Depression

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since this is the grown up section, the mods should be backtracing where you live to get you help and intervention before you follow through with hurting yourself.

On the other hand I've always heard that truly suicidal people don't bring it up or seem sad, they seem happy and fulfilled because they have finally found a "solution" to their misery. Then they off themselves and everyone is surprised.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
On the other hand I've always heard that truly suicidal people don't bring it up or seem sad, they seem happy and fulfilled because they have finally found a "solution" to their misery. Then they off themselves and everyone is surprised.
I would agree with this from my personal experience. That's why I always have a hard time condemning suicide as easily as others might. Even if they did leave behind family and those that cared for them(which is almost always the case), a "solution" as you put it, is very appealing.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Since this is the grown up section, the mods should be backtracing where you live to get you help and intervention before you follow through with hurting yourself.

So people should be worried if I'm in an uncharacteristically good mood?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
aTaIPls.jpg

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
got an appointment with a counselor. not sure when. psychiatrist was pushing for more drugs prescriptions.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
they are gonna contact my family doctor and set a date. it is truly shit, but not a lot of direct access to this type of health care. all this took like a year.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Anyone had any good experience of which type of/locations of holidays which help with the depression?

I'm considering quitting my stessful job (it's fine, I'm a supply teacher in a shortage subject I'll get another fairly quickly when needed) and going travelling or at least a holiday since I haven't had a real one in something like 10 years. I need to relax.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
Anyone had any good experience of which type of/locations of holidays which help with the depression?

I'm considering quitting my stessful job (it's fine, I'm a supply teacher in a shortage subject I'll get another fairly quickly when needed) and going travelling or at least a holiday since I haven't had a real one in something like 10 years. I need to relax.
A lot of people really benefit around the colder holidays (Christmas, New Years, Etc.) from a sad light (one of these badboys;Amazon.com: Day-Light Classic 10,000 LUX SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Lamp (DL930): Health Personal Care). Even if you don't think you have SAD, it's worth trying out it or something similar.

I gave this answer because there is no specific location or holiday that "helps" with depression. I think that's all personal. For some people, Thanksgiving makes you want to kill yourself. For others, it's a wonderful time for turkey.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have a brother in law that's going through depression right now, and has resorted to pills, and alcohol. None of which has done anything other than land him in the hospital, and then a short stint in a mental health hospital. They prescribed him on cymbalta (sp?) and another drug, and he was raving how he's gotten the best nights sleep ever while in the hospital.

Gets released, gets home, and in less than a week pops his entire bottle of sleeping pills that had been prescribed, and downs another bottle of liquor he had hidden in the house.

He's got 2 younger teenage boys, and a wife, and I want to just write off the entire family for being selfish, liars, and stupid, but as it's my wife's brother I can't really do that. Damn this shit makes me angry.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
A lot of people really benefit around the colder holidays (Christmas, New Years, Etc.) from a sad light (one of these badboys;Amazon.com: Day-Light Classic 10,000 LUX SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Lamp (DL930): Health Personal Care). Even if you don't think you have SAD, it's worth trying out it or something similar.

I gave this answer because there is no specific location or holiday that "helps" with depression. I think that's all personal. For some people, Thanksgiving makes you want to kill yourself. For others, it's a wonderful time for turkey.
You're thinking the wrong kind of holidays. Holidays = euro term for vacation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My grandmother died a week ago and my mother is not handling it well. For those who know from previous threads, she has attempted suicide ~5 (sad when you forget how many) times over as many years. My grandmother was cremated, so we just had this catered gathering where we released balloons with messages on them (kinda gay, not going to lie). My mother was HAMMERED and gave the worst speech I've ever heard. Immediately ran inside, found her at the bar. The entire event was from 3PM-6PM. At 5PM she was cut off from the bar. She then fell off the stool and broke some ribs. She also fell into a wall and got a welt on her forehead.

Very sad to see her like this. Clearly depressed, clearly an alcoholic, and clearly has more problems than anyone can imagine. She flew down to FL the other day to another rehab center, something we've gone through 10+ times. I feel like I'm on the show Intervention sometimes, yet it's on repeat.

I think the worst thing is I am numb to it. The first time I was called at work and told "your mother is in the hospital for attempting suicide, she has a 5% chance to live", I was an emotional wreck. The next time she had a 1% chance and I was equally a wreck. The subsequent attempts I totally stopped caring at all. Sometimes I think it would be better if there was a success. Does that make me a piece of shit? All the meanwhile, my siblings and I are trying to start careers, families, and moving on - she literally drags everyone down into her games.

Anyways not really asking for advice, just felt like I needed to vent this shit.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My grandmother died a week ago and my mother is not handling it well. For those who know from previous threads, she has attempted suicide ~5 (sad when you forget