Poll December's Retro Game of the Month

What game should we play and discuss in December?

• Super Punch Out (SNES)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Beyond Oasis (Genesis)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Shining Force 2 (Genesis)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Maniac Mansion (Commodore 64 or NES)

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Demon's Crest (SNES)

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Breath of Fire (SNES)

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Nox (Windows PC)

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Earthworm Jim (SNES or Genesis)

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Metroid and Super Metroid (NES and SNES)

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Here's the crop of nominations for December's RGOTM.

This time we've got a C64 game in the bunch, although it's also available on NES so it's still pretty accessible. A 2000 Windows game, too, which has no nostalgic value for me but it got some solidarities so I included it. There are also a few lengthy RPGs there, if we feel like tackling a game that'll take more than a few sessions to complete. And I grouped Metroid & Super Metroid together because why not.

Personally, I wouldn't mind tackling Demon's Crest. It's a fine game that went under the radar for a lot of people. Having said that, there are plenty of great choices here so get voting!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you've never played phantasy star games they essentially were the sister games to final fantasy. PS1 AND FF1 actually came out one day apart in Japan.

Phantasy star is a more futuristic version of the older FF games with PS4 being the finale in the series before it went into those online games. You don't miss anything by playing 4 before the others as the stories only vaguely intermingle with common themes and names (again like FF).

Phantasy Star 2 is my personal favorite rpg of all time but phantasy star 4 is definitely considered by most to be the best in the series.

I'm a huge fanboy of the series so I voted for that without hesitation.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Szlia

I was checking which game I own and which I don't and of course I have Phantasy Star 1,2,3 but not IV... It also made me realize that I don't own the Beyond Oasis cart, but that I actually beat it on the official emulator! I totally forgot about that!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have the Sega Genesis collection for PS3 and it has all 4 phantasy star games and some others. Also retropie

Sonic generations mayve? Whatever it's called

Szlia

Getting the game is no issue (couple bucks on Steam), it's just the Murphy's Law effect that I found amusing. I also don't have Maniac Mansion, Nox and Earthworm Jim, but that's less surprising :)

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Getting the game is no issue (couple bucks on Steam), it's just the Murphy's Law effect that I found amusing. I also don't have Maniac Mansion, Nox and Earthworm Jim, but that's less surprising :)
Earthworm Jim is available on Steam, but unfortunately it's the worst possible version of the game. You get the graphics of the Genesis version with none of the Genesis-exclusive levels and none of the Sega CD Special Edition features, and it ain't cheap either (11 bucks CDN). Very disappointing. The game deserves much better.

Ruhl

Boner Donor
Golden Axe Warrior or Golvellius were 2 of my most favorite games for the Master System, along with Phantasy Star 1. All great choices for January

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Golden Axe Warrior or Golvellius were 2 of my most favorite games for the Master System, along with Phantasy Star 1. All great choices for January
I was a SNES guy, so I only played a few Genesis RPGs at my Sega buddys' house once in a while. My first Phantasy Star was III, and I loved it. The graphics were crisp and vibrant, the soundtrack was impactful, and it had a sense of progress (at least for the bit I played). It wasn't until many years later that I learned III is considered one of the weaker entries in the series.

I bought Phantasy Star Collection for GBA years ago specifically so I could start the series proper with the original game. Unfortunately, there's a weird bug in this port where any time you save the game you run the risk of the game freezing and forcing you to restart from your previous save. Every time you make progress you risk losing that progress just by trying to save your game. Apparently you can work the system by timing your menu selection with certain points in the BGM to ensure your game won't freeze. I haven't tested that yet though. I'm still pissed that I was essentially playing Russian Roulette every time I wanted to save my game. Really soured me on the Phantasy Star 1 experience.

Having said that, I hear PSIV is the best in the series and I'd be happy to give it a good go. I own both the cartridge and the Steam Genesis Classics version (which is the one I'd almost certainly end up playing). I haven't JRPGed in a while but this would be as good a reason as any to dive into a game I know very little about but hear is great.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Coincidentally the US GBA collection sucks because for whatever reason they cut PS4. They kept PS3 which is kind of a shitty game. Art style, music, combat, and story are very weird. Had a cool system where you choose between two woman to marry at the end of each chapter and the offspring is then your new main character (hence the name generations of doom)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I was a SNES guy, so I only played a few Genesis RPGs at my Sega buddys' house once in a while. My first Phantasy Star was III, and I loved it.

100% same exact experience. I had a SNES and grew up with Final Fantasy and Actraiser and such and my buddy Jeremy up the hill had a Sega Genesis with some cool fighting game I can't recall and Phantasy Star. My first time ever on a Sega was with Phantasy Star. Sonic shortly thereafter.

I want to try to play some of these games but am not sure how much time I have to do so. I still like reading all of your stories about the game as you play through it.

These threads are great, well done.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I too loved PS3 as a kid. I thought the whole generations thing was so cool and to this day I still think it is a pretty original concept. The fact that it was the first PS game I played may have something to do with it. That or me never making it past the very first area in PS2. I was pretty young, but I remember spending a good hour trying to figure out where to go only to say fuck it and traded the game to my friend for Rocket Knight adventures. Maybe one day i'll go back to see how stupid I was. Also never played 4, having a hard time getting through jrpgs these days so I am hesitant to give it a vote.

Nostalgia dictates I vote for Shining Force 2, one of my favorite games all time that I barely remember the nuances of. A replay is long past due for me. Leaning towards Demon Crest and Earthworm jim as well, never played either but look like fun.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
4 is a great game, and yet another where I decided to give the final boss a go and ended up winning with one character alive and almost no hp. Literally the exact same thing happened in both my Shining Force 1 and 2 playthroughs; didn't grind at all and just wanted to see the fight and ended up doing the -exact- same combination of moves. Everyone but the MC is dead, Boss has a couple of hp left and I die before I get another turn for sure. I move up, do the attack animation... miss. Cue me about to toss my controller when I see "Second attack!" and proceed to kill the boss. Effectively the same thing happened when I beat PS4.

I'd play through it again, as it has been a long time since I've played through it.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Voted for Earthworm Jim just to get a change of genre from the November game. However, I've never touched a Phantasy Star game (the current poll leader) so I'd be happy to give it a shot.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
2 lengthy RPGs in a holiday month? No thanks. I'll flip a coin!