DDO (D&D Online)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Have a look here if you're interested in strong and/or exploity builds.

The official forums also have a lot of great builds posted, but there's more crap to wade through to find them, and you won't see certain builds talked about much.

I'd be wary of Vault builds as well as they usually assume you have tons of greensteal mats banked or don't mind slogging through 20 levels of a shit boring class before you are even decent. Official forum builds are 9/10 of the time out of date and/or retarded.

Strimtom is probably the best 'newbie build' poster on the official forums. Basically any post that includes a list of ideal gear you should avoid.

Noahx

N00b
Rob Cicc is a good dude - lots of guys there are solid, great gamers, etc. Wish DDO could draw me in - I love 5th ed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There's apparently a 75% off sale on the Shadowfell and MotU expansions. Would it be a good idea to pick those up now if one wanted to try the game, or are they superfluous?

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
There's apparently a 75% off sale on the Shadowfell and MotU expansions. Would it be a good idea to pick those up now if one wanted to try the game, or are they superfluous?

This is coming from someone that played 6 years ago, and is coming back to play without the monthly subscription. On paper 75% off sales are pretty solid when you look at the DDO point cost and what it would cost you to get the DDO points that come with them, and the extras such as the xp tomes that are pretty costly as well. If you do get the multiple packs, add them to your cart individually. It overcharges if you click the "add this as well!" button at checkout.

Personally I got:
Shadowfell conspiracy collectors edition (Gets you content packs, 3 "hero" characters, 3 extra character slots, 2k store points, +2 skill tome. Also gives you Tome of EPIC learning which is pricey, but be careful it goes only on the first character you redeem the rewards on in game, so make sure it's a character you are going to be running lvl 20+ content on. Personally I messed up as I redeemed on a character that i'm just going to be TR'ing over and over)

Menace of the Underdark (same Schpiel but a lvl 1-20 xp tome instead)

Starter pack: Cheap, but nice for solo cheesing for extra mana by summoning the permanent cleric npc every 5 minutes for extra mana/heals.

So for 23 bucks this comes with some nice stuff and you still have 3250 store points to buy adventure packs, or get some nice Quality of life stuff that's behind a paywall.

Also something I discovered, there's no way to tell which adventures you actually own in the in game "quest" list. So keep a notes on which you actually own.

Last edited:

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Also something I discovered, there's no way to tell which adventures you actually own in the in game "quest" list. So keep a notes on which you actually own.

You can email support and they will give you a list of your packs. It's pants on head retarded that they revamped their entire store system but didn't take the opportunity to make it better in any way, shape or form. That's DDO for you though.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Reaper mode is now available in response to people crying about how ezmoad the game has become.

Can select from Reaper1-10 which scales a handful of things:

Mob damage goes up
Mob DC's go up
Crowd Control doesn't last as long
Player damage goes down
Player self-healing goes down

"Reapers" spawn randomly through the dungeon as well and they do various things like tic damage or teleport to melee and try to gank them.

Reaper 1 is not much harder then elite is now. Doing up to reaper4 or so is pretty fun because you go slow, have to heal each other, encourages teamwork and coordination.

On reaper 10 players are hitting for about 10% normal damage, can't self heal and mobs are one-shotting even the tankiest builds. It's still a massive cheese fest because all you do is spam short-duration multi-proc CC's (like EarthQuake which only CC's for 3 seconds but does so every second for 20+ seconds). Anything you can't knock down with EarthQuake or dance with Otto's you just kite since mobs still run slower then players.

You gain reaper XP for beating dungeons that can be used to get more damage/health/whatever in reaper dungeons only. The first few points you can get in a day or two (I'm at 10 in about a week). However, the xp per point scales stupidly. Someone calculated you'd have to play reaper dungeons like a day job for 22 years to max them out.

------

Anyone interested in playing can roll up on the Sarlona server. Look for anybody in the Bathory Hordes guild and ask for an invite. We're a max level guild, lots of players, all in our mid-30's or older so lots of tips on lawn care and dick jokes. We raid nightly but it's never required.

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, U35 added dragon race, and the next update due out this week or next gives Artficers a minor first update that makes 1 of their 2 trees stop sucking. Rune Arms are getting a huge buff. And Arcane Archer exploit is being fixed after I don't know how many years.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
They did really cheese up the game with faceroll over the years. I'd suggest any group that wants the best dungeon crawl experience with the game to not read too many build guides, and only use what they actually loot, keep the group closed no AH, no warlocks, and have one person research which adventures are enjoyable. Shit, you might not even want to limit the use of the talent trees. Essentially the current difficulty is about 1/10th what it used to be due to cheeseball stuff they added, but the good gameplay is still possible if you know what to not use.

Edit: This is in reference to the 1-20 gameplay, and ignores raiding because fuck raiding.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
If you're looking for a challenge, DDO isn't it. I like it because it recaptures that old EQ feel, but without all the rancid queefs that play EQ now. Everybody is super chill and on our server at least we have a Chinese guild for everybody to hate.

The nice thing though is that because of the faceroll, you really can play any build you want now. The power builds can still destroy content and charm builds in end game are just hilarious. Nothing like watching a boss mob that takes players 20 minutes to kill, die in 20 seconds with charms.

But if you want to roll up a bow druid and paralyzing arrow your way to victory, then by all means.

I agree though. The game is best played with a static group of 3~4 people whenever you can, fill the rest of the slots with pubbies and just fail your way to victory with whatever stupid builds you can come up with on your own.

