Dark Souls 3

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's right if you don't play how you want to play you fail at life!
Yeah, I'll pass on starting with int, faith and attunement at 10 just to have the first half hour of the game marginally more difficult. You can save 7 SL by starting as warrior if you intend to avoid spells entirely.

Needless

Toe Sucker
apparently you can get a weeaboo katana in the first 15 minutes? time to go glorious nippon steel build!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Got home from lab just in time to sit down and watch this unlock.

Installed it on my SSD so the unlock shouldn't take long. It didn't with Fallout 4, and it was a larger overall file size.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully DS3 plays better with the Steam Controller than Mad Max. Tomb Raider was fine but for whatever reason in MM if you had the right pad set to mouse you couldn't run and move the camera at the same time. Had to set it to Joystick with some other tweaks and it never really felt right.
This is likely because Mad Max had poor simultaneous inputs. DS2 has no such problems, I imagine 3 will not either. Enjoy the flickable camera - its way better than joystick and ultra precise.

All you PC guys need to get a steam controller and put in some time. It is 100% superior 100%. Its not a question. The only genre of game that has much claim to not having a physical stick - are twin stick shooters where you're rolling the sticks on their extremes. It will 100% not feel right when you unbox it, and it 100% will turn you off. The first time you hold it you'll think the ergonomics aren't right. The haptic pads are amazingly customizable. Dead zones, continuous input rings that can be sized to any percentage of the pad , and rotational options so that the natural ergonic grip of individual hand size guarantee that a swipe with your thumb that "feels" straight - is straight on your screen. You don't look at the pads when you use them. You don't try to make the cursor go where you want it by doing extra work with the thumb. You must go into the settings and make them tight. Once the settings are right, its just like dialing in your sensitivity settings for an FPS.

Vorph, I'm pretty sure you're the Saints Row guy. Saints Row 4, is a sandbox of joy with the steam controller, I couldn't stop just navigating the game because it was such an incredible experience over simply using a gamepad. The way you can snap your view while super jumping and destroying shit is unmatched by any other control except playing the game with your mouse. But being able to tie the mouse to a joystick and the button layout? It is fucking incredible.

If any of you put in honest effort to get comfortable with a new control scheme/feel and spend time tweaking the steam controller. You will lament games that don't support simultaneous input and you will retire your old controllers

I don't shill many things, but I've played Fallout 4 (with terrible settings and no simultaneous input support), Rocket League, Helldivers, Wolfenstien: New Order (gyro), Saints Row 4 (amazing), Xcom 2 (Amazing), and DS2 Scholar edition (which I played with my 360 controller at launch). I game primarily on my PC - this thing is a better device - not to mention you can lazy browse web pages and shit and crappy navigate like you were just one hand mousing it. I'm not some garbage tier gamer who gets by either, its not for the novelty. The steam controller is a significant advantage in precision over dual analog sticks. The triggers are the best I've ever played with, the shoulder buttons are adaquate. The paddle buttons are extremely useful and 2 extra binds makes for some great customizations. I still use the joystick for movement, and the second haptic as a DPad is passable it will never feel like a tiny cross if you're super nostalgic for that shit, but its way more useful than the 360 dpad given the programmable nature of the face of the pad itself. I

Anyways - enjoy dark souls 3 - best of luck to any of you badasses who take the steam controller challenge, you really won't regret it.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Tried steam controller with DS1 last night, couldn't get used to it. Maybe I should just soldier on and really give it a shot.

Is there a particular config that you are using?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its unlocking now

As for steam controller configs, no clue yet. That's whats keeping me on the xbox controller for now.

Vorph

Glad I opted to preload, unpack is only going to take about 7 minutes.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It's just while it is getting started unpacking. Takes about 5 min on my SSD to unlock.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Lol ok, My game says ready to launch in approximately: more than 1 year. wth.
I had the same thing but it went out to like two years, so I just deleted it and am reinstalling. Like 30 minutes wait, no big deal.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Tried steam controller with DS1 last night, couldn't get used to it. Maybe I should just soldier on and really give it a shot.

Is there a particular config that you are using?
You really need to do more than just pick a config, If I was buying dark souls 3 at launch I could publish one. The issue is - you still need to go make sure the rotational settings, and zones of the face of the haptic and the sensitivity fit your individual handsize. If people really want a crash course in some of the settings I'll type more. I could publish my dark souls 2 config - but those things don't get any traction if its not one of the first to get popular, and I'm honestly not sure if you can just share configs, have to google that. If you treat the haptic pad like you would the OCD of dialing in mouse sensitivity for Quake or CS it will give back ten fold.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Mehhh

They still not fixed the crash bug.

Good luck getting past first bonfire. Apparently Knights have a less chance of crashing, but they might too. I started an Assassin because I want the safe fall spell to find secrets.

I got to rest at first bonfire, crashed. Go back, crash. Most crash once you get a view of it. Repeated tries can even corrupt your save (not that it matters 3 minutes into the game).

Some get past it, some don't. No idea what causes it.

EDIT: people saying crashes keep happening even after first bonfire. I reloaded, ran to boss, died, crashed.

Gonna go to bed and hopefully there is a patch by the time I get off work tomorrow.

Vorph

No crashes on the way to Firelink Shrine (not entirely clear on why class would matter but I started as a warrior), but I am having audio problems. Anytime I'm moving around the ambient sounds cut in and out, and it's enough to drive you nuts after a short while playing with headphones on. Had to stop playing to go look for a solution because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Finally lit it without crashing. Unsure if it had to do with using my "Nvidia Optimized" settings or not.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
heading home soon hope I don't come across that bug so I can play tonight

Vorph

I'm playing on a R9 290X, and an issue with Nvidia drivers seems much more likely than any of these weird ideas people on Steam/reddit/etc. have about the class or gift you start with.

That said, a few people are claiming that setting Lighting Quality to low fixes it for them.

No luck with the audio problem I'm having. Bunch of people on Steam with the same thing, but there doesn't appear to be any way to fix it. I found the save location and there's nothing in there except for a really simple xml file that stores the graphics settings and nothing else.