Deadpool (2016)

Jait

Molten Core Raider
This is actually more or less verbatim how Reynolds describes the studio's involvement. "R rating. Here's your release date and a check. Don't fuck up."
That's exactly how it was until they watched dailies. They spent a fuckton on advertising. That's what you do when you realize you have a winner, and they have many Jews.. err I mean people working around the clock coming up with the exact # that gets them the most return.

I would go so far as to say of the "60m" budget they spent 10m making the film, then they realized holy shit this is good and threw in A LOT more for CGI bringing it up to around 20-25m. The rest is 100% marketing. But lets not be retarded and think they spent anywhere near 200m. C'mon.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The rule of thumb in Hollywood is to spend an additional 50% of the production cost of a movie on marketing but that has been trending upwards. They probably went well over that since it was only budgeted $60 million for production. I seriously doubt they went orders of magnitude over it though.
Yup. According to box office mojo, the budget was 58 million.
Btw, went to see the widest opening in R rated movies list and i didn't realize that matrix reloaded was rated R. Wtf?!?

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Great Movie, just got back from seeing it. Hopefully they make more of these, its well deserving of a sequel.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Did they have a lot of commercial advertising for this movie? I know they must have spent quite a bit on that "Monday Madness" thing but most of the advertising I've seen has been YouTube videos and I wouldn't be surprised if RR and the other people involved did that for "free" because it seems to me everyone involved was just having a lot of fun with this project

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Well the women got to see dick, and the one titty I wanted to see I couldn't! I give it an A+ anyways.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think it probably seems like a massive load of advertising because they're advertising in places that this crowd frequents.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
More likely just well targeted advertising. Not exactly a secret that to internet nerddom comic books and video games go hand in hand.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I think it probably seems like a massive load of advertising because they're advertising in places that this crowd frequents.
5m for 1 Super Bowl commercial was enough for me to realize it was a heavy campaign. But I didn't see much other than that (viral though) either.

Caliane

yeah, alot of the viral stuff is super cheap. the Superbowl commercial, sure. but, not much other commercials. no product ties? toys, etc.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
A lot of the viral stuff is smaller scale than it seems. One billboard is cheap and it gives the impression of them doing billboards all over the place because of Twitter/Reddit coverage even though it's probably just one billboard.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Thought it was great, definitely a lot of jokes and references that went over my friends head since they arent huge comic buffs. Cant wait for the sequel that wont spend a huge chunk of the movie doing the origin.

1. Thought Weasel and Blind Al would be in the movie more
2. Ajax was a decent villain and not as bad as everything I read from the reviews
3. I really wanted the action sequences not to be interrupted with flash backs
4. Colossus and Negasonic were great

Great adaption, I just hope that Weasel ends up being his gadget man and Wade gets his belt. Ugh, going to be a long wait
Deadpool Movie Opening Weekend Projections Rise To $90 Million Plus | Comicbook.com

Eonan

Doer of Things
Just got back from it and really enjoyed it. Only time I felt something was hamfisted was the chimichanga's line, but it was forgivable. I was laughing my ass off when god damn Hydra-Bob showed up, about half of my theatre understood the reference, the others likely thought we were crazy. I enjoyed Colossus, thought the CGI for him was well done and the voice acting was quite good. God damn if I didn't want to see Gina Carano's tits, we were soooo close
frown.png

I enjoyed the post credits scene and look forward to the next one, only thing that was missing from this movie that I was kind of hoping they'd touch on was his relationship with Death (as she plays a prominent role in the "origin story" that they went with).

EDIT: I second Homsar's views on Blind Al and Weasel.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You guys didn't watch the after credit scene?