• 1Solidarity

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If you're looking for a challenge, DDO isn't it. I like it because it recaptures that old EQ feel, but without all the rancid queefs that play EQ now. Everybody is super chill and on our server at least we have a Chinese guild for everybody to hate.

The nice thing though is that because of the faceroll, you really can play any build you want now. The power builds can still destroy content and charm builds in end game are just hilarious. Nothing like watching a boss mob that takes players 20 minutes to kill, die in 20 seconds with charms.

But if you want to roll up a bow druid and paralyzing arrow your way to victory, then by all means.

I agree though. The game is best played with a static group of 3~4 people whenever you can, fill the rest of the slots with pubbies and just fail your way to victory with whatever stupid builds you can come up with on your own.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun, haha.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Ravenloft expansion is due out in a couple weeks. Two new raids, a bunch of new quests. As you would expect it has a very Castlevania feel to it. So far it's shaping up to look pretty cool. The handful of people still working at SSG are doing a pretty good job keeping the game going and the content has taken a noticeable uptick in quality since Torc came back and is designing dungeons again.

Big new draw is the Sentient Weapon feature. It allows you to augment nearly any named weapon with a gem that gives it a personality (talks to you while questing) and gives you various bonuses. You can also level it up by feeding it other named loot that drops.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've played DDO on and off for years since its release. However, my last experience was with the Underdark expansion. I played it for a few weeks and quit because the friend I played with didn't enjoy the game. I have always loved it, but it's a lot less fun alone. Especially because I play(ed) a pure rogue. I'm pretty sure I made it to 25 and had a decent number of whatever the "AA's" were. Admittedly, I have very little group experience because I just preferred to use hirelings to "solo" quests than do them with randoms. However, my general knowledge of the game has suffered as a result of the isolation. I'm sure I could look it up, but for example; I don't even really know how the TR's work. DDO is a very min/max game and hunting down all the relevant minutiae is tedious. However, I'd seriously consider going all-in if there was an experienced and active player to kind-of act like a mentor.

Ravenloft has caught my interest and I am very seriously considering a reinstall. What kind of condition are rogues in right now?

Last edited:

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
ddo wiki and the ddo forums have all the min max info you will ever need. Rogues have multiple viable specs to play with. Mechanic is one of my favorites. If you go INT you get good ranged DPS and can pick pretty much all the locks.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ddo wiki and the ddo forums have all the min max info you will ever need. Rogues have multiple viable specs to play with. Mechanic is one of my favorites. If you go INT you get good ranged DPS and can pick pretty much all the locks.

I'm installing now and I've been reading multiple wikis for the past hour, but everything I've come across thus far is too general, intended for truly new players, or addresses the end-game. I can't remember what kind of gear my rogue had, but I'm fairly confident I was not well geared for my level.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I'm installing now and I've been reading multiple wikis for the past hour, but everything I've come across thus far is too general, intended for truly new players, or addresses the end-game. I can't remember what kind of gear my rogue had, but I'm fairly confident I was not well geared for my level.

Best advice I can give as a long time DDO player is not to worry too much about min maxing, just go kill stuff. Groups should be easy enough to find ( i am on Orien ). Once you get a few dungeons under your belt you will start seeing drops ( loot has changed quite a bit ) and you will understand what the new loot categories and stats are.

When I return it usually takes me a couple levels to figure it out again.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Ravenloft is a lot of fun. The quests are gorgeous and creepy as fuck. They really nailed it I think. Easily the best Castlevania game of the last decade so I was right in that regard. Going into Castle Ravenloft and exploring every nook and cranny is an old school dungeon crawl feel that few other games are even capable of creating. The Abbey, the Citadel, the Amber Temple, every single location looks and feels amazing. The loot is nice too, it's a big reset/catch up against people who have loads of perfect crafted loot.

I'm pretty surprised to be honest. After the shit-tier quality content that came back in March with Newcomers I was pretty close to giving up on the game. Ravenloft is just...perfect.

Now if only we'd get that UI revamp they keep teasing us with.

If anybody wants, we have a pretty active guild on Sarlona you're all welcome to join provided you're not a spaz.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Update 38 is out.

New stuff:

- Druid rework. Wolves and Bears now get their own talent trees. Both now can get ridiculous DPS legitimately. Still suck balls to level though.
- New Artificer tree focused on being a melee/healing/tanking hybrid. It's basically a shitty version of bard but with healing grenades.
- A new adventure pack. Not the best quality but they're quick and easy reaper XP if you have a good group. The loot is okay.
- They finally fixed CC-breaking abilities to actually break CC.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ravenloft is a lot of fun. The quests are gorgeous and creepy as fuck. They really nailed it I think. Easily the best Castlevania game of the last decade so I was right in that regard. Going into Castle Ravenloft and exploring every nook and cranny is an old school dungeon crawl feel that few other games are even capable of creating. The Abbey, the Citadel, the Amber Temple, every single location looks and feels amazing. The loot is nice too, it's a big reset/catch up against people who have loads of perfect crafted loot.

I'm pretty surprised to be honest. After the shit-tier quality content that came back in March with Newcomers I was pretty close to giving up on the game. Ravenloft is just...perfect.

Now if only we'd get that UI revamp they keep teasing us with.

If anybody wants, we have a pretty active guild on Sarlona you're all welcome to join provided you're not a spaz.

But does Castle Ravenloft have an invisible vanishing tile maze?

That's the main reason I could never fucking switch servers, you can kiss my ass if you think I'm giving up my lvl 1 30% striding.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
U39 released this week. The new dungeon is pretty cool when you don't crash loading into it.

You can have a falcon as a permanent unkillable dps pet now too.

All 4 of us still playing DDO are ecstatic.