Poll December's Retro Game of the Month

What game should we play and discuss in December?

• Super Punch Out (SNES)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Beyond Oasis (Genesis)

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Shining Force 2 (Genesis)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • Maniac Mansion (Commodore 64 or NES)

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Demon's Crest (SNES)

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Breath of Fire (SNES)

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Nox (Windows PC)

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Earthworm Jim (SNES or Genesis)

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Metroid and Super Metroid (NES and SNES)

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Oh man, currently Playing Breath of the Wild and spent 50 hours on Mario Odyssey. Phantasy Star IV is going to consume me.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Looks like our winner is Phantasy Star IV! I've never played it more than a couple of minutes before, so I'm looking forward to getting into it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Name me a good Genesis emulator I guess? I never had a Genesis back in the day and I think have played exactly 0 games on it, so this should be interesting.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Name me a good Genesis emulator I guess? I never had a Genesis back in the day and I think have played exactly 0 games on it, so this should be interesting.
I haven't compared, but the one I've got is Fusion64, which I admit I barely used. Conversely, you can buy Phantasy Star IV for a few bucks (currently $3.29 CDN) on Steam. That's probably the version I'll be playing since I got is as part of a large Genesis game bundle a ways back. I'll do my best to avoid abusing save states, hopefully the game won't tempt me to use them!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
GENS was the emulator I used a little over a decade ago. With the right additions and version, you could play Sega CD games on it with zero slowdown, even then. A good chunk of the Genesis games are part of the SEGA steam packs like Tanoomba said. I think one of the packages has like... almost all of the Genesis games we mentioned in this thread. Phantasy Stars 2-4, Shining Force 2, Beyond Oasis, Story of Thor, and a couple of others.

Oorrr they cost 2.99 each with the pack, or 61.99 for all of them as a bundle. I think I spent like 10 bucks on the package I got, and it has like 16 games or so. =/

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
I am not using save states or guides for the games we are choosing. I'm sure next month we'll pick a Japanese design from hell game to make me rethink my life choices.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I am not using save states or guides for the games we are choosing. I'm sure next month we'll pick a Japanese design from hell game to make me rethink my life choices.

I'm with you! I think it's more fun (ok...maybe sometimes crossing into frustrating) to get as close to the original experience as possible.

• 1Solidarity

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
I'll be like a Taiwanese gamer on a three day binge with Breath of Wild and Phantasy Star IV this weekend.

The fridge is stocked. The beer is cold. The scotch is neat. Great way to welcome in December.

• 1Solidarity