible thumping homophobes would find a way to taint CPR as well.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Compression-only CPR is meant for laymen and bystanders more than for professionals. It's easy to remember and the fear of people thinking you're a cock sucking faggot queer gay boy whenever you give mouth to mouth to another man is no longer there so the likelihood of early CPR being delivered is higher.
So God is against homos and against letting someone die in front of you. How does a religious person decide whether to save someone? Seems they are screwed either way.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
If they die, they go to heaven faster. Provided the victim is also a believer. It's the Max Power way - the wrong way, but FASTER!

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
So God is against homos and against letting someone die in front of you. How does a religious person decide whether to save someone? Seems they are screwed either way.
Paraphrasing George Carlin:

"The christians are against homosexuals AND they're against abortions! Well, who has less abortions than homosexuals? Here is an entire class of people guaranteed NEVER to have an abortion and the christians and catholics are just tossing them aside! Homosexuals and christians should be natural allies!"

I can tell you, in 8 years as a street medic, the only things I have ever seen that have actually worked are early and effective CPR, and (if needed) early and effective defibrillation.

The drugs, the airways, the bone guns, the auto-pulses, the pre-filled syringes, the lights and sirens.... none of it really matters I don't think. I think most of that stuff is 'well it can't hurt' type stuff and makes the inventor of it a lot of money. Just push hard and fast and get electricity through them ASAP (if needed) and call 911. That is what actually counts in the end. Civilian CPRdoesmatter, it really does. Granted, it has the same success rate as everything else, about %5. But that is what we are going for! %5 might not be much, but to the families of the people who make it, it is way better than %4. Someday we will get it up to %6. Hopefully all of our kids can maybe push %10 some day. That's what we're doing. Pushing that number up if we can. As far as I can tell, personally, only chest compressions and electricity actually make that number go up. The rest is mostly fluff and pomp and budget justifications and delusions of grandeur and narcissism.

Push hard. Push fast. Don't stop. Spiral out. Keep going.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
How much academic work and research do paramedics do in the states? How much follow up? It's zero here.

I'm with you on the efficacy of timely and sufficient CPR directly correlating with survival rates. That's pretty basic - the longer the brain in particular goes without oxygenated blood, energy as well as halldane, the higher the risk of mortality, counting in minutes. As for drugs, defibrillation and pharma compliment each other. I'd hate to waste someone's functioning cardiocytes with a defibrillator in say, PEA or asystole, simple because the syncytial effect leading to contraction is absent.

Making an 8 hour practical BLS course a requirement for drivers license here has moved the national survival rate from cardiac events from below 5% to close to 9% - surprisingly fewer die when more know how to intervene.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
the longer the brain in particular goes without oxygenated blood, energy as well as halldane, the higher the risk of mortality, counting in minutes. As for drugs, defibrillation and pharma compliment each other. I'd hate to waste someone's functioning cardiocytes with a defibrillator in say, PEA or asystole, simple because the syncytial effect leading to contraction is absent.
rrr_img_64775.jpg

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Meh. When in doubt, freeze the body.
Not sure if this is what you're getting at or just making a joke, but it's standard practice nowadays to induce hypothermia on (most) cardiac arrest patients who regain pulses. To put it simply, when you're dying you get some nasty shit building up in your body, and when your heart starts beating again that's circulating through your body. By cooling your body and slowing your metabolism, your brain gets significantly less damaged.

How much academic work and research do paramedics do in the states? How much follow up? It's zero here.

I'm with you on the efficacy of timely and sufficient CPR directly correlating with survival rates. That's pretty basic - the longer the brain in particular goes without oxygenated blood, energy as well as halldane, the higher the risk of mortality, counting in minutes. As for drugs, defibrillation and pharma compliment each other. I'd hate to waste someone's functioning cardiocytes with a defibrillator in say, PEA or asystole, simple because the syncytial effect leading to contraction is absent.
Not sure where you're from or what your point is, but AEDs won't defib someone in Asystole or PEA and nobody that's trained to use a manual defibrillator would ever shock either of those.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I'm with Tuco.

We may not be from the same country, (I'm not sure where you're from but you call me an American) but what you just said doesn't make sense to me. This may very well indicate that american medics are all ignorant pigdogs, but I'd still need a little help with:

"I'd hate to waste someone's functioning cardiocytes with a defibrillator in say, PEA or asystole, simple because the syncytial effect leading to contraction is absent."

A cardiocyte must refer to a cell of heart tissue, I think?

'Syncitial effect' is a term I am not familiar with.

It may just be our different countries. Do you mean 'absolute refractory period'?

iannis

Musty Nester
Syncitial effect has to refer to the property of the muscle for autonomous organized contraction.

Basically he's saying that if it's an underlying nerve problem then delivering shock to the heart will do nothing except for burn out what healthy cells remain near the area of the application. This is true because of a blockage/dysfunction/defect in the mechanism which allows for organized, rythymic contraction being the root of the "heart don't work so good" problem to begin with.

I think everyone probably realizes that to be true. Because it's how shit works. I suppose he's asking how you diagnose that quickly during the first response as a paramedic.

It's like mindlessly grinding the starter on your car to death when the problem is that your serp belt broke.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think he's saying shocking someone in PEA or Asystole is doing them harm and no good. The only problem with that is no trained responder would ever defibrillate that and an AED won't even allow it. So I don't see what his actual point was.