Cruises: Good Value Vacation or White Trash Rafts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i *might* go on one of the alaska cruises, but not a long one, cause thats the kind of stuff thats hard to see otherwise, but thats about it. like you said, it would be more scienc-y than relaxation
sounds gay

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have never taken a cruise, but the one thing you hear everyone say is the food is always great...

Again, look at clientele. To the average mass cruise ship patron, a night out at Applebee's or Outback is a special occasion.

Cruise ship meals are "great"? It's all relative.

• 2Salty

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Again, look at clientele. To the average mass cruise ship patron, a night out at Applebee's or Outback is a special occasion.

Ah, no. I have dined at the finest restaurants in the US and also in some other countries. With RCI for example, Chopps Grille and their Italian Place blow away 90% of the best steak / Italian places I have been too. This includes Manny's, R.C, Pittsburgh Blue... There is a $20 extra charge to dine at these places while on the cruise ship. The only one that beats it so far is a place called 6Smith in Wayzata MN which, hands down, destroys everywhere in the US to this point. Only other place I have had better Italian food is a place called Yarusso's here in St. Paul, MN. Owned by the mafia.

Again, it's the idiots choice on if they eat buffet all day long.

And hell, the other people on the cruise ship rock. Had one guy on the last one who called me "Skol" the whole trip. And we heard a story about the dude's dad who created his own excursion in Belize. It was hilarious.

All these folks are great people enjoying a vacation from all walks of life, and shit, I usually end up knowing 75% of the ship by the time I am done. 25% I met, and yell out my name, then I look to my wife and ask.. "Hey who was that?" "Oh, that was your bass singer when you yelled you needed one when the crowd demanded you sing "Longest Time".

• 2Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

Cruise packages are pretty spendy, the Trailer Park crowd is hitting 6 flags or a water park, not going on ocean voyages.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cruise packages are pretty spendy, the Trailer Park crowd is hitting 6 flags or a water park, not going on ocean voyages.

Spendy? $680 bucks on a Royal Caribbean 7 day East Caribbean cruise on the "Oasis of the Seas" as recommended by someone earlier.

This was my first search result. I'm sure you could find even cheaper on Carnival, etc.

I am headed to the Maldives on Friday and that might cover my booze bill for the week.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Anyone who wants to try a cruise and 1) Hasn't been on one but heard bad things so they steer clear never having experienced one 2) Went on one with Carnival or some ghetto cruise line; needs to hop a cruise with my wife and I. I guarantee you by the time it's over with, you will have had so much fun you'll have already booked 2 more before you get off the ship.

• 1Solidarity

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Why don't you guys just buy a boat? I can easily fit at least a dozen Millennials on my boat so long as they pass my rigorous BMI testing.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FWIW, I grew up in Central FL and have been on my fair share of cruises. Never again.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Spendy? $680 bucks on a Royal Caribbean 7 day East Caribbean cruise on the "Oasis of the Seas" as recommended by someone earlier.

So, a little thing about the cruise ship prices. 1) 680 a person. 2) Doesn't include flights obviously. 3) Doesn't include any drink package. 4) Doesn't include the fine dining restaurants. 5) Doesn't include any excursions. So, if people are making the mistake of equating dollars with "Status" of a vacation, it will be more like this:

1) $3,000 for a good room, not some piece of garbage on the 2nd deck without a window.
2) $450 per person for an all you can drink pass so you do not have to worry about booze at all.
3) $200 per person or the fine dining options.
4) $800 for excursions.

$5,100 to actually have a fantastic experience.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So, a little thing about the cruise ship prices. 1) 680 a person. 2) Doesn't include flights obviously. 3) Doesn't include any drink package. 4) Doesn't include the fine dining restaurants. 5) Doesn't include any excursions. So, if people are making the mistake of equating dollars with "Status" of a vacation, it will be more like this:

1) $3,000 for a good room, not some piece of garbage on the 2nd deck without a window.
2) $450 per person for an all you can drink pass so you do not have to worry about booze at all.
4) $800 for excursions.

what's the point of spending $3k for a room that you will barely be in at all?

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Ah, no. I have dined at the finest restaurants in the US and also in some other countries. With RCI for example, Chopps Grille and their Italian Place blow away 90% of the best steak / Italian places I have been too. This includes Manny's, R.C, Pittsburgh Blue... There is a $20 extra charge to dine at these places while on the cruise ship. The only one that beats it so far is a place called 6Smith in Wayzata MN which, hands down, destroys everywhere in the US to this point. Only other place I have had better Italian food is a place called Yarusso's here in St. Paul, MN. Owned by the mafia.

I looked up Pittsburgh Blue online because the other 2 dont even show up. Its a steakhouse in minneapolis that has 3.5 stars on yelp. I'm not trying to be a dick, but this isnt "the finest restaurants in US". I dont expect the cruise ship cuisine to be Alinea, Eleven Madison Park or French Laundry - but the dude who compared cruise ship cuisine to Outback Steakhouse, etc. was right.

I was at an all inclusive once (like 6 years ago), the first and last time. It was an Iberostar in Riviera Maya so I assume the food is comparable to cruise ships, it was nothing to rave about.

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Dont forget the added roulette surprise of the infamous Cruise Ship Norovirus to keep things spicy.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

You can take a 5 day cruise for $200-300 on RC or Carnival

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I looked up Pittsburgh Blue online because the other 2 dont even show up. Its a steakhouse in minneapolis that has 3.5 stars on yelp. I'm not trying to be a dick, but this isnt "the finest restaurants in US". I dont expect the cruise ship cuisine to be Alinea, Eleven Madison Park of French Laundry - but the dude who compared cruise ship cuisine to Outback Steakhouse, etc. was right.

Manny's and 6Smith are two of the best known steakhouses in the midwest, Manny's is top ten in the US.

I was at an all inclusive once (like 6 years ago), the first and last time. It was an Iberostar in Riviera Maya so I assume the food is comparable to cruise ships, it was nothing to rave about.

Food in all inclusives in Mexico is completely hit or miss. For example, Secrets Capri in Playa Del Carmen was absolutely awesome. In Cabo, at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica? It was absolutely disgusting.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Why don't you guys just buy a boat? I can easily fit at least a dozen Millennials on my boat so long as they pass my rigorous BMI testing.

Sounds like fun.

Overpacked.jpg

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

4) $800 for excursions.

$5,100 to sit on a boat with a bunch of white trash in Caribbean?

I could backpack across entire Europe for a whole summer on $5,100 or go see China, or Thailand or Japan.

dafuq.

• 2Solidarity

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
$5,100 to sit on a boat with a bunch of white trash in Caribbean?

I could backpack across entire Europe for a whole summer on $5,100 or go see China, or Thailand or Japan.

dafuq.
Or you know, two Jasmine's.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.