Dark Souls 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
The hierarchy continues to evolve for me, but I do know for certain that I vastly prefer Dark Souls 2 to Bloodborne (and to any of them except perhaps Dark Souls 1). I guess I give more weight to the importance of build variety and solid pvp than you might. I also found Bloodborne (maybe?) the easiest of all four games (I'm including Demon's souls). I certainly didn't find it as hard as Dark Souls 1 or 2, and if we're including DLC, Dark Souls 2 is easily the hardest of them all.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fuck the Frigid Outskirts! Thankfully I somehow one-shotted the boss so I didn't have to spend any extra time running though that place again... ugh.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The hierarchy continues to evolve for me, but I do know for certain that I vastly prefer Dark Souls 2 to Bloodborne (and to any of them except perhaps Dark Souls 1). I guess I give more weight to the importance of build variety and solid pvp than you might. I also found Bloodborne (maybe?) the easiest of all four games (I'm including Demon's souls). I certainly didn't find it as hard as Dark Souls 1 or 2, and if we're including DLC, Dark Souls 2 is easily the hardest of them all.
If you include DLC, maybe. Otherwise I found the bloodborne bosses to me much more difficult. I also appreciate the level design in bloodborne more, the areas were much more intertwined where shortcuts were opened up. In dark souls 2 it seems like most areas are just bonfire to bonfire

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The world was definitely better designed in Bloodborne, it was similar to Dark Souls, while DS2 felt a lot more like individual levels and shit. Bosses I found everything to be easy though. I guess it's the fact I've been playing the genre for a while and stuff, but DS2, other than the fucking medusa boss in the poison pool that you have to check a guide/ingame online-only blood mark thing to figure out how to weaken her, all of the bosses were easy, but Bloodborne was the same, I don't think I spent more than 10tries on any boss(and the only one I spent 10tries was the first one on the bridge) and most were done in under 5(in general 2 to 3 tries to kill most bosses). Bloodborne rewarded agression too much, you could skip entire phase of the boss with the Viscerals and shit, and I wasn't even using a weapon that could be enchanted which would have made a ton of shit easier I'm sure.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't need a guide to figure out how to weaken Medusa. Signs on the floor told me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed DS a lot more when I turned off the internet and got rid of all those signs. They were funny at first but annoying and immersion destroyers. They also 'spoiled' a lot of the game by describing it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I didn't need a guide to figure out how to weaken Medusa. Signs on the floor told me.
Yes that's what I said, you either need a guide or online only blood mark thing, which are signs though I didn't remember the actual word for them. Signs are basically place specific guides, with a bunch being fake shit and jokes, but overall they ruin a bunch of secrets and what not, but turning them off make the medusa thing completely retarded since there's no indication whatsoever other than out of game knowledge on how to do it. There isn't like some random item with a description that helps, an obvious fire thing or anything really, you're just supposed to guess that there is that one spot where you can light the mill on fire and that will remove the poison in the boss room, or you're supposed to look at a sign that was written by someone who read how to do it in the official guide. Fight's doable with poison but is stupidly tuned for that, yet since it's not impossible, it doesn't necessarily incite a reaction to search for a way to drain the poison. It's the dumbest designed secret in all the souls by a fair amount.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Considering someone with out of game knowledge posted the sign... or from someone else who did somewhere do the line...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Considering someone with out of game knowledge posted the sign... or from someone else who did somewhere do the line...
The guides(the physical ones, the books and shit) come out at the same time as the game. Honestly I don't know how someone can find this without reading the sign. There's no torch around and it's not dark so you're not playing with a torch on, it's literally the only place in the game there's a non torch thing you can light up iirc, it's not apparent it can burn(not covered in oil or tar or something that looks flammable), you can only burn it in one specific spot, there's no logical connection between the mill burning and then stopping leading to draining the poison. It's very possible to randomly do it, but the odds would be very low with the way torches worked in DS2 as far as I remember(had to light them at a torch/campfire and run around then if you changed weapon you had to run back again right?). Considering the signs were up on like the first day, it seems way more likely someone simply read the official strategy guide, then wrote the sign.

Boss is doable either way so it's not entirely gamebreaking, it's just terrible design and with the poison it's probably the hardest boss in the game unless you have a health heavy build and/or are overleveled(even then it's still quite challenging). That was just my original point, the boss jumps out as being hard for wrong reasons, but other than that both games had mostly easy bosses, with some really dumb easy in both but especially in Bloodborne I found. A lot of bosses I beat by literally mashing attacks due to the regen on hit and the auto visceral shit at certain % were pretty weird design too imo where you'd sometimes just go from visceral to visceral and the boss wouldn't move the entire time(a few of them work like that if you do enough damage after the visceral before they recover).

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The guides(the physical ones, the books and shit) come out at the same time as the game. Honestly I don't know how someone can find this without reading the sign. There's no torch around and it's not dark so you're not playing with a torch on, it's literally the only place in the game there's a non torch thing you can light up iirc, it's not apparent it can burn(not covered in oil or tar or something that looks flammable), you can only burn it in one specific spot, there's no logical connection between the mill burning and then stopping leading to draining the poison. It's very possible to randomly do it, but the odds would be very low with the way torches worked in DS2 as far as I remember(had to light them at a torch/campfire and run around then if you changed weapon you had to run back again right?). Considering the signs were up on like the first day, it seems way more likely someone simply read the official strategy guide, then wrote the sign.

Boss is doable either way so it's not entirely gamebreaking, it's just terrible design and with the poison it's probably the hardest boss in the game unless you have a health heavy build and/or are overleveled(even then it's still quite challenging). That was just my original point, the boss jumps out as being hard for wrong reasons, but other than that both games had mostly easy bosses, with some really dumb easy in both but especially in Bloodborne I found. A lot of bosses I beat by literally mashing attacks due to the regen on hit and the auto visceral shit at certain % were pretty weird design too imo where you'd sometimes just go from visceral to visceral and the boss wouldn't move the entire time(a few of them work like that if you do enough damage after the visceral before they recover).
No idea what you are talking about, none of the bosses in BB worked like that. You couldn't just attack through damage on any boss and regen it, and no boss could you just attack, visceral, and akeep attacking to get another visceral.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So I am currently playing this while waiting for my brother to feel well enough to do DS3. I recently finished 1 and it was amazing. I am not sold on 2 yet but I am enjoying some of it well enough. I think losing your permanent health on every death is the worst mechanic I have ever seen in a game.

Some random pics of my melee character.

4NqmP5Q.png

NF7IT8d.png

q2f7Yy8.png

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I had hell keeping Lucatiel alive during rotten but I should be finished with the summoning part of her quest now.

Oe06F1U.png

Traded in some boss souls for new weapons like this gargoyle spear.

DkZVMf1.png

Still using the mace though.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Mace is interesting and great for clearing trash, but it never did it for me against boss monsters, so I stopped using it pretty much after the pirate city part of the game. The two handed clubs, while requiring really precise timing, are fun as hell though.

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I love having the Great shield. It's like a safety blanket even when I am not using it. I just feel more comfortable having it. So I am still rocking the +10 mace with A scaling and not having a lot of trouble. I am not in love with the Large Club yet. Finished Iron Keep today, I kind of did it out of order since I did Gutter and Black Gulch first.

E4wF8QP.png