• Easy

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Rockhard Weekend Hard

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Many experiments that don't pan out do offer something to learn, even if that's just "don't keep doing this" or the like. That stuff is often not published in the medical field, or worse, it gets buried and hidden as long as possible if it is found alongside a success. The "nature of research" is stifling potential for better progress. This is the opposite of a field like history which by nature tries to share as much as possible, publish as much as possible, and cooperation can be rewarded. Medical research is not very efficient in a macro sense. It could do a lot better if the nature of it was different. It could also do better if even more money was thrown at it.
Not sure if serious? I have contacts of at least a hundred experts who focus on just a single organisms that I can call to pick their brain.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think there is incredible waste in the industry and especially in the charities involved in research for said cures. I don't think it is easy at all but certainly could be made easier with more of a combined effort and a sharing of resources and data.

The original comment though of they aren't looking cause they aren't profitable is just fucking stupid and something out of a really bad movie or TV show. I swear i've heard that line in one of the two if not both before.

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I don't think there is a conspiracy to leave people sick, but there are many diseases that we can say very little about due to the lack of profit in the pursuit of their treatment. Sufficiently rare childhood illness are one of these groups. These kids were sick prior to being able to contribute as a healthy adult, build assets, and ultimately put some of those assets in support later in life in research or care for themselves. There are so few of them they are at the mercy of charity and drugs that were not designed for them but had a beneficial side effect. Capitalist motivation guarantees the knowledge in these niches grows artificially slow vs fields that can be leveraged for profit. It's definitely no conspiracy, there is just no profit to save 300 sick kids from misery.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
What really surprised me when I learned it is how little we knew about human immunology pre 1980's.

It really was AIDS that kicked that research into "this is critical".

I had honestly just assumed that we figured all that shit out back in the 40's and 50's. But no.. a great deal of what we know about immunology came out of the 80's and AIDS research.

And honestly, it makes the polio vaccine even more impressive.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
American's with disabilities act passed in 1990, which still always surprises me it was that "late". It should be no surprise in hindsight just how little we knew in the 80's about anything that was even remotely niche in medicine. I too always felt that the 80's was really science progressive, like you imply, it was really just the time when we began to really realize the extent of all that we don't actually know.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
PCR and ELISA revolutionized the field. Hopefully CRISPR will allow for similar leaps

• 1Like

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Started to use acronyms. Noping the Fuck out. Just like when my wife tries to talk to me about medical govt software regulations.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Tripamang is an imbecile who thinks that heroin is a "safe" drug. It's safe to say he's a dumbshit who should not be taken seriously.
Lol what is this heroin is safe crap?
Safe compared to what, sucking dick to feed a heroine habit?

• 1Solidarity

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Started to use acronyms. Noping the Fuck out. Just like when my wife tries to talk to me about medical govt software regulations.
PCR and ELISA are sort of the most nasic biotech technologies that almost every researcher use regularly...this is why people say dumb shit when it comes to biology if they don't know the basics...

• 1Solidarity

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought he was being sarcastic. To be fair CRISPR I just heard about like 4 months ago I don't know when it started becoming a thing, plus the acronym makes it sound kinda silly!

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Lol what is this heroin is safe crap?
Safe compared to what, sucking dick to feed a heroine habit?

I contrasted long term alcoholism with long term heroin addiction, provided you have a clean free supply of heroin you're doing significantly less damage to your body than you are with alcohol. It's not even controversial and it's an example that lots of medical doctors use as prohibition causing more problems than it solves. There is a whole book on the subject by David Nutt, the guy who was formally in charge of the UK's drug policy organization and was forced to resign.

Here is his book: https://www.amazon.ca/Drugs-Without-Hot-David-Nutt/dp/1906860165

There is a chart some place where they take prohibition "damage" out of their drug harm rankings and heroin drops from the top of the pack to somewhere after cocaine but it's behind a paywall and I can't get it to come back in a search.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/...ng-20-drugs-and-alcohol-by-overall-harm-2.png

You can reduce harm to others from the score significantly, as most of that is caused by prohibition. It's drug addicts stealing/whatever to get their fix, something they wouldn't have to do. Then you control for a lower rate of overdose since dosages would be more consistent and clean needles would be available. This means you can almost remove the drug related (both mortality and damage) numbers from the score. Then the rank of heroin drops and it's not even a fair comparison to alcohol.

https://cognitivelibertyuk.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/drug-harm-chart-1.jpg

This was all to show that the damage caused by prohibition is more significant than the drug itself. Kegkilla took that as me advocating for people to switch from alcohol to heroin, something I never said.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Tripamang Tripamang thinks curing diseases is easy, but they aren't pursued because they are not profitable.

This poll will be representative of the entire scientific community and the results will show they are just out to kill people slow and painfully while sucking on the teet of the taxpayer.
Depends who it fucks over.

Like Polio gave no shits
1024x576.jpg
f

It was so bad, they were running out of space and decided to just stack em up like apartments
sel-mieth-nurses-at-children-s-hospital-tending-young-polio-patients-contained-in-iron-lung-room.jpg

Polio fucked over anyone

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Mainstream medicine is 99% antibiotics/vaccinations/antifungals. Without antibiotics, we can't perform surgery, or implement artificial organs. If it's not a vacterial/fungal infection, they can't do shit.

If you have a chronic disease, you're fucked. Lupus? Fucked. Psoriasis? Fucked. MS? Fucked. There's not a single cure for any disease that's not bacterial or fungal in origin. Not one. They can perform surgeries and save your life if you've been shot, but you need antibiotics.

As someone with a lot of experience with mainstream medicine, the laymen underestimate the ability of doctors. If your body starts fucking up, it's for life.

(We did eradicate the disease that killed more people in history than warfare and all other diseases combined, Smallpox) but that was through vaccination.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Mainstream medicine is 99% antibiotics/vaccinations/antifungals. Without antibiotics, we can't perform surgery, or implement artificial organs. If it's not a vacterial/fungal infection, they can't do shit.

If you have a chronic disease, you're fucked. Lupus? Fucked. Psoriasis? Fucked. MS? Fucked. There's not a single cure for any disease that's not bacterial or fungal in origin. Not one. They can perform surgeries and save your life if you've been shot, but you need antibiotics.

As someone with a lot of experience with mainstream medicine, the laymen underestimate the ability of doctors. If your body starts fucking up, it's for life.

(We did eradicate the disease that killed more people in history than warfare and all other diseases combined, Smallpox) but that was through vaccination.

This is false, e.g. Hep C can be cured now.

Stick to roman history or poker I guess, faggot.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

Get the fuck out of here. Wow, really we can eradicate a disease caused by a bacterial infection but not one caused by continuous damage to a specific cell/tissue type by both environmental and genetic factors such as MS. So fucking insightful wooly. Thanks.

• 1Like

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Autoimmune disease comprises of a spectrum of around a hundred diseases. Everything from heart attacks to MS, to ALS, to Lupus have all been linked or suspected to be of autoimmune origin. Our own immune system, the very thing that keeps is alive, is also the largest cause of chronic disease. When it starts attacking your own body, it's relentless and never stops. Technically cancer is an autoimmune disease because its a failure of your immune system to get rid of malignant cells. Yep, you think we should cure cancer. Wrong alley, this is what we should be working on. Even fucking common allergies are autoimmune.

autoimm.bmp