Crowfall

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
you should have finished it. I see why you would turn away after someone admitted to not even playing it but wrote about the game anyhow. But it gets a lot better as the discussion turns to why the game is being developed pretty much backwards from most games.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
It's an interveiw. It doesn't matter if he has played the game. I watched an interveiw with Antonio Brown on Sunday but the person asking the questions didn't play the game....

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
They seem to have a much better presence and community sense than most. They remind me of how Scott handled things when he was with EQ2 possibly even better. It could be all words but I have no reason to lose confidence at this point. I will be curious to see where the game is as of summer.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I agree with that.

I do not care if a company lies to me (as most tend to do), just act like they care and I am usually happy. (Something SOE forgot it seems)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I agree with that.

I do not care if a company lies to me (as most tend to do), just act like they care and I am usually happy. (Something SOE forgot it seems)
Agreed... I understand it's business so you gotta give the corporate response but they at least look to be having fun and passionate. They don't seem desperate to make their game yet like I feel Pantheon displays. I haven't seen much from Camelot's crew but right now, Crowfall's team is a breath of fresh air for me... honest or not.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Character progression being moved from the character to the account so that your character is now an object or a vessel that can be bought, sold, looted, crafted sounds pretty damn awesome. The little sneak peek they had with your character becoming infected and being able to attack players after you've fallen is also intriguing.

I just hope they get the combat and campaign objectives all sorted out before they let their features get in the way.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
man it's like they read my mmo manifesto. ie copy everything from eve and put it in an fantasy setting action mmo. race/class shouldn't exist, only your soul/skills. race/class is like ships, you should build them, own them, pilot, er possess them. change race/class in towns as needed. In combat even if someone ejects,er drops a skin for you to possess. only really makes sense though in combat if they add larger skins.

Now all they need is to utilize size and scaling. little guinea pig dudes, halflings, sprites, whatever fantasy types are Small. Most humanoids are medium. Ogres, trolls, cyclops or whatever (to around 10') are large. Treants, dragons, giants etc are capital ships,er skins, and they are your siege engines to destroy towns, or massive support skins which can carry a lot of cargo, including skins that can be deployed and possessed by crows who have fallen.

Thlayli

Lord Nagafen Raider
So it is kinda like permadeath-lite, in a way, since character bodies can potentially be lost forever, though skill progression is never lost. Cool stuff.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is... Eve Fantasy at this point. Not that anyone should be surprised necessarily. It will 100% depend on logistics. I can't stand EVE anymore because it's such a pain in the ass to find all the modules and kit out ships, you lose one and it's hours and hours lost just to get flying again. I could care less about the wealth penalty for death but the idea that it's notreallypermadeath but it's just a ton of time or logistics support is a pain.

I'm not necessarily against the announcement at this stage, but if this is a spreadsheet simulator with 30 minute siege battlegrounds every 2 hours while you rearm and ride your horse across 9 zones I'm not sure I will care so much. There has to be a useful middleground between the bullshit that is EVE pvp on the logistics side and the bullshit that is WoW pvp on the zerg side.

However, they did say the bodies only got lost on Shadows/Dregs, so there could be hope there that they realize where the issues are. Also lol @ necromancer as a crafting profession.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Eve ships are crowfalls vessels. Simple as that.
Why can't it be EVE vessels are crowfall... vessels?

Also that's not really true because EVE hulls are completely static, all the stat points are built into the mods and character skills. According to the video, they will have unique stats and perhaps abilities/special things, rarity and bonuses.

EVE is 100% logistics - in an ideal scenario you have 30 copies of the same ship with the same mods ready to go. It's all about dat industry. In Crowfall it remains to be seen how much an impact 'permadeath' is going to have since it isn't really permadeath now, but just EVE with free 100% clones all the time no exceptions.

My big fear is there's just too much crap on your characters. Right now in the alpha it's just as bad as EVE (or WoW or any other DIKU) with slots. I don't want to have a stack of 30 of each armor piece and a bank full of weapons to just cycle through like WoW was 'oh shit where did I put my resist fire set... damn that trinket is missing what bag was it in...' Hopefully they fix that issue ahead of time because turnaround time is going to be a big deal for the fantasy MMO pvp.

I still hope it's AC Darktide loot rules but we'll see.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
EVEs large scale logistics was a huge high point in making the games territory control so good and so meaningful.

The small scale stuff logistics in safe space was pretty painful most of the time though.

Translating EVE into a fantasy flat open world game is also a lot trickier than it sounds. EVEs carebear population benefited alot from the fact that a careful, alert player out PVEing had a relatively good chance of avoiding a PK attempt, and that the nature of its system by system travel network and local channels meant the large alliances generally had a fair chance of avoiding any PK gang that tried to infiltrate their space.

Games like Darkfall suffered hugely from the fact that the game setting really didn't allow you to defend and police your territory in the way that EVE did, PKs had a relatively easy time riding in unseen, killing and getting away because the game world was so open. In a game with full item loot giving that kind of advantage to your PKs is a recipe for a dead game.

The solution is probably some mix of allowing tracking through the use of sentries or something and making your PVP game world set up around bottle necks similar to zone joins in old EQ. That and realizing that the game being more compact than EVE means that death will be more common and needs to sting less, whether that's through making re-kitting a faster process than it is in EVE or through making the item drop not a full loot.

Every fantasy pvp game in this FFA style has made the mistake of handing all the advantage to the wolves, so the sheep quit and the game dies. My money is on this game making the same mistake.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How does EVE allow you to patrol/defend your areas?

The only game I know of that even attempted that really was Shadowbane where you could have NPC guards in your cities and the tracking system allowed you to see a massive distance. On our server we didn't let another group get a Commander rune (huge deal, needed for siege weapons) for weeks because we guarded it 24/7.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That's essentially it. EVE allows you to non-visually keep track of targets versus a typical MMO where you had to visually spot a player. Usually spotting a person has them pretty close to you.