Deadpool says in it that a sequel is coming and will include Cable.
I saw, but I think the point is more that you can draw that conclusion w/o needing to even see it

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
ok so now that i'm not posting from my phone. If you've read the leaked script from 2010,

this movie follows it nearly verbatim, with a handful of additions/subtractions:
They added Negasonic Teenage Warhead and removed one of the bad guys (wire), they changed the other henchman to a woman. omg feminism. not really, this added more jokes and didn't harm anything
They added the Fox Xmen tie in stuff, ie he visits Xavier's school, we see the blackbird, etc. This was probably at the direction of Fox leaving it open to bring deadpool over to the xmen cinematic universe (not sure how that would happen). Again added some laughs and the commentary about comic book movies there was priceless.
Not as much Blind Al interactions as the script. In the script he initially forgets his ammo bag (when he's limited to 18 bullets on the opening highway fight scene) which leads to a cutaway of blind Al tripping over it while making ikea furniture. They took that bit out because later they reused the same bit
They cut/changed the final battle scene a great deal. This was probably due to budget constraints. Had no idea they only had a 58 million dollar budget. The final fight in the script is almost a shot for shot parody of "The Matrix" shoot out scene in the office building, where deadpool goes through like 900 different guns, including triple barrel 9mm handguns, fully auto AA-12 shotgun with frag explosive shells, and a Kriss .45 submachine gun. basically all the guns he had in the bag, another bag full of ammo. He kills a truly astonishing number of people. just a gratuitous amount of killing playing on the tropes of endless supplies of bad guy henchmen in these kind of films. Instead they used the above "where'd I leave my bag" gag for the taxi scene and ended up with just sword fight against a much smaller number of henchman. The basics of the final fight scene are the same though, his girl in the chamber on the roof of a building, or in this case on the roof of an air craft carrier being salvaged? idk.

I was going to say this is the funniest comic book movie i've ever seen, but really I'm having trouble remembering a funnier movie of any genre. Seriously this is the funniest movie i've ever seen. And it's got titties and vulgarity and wanton violence and fantastic action sequences. it's just tits. going to go see it again this weekend.

Malkav

French Madman
ok so now that i'm not posting from my phone. If you've read the leaked script from 2010,

this movie follows it nearly verbatim, with a handful of additions/subtractions:
They added Negasonic Teenage Warhead and removed one of the bad guys (wire), they changed the other henchman to a woman. omg feminism. not really, this added more jokes and didn't harm anything
They added the Fox Xmen tie in stuff, ie he visits Xavier's school, we see the blackbird, etc. This was probably at the direction of Fox leaving it open to bring deadpool over to the xmen cinematic universe (not sure how that would happen). Again added some laughs and the commentary about comic book movies there was priceless.
Not as much Blind Al interactions as the script. In the script he initially forgets his ammo bag (when he's limited to 18 bullets on the opening highway fight scene) which leads to a cutaway of blind Al tripping over it while making ikea furniture. They took that bit out because later they reused the same bit
They cut/changed the final battle scene a great deal. This was probably due to budget constraints. Had no idea they only had a 58 million dollar budget. The final fight in the script is almost a shot for shot parody of "The Matrix" shoot out scene in the office building, where deadpool goes through like 900 different guns, including triple barrel 9mm handguns, fully auto AA-12 shotgun with frag explosive shells, and a Kriss .45 submachine gun. basically all the guns he had in the bag, another bag full of ammo. He kills a truly astonishing number of people. just a gratuitous amount of killing playing on the tropes of endless supplies of bad guy henchmen in these kind of films. Instead they used the above "where'd I leave my bag" gag for the taxi scene and ended up with just sword fight against a much smaller number of henchman. The basics of the final fight scene are the same though, his girl in the chamber on the roof of a building, or in this case on the roof of an air craft carrier being salvaged? idk.

I was going to say this is the funniest comic book movie i've ever seen, but really I'm having trouble remembering a funnier movie of any genre. Seriously this is the funniest movie i've ever seen. And it's got titties and vulgarity and wanton violence and fantastic action sequences. it's just tits. going to go see it again this weekend.
They went on record and said that when they saw the leaked script, Fox asked them to cut like 7 millions from the budget for them to greenlight it. And they specifically mentioned things like
having him forget his guns in the taxi instead of having a huge shout-out
as being part of what was cut yeah.