DayZ, Arma2, Arma3

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So I know that most of you say standalone sucks...does that mean it's gotten worse than when alpha came out, or it just hasn't changed much?
It's not bad. Each patch has improved things or added new features. However the combat portion has been stagnant, and the access to guns and/or magazines is just awful. I've spent hours running around with a handgun chambered with a single round, because you just can't find magazines for guns.

Mod version went in a much more fun, combat oriented direction, though to be fair its barely a zombie survival game anymore. In ARMA 3 Epoch drops zombies entirely. It's a mod unrelated to dayz.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's still -barely- playable. Every update is them adding more pointless clothing/food items/shit that doesn't really matter, while zombies remain a non-threat, ammo/weapons are still impossible to find, performance is awful, etc.

Play the mod until this time next year and check SA again.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Almost year 2 of Alpha.

Or is it even Alpha? I forget.

Anything good happening with this game?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Nope, literally nothing. They've added more dress-up options, and a sort of working truck. Zombies have been removed entirely due to "peformance" issues. The magical renderer update is nowhere in sight yet.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
jesusfriedchicken.jpg

DayZ minus Z

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I don't even know man. It blows me away just how much progress they've lost going from mod to the standalone, and just how much time has passed without them gettinganywherewith it. Last update on the new renderer (that is supposed to fix the performance being garbage, and allow for zombies again) is "summer, maybe" so we've got another 6+ months of the game just rotting in a basically unplayable state. I'm really not even sure if it'll ever get finished/launched at this point.

HUH_sl

shitlord
Sadly the PS4 version and the extra money that would bring in was the games only hope to see any real development. But even that was pretty much never going to happen with the developers track record. Just no reason to invest more money into completing a game when you've already sold it to 90% of your target market. Yay paying for alpha/beta's!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
An Corp!

.60 is out, pretty big patch. I'm re downloading now watching sacriel play on twitch. Tons of bugs still but this could turn it around??

edit: experimental servers

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
An Corp!

.60 is out, pretty big patch. I'm re downloading now watching sacriel play on twitch. Tons of bugs still but this could turn it around??

edit: experimental servers
No it won't.

New renderer has been a long time coming and the performance gains are fairly significant, but it's still too little too late. This is the first major update the game has had in...years? Since it went in to early access? Everything else has been item faffery and that shitty truck that still rockets to the moon if you hit a bump wrong.

I have absolutely 0 faith left in this game, especially when you the devs talking about their plans to add "realistic" magazine reloading animations, IE one bullet at a time in to a 30 round mag. That level of autism is just not something I can ever get behind.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Bumping this thread and expanding it to DayZ Standalone, Dayz Arma2 Mod, and Arma 3 mods in general.

Anyone been playing these? We had a pretty good active group in Arma 2 for a bit. My roommate, a coworker and myself have been playing a bunch of Arma 3.

Cybsled

I played the shit out of Dayz Epoch in Arma 2, but I stopped when a regular server I frequented went away (I had a massive skybase on the Cherno TV tower). I haven't tried any of the Arma 3 mods at all, especially after I heard Epoch in Arma 3 wasn't as good as Dayz Epoch in Arma 2.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I think Exile has been developed further than Epoch for Arma 3, or at least it has recently become more popular...at least that's my experience with both mods.

Arma 3 has a new expansion called Apex coming out next week. Looks pretty sweet. In recent weeks, A3 has released several patches to lay the groundwork for Apex, and these patches seem to have improved textures, UI, and performance quite a bit.

I played an excellent Scenario with a friend for a few months called "Antistasi Altis". It's basically a turf war expansion on the Altis map - very detailed and in depth. Can be done as single player, coop, or hosted on a multiplayer server.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
We've been playing Breaking Point, its been fantastic fun so far. The better graphics really improve the experience of camo helping and being able to sight people at far distances.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So an update. My roommate and I had been playing a lot of Breaking Point, but last night we tried King of the Hill which is a non-mod built in game mode for Arma3.

Holy shit is it fun. It's a three battle to hold a certain sector of the map. It has CS style earn money to buy gear/vehicles. The server we were playing on supported 120 players, a 3 fire fight of that size is just crazy. It's amazingly fun.