DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Does this show still suck? I haven't watched it yet but I didn't hear good things when it started so I never had it on my priority list.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it mathematically sucks less because one of the annoying characters is now dead. we just need to ditch hawk girl and the 2 fire bickerers and it should graduate up to decent.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sunspot was in Days of future past?

Also, yes there has been much complaining about xmen movies doing it. Xavier time stop, psylocke, and spike being different people, Kitty having time travel powers for some reason, etc, etc.
Wolverine origins, deadpool, and Frost.
Even new deadpool, with Negasonic being Cannonball.

It does get pointed out. in cases of it getting in the way of the plot, it becomes a real problem.
In the original DoFP, Kitty was sent back to her younger body by Rachel Summers. In the movie timeline Jean and Cyclops didn't live long enough for Rachel to be born. Having Kitty instead have the time travel powers barely changes the story at all, although XMen constantly being the Wolverine show gets old. I don't know what the Psylocke complaint is, but Xavier demonstrated his time stop ability back in 1975 when he saved Nightcrawler from an angry mob. Origins was garbage from start to finish and who the fuck cares about Spike?

And in none of these cases does it get in the way of the plot.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
In the original DoFP, Kitty was sent back to her younger body by Rachel Summers. In the movie timeline Jean and Cyclops didn't live long enough for Rachel to be born. Having Kitty instead have the time travel powers barely changes the story at all, although XMen constantly being the Wolverine show gets old. I don't know what the Psylocke complaint is, but Xavier demonstrated his time stop ability back in 1975 when he saved Nightcrawler from an angry mob. Origins was garbage from start to finish and who the fuck cares about Spike?

And in none of these cases does it get in the way of the plot.
Those characters you brought up didn't lose their powers, they gained some. Firestorm apparently has lost molecular manipulation, super strength, invulnerability and rapid regeneration. Also, as far as we know it, there's no anti life equation manipulation either. On top of all of that, he's also lost his personality. The only thing he shares in common with the comic book version is flight and his name. Hell, even his power blasts look different. They now look like fireballs, which makes him even more like a Human Torch clone.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Those characters you brought up didn't lose their powers, they gained some. Firestorm apparently has lost molecular manipulation, super strength, invulnerability and rapid regeneration. Also, as far as we know it, there's no anti life equation manipulation either. On top of all of that, he's also lost his personality. The only thing he shares in common with the comic book version is flight and his name. Hell, even his power blasts look different. They now look like fireballs, which makes him even more like a Human Torch clone.
I didn't bring those up, Caliane did. And, just like Firestorm, none of their power changes actually affect the plot at all. And again, Darkseid level powers have absolutely no place in the Arrowverse. I assume they picked Firestorm for the uniqueness of two people sharing a body, and aside from that just made him into a typical blaster. Although I now finally understand that the root of your complaint is a comic book nerd nitpicky thing, which I totally empathize with even if I disagree in this specific example.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Although I now finally understand that the root of your complaint is a comic book nerd nitpicky thing, which I totally empathize with even if I disagree in this specific example.
This is not comic book nerd nitpicky. Firestorm is so nerfed, that it would be like capping the Flash's speed at 100 MPH. They should have picked another character in the DCU instead of Firestorm. They could have picked any midtier character.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok, for the sake of argument, how many other 'two people in one body' characters are there in DC? Because if he's Darkseid level in the comics and just generic flying blaster in the show, the two people thing has to be the only reason they picked him.

Or I suppose they could have picked some other character with a unique hook, but they got 3 entire episodes almost entirely from the two people thing, and I really enjoyed Stein and Raymond. I even liked Jax during his Flash episode, just not onLegends.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok, for the sake of argument, how many other 'two people in one body' characters are there in DC? Because if he's Darkseid level in the comics and just generic flying blaster in the show, the two people thing has to be the only reason they picked him.
But they screwed up the two people in one body thing. The original Firestorm was interesting, because Ronnie Raymond was a jock who wasn't intelligent, and he needed the Professor's advice on how to use his powers. To do anything other than concussive blasts, he needed someone to lecture him on physics and chemistry, while in combat. He wasn't interesting because there were two people in him, he was interesting because they were polar opposites that had to agree, to unleash his higher level of power. His kryptonite was the fact that he needed to pay attention to science while fighting, and the "dumb jock" would rather swing with his fists. To me, this is the biggest change in the character.

It sounds weird, but it worked. They were the odd couple, but in one body, and the more they argued, the weaker he was. If he wanted to be anything other than a "generic flying blaster" it would come from them being a team. The TV version of FS is nowhere near as nuanced.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not directly copying the comics isn't screwing up.
Making a character infinitely less interesting is.

Stan Lee said it best. If you want to have a successful superhero show or movie, you have to make what worked in the comics work in that show or movie. The essence of the character must remain.

Right now, this is the Captain Cold and Heat Wave show. The other characters are vanilla versions of themselves (FS being the worst offender). They've bleached these characters, and that's why there's the hate for this show.

Column_sl

shitlord
LOL at Cold saying he never kills any of his crew. Didn't he kill one of his team in the first episode he aired in.

And that guy we saw in the slipstream on the Flash was definitely not

Diggle, it ended up being Connor Hawke (Oliver's son) in the year 2046

Sevens

Log Wizard
But they screwed up the two people in one body thing. The original Firestorm was interesting, because Ronnie Raymond was a jock who wasn't intelligent, and he needed the Professor's advice on how to use his powers. To do anything other than concussive blasts, he needed someone to lecture him on physics and chemistry, while in combat. He wasn't interesting because there were two people in him, he was interesting because they were polar opposites that had to agree, to unleash his higher level of power. His kryptonite was the fact that he needed to pay attention to science while fighting, and the "dumb jock" would rather swing with his fists. To me, this is the biggest change in the character.

It sounds weird, but it worked. They were the odd couple, but in one body, and the more they argued, the weaker he was. If he wanted to be anything other than a "generic flying blaster" it would come from them being a team. The TV version of FS is nowhere near as nuanced.
In the show they still bicker and fight, Jax still refuses to listen to Stein so yeah they are nothing more than a blaster right now...when Jax does listen to Stein they can absorb the blast from a Nuke....they are still learning, Jax is a stubborn hot head who wont listen so its holding them back, hopefully they will start to learn to work together and unleash the full power of The Firestorm Matrix

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I liked the part where Cold said this wasn't his first prison break. Also, Soviet Firestorm was pretty hot (no pun intended).

This is all I can picture happening next episode though:

Caliane

gave on up this weeks ago.

but turned it on tonight.

Entire team just ran away from 1 guy with a bow and arrow. LOOLOOLLOOL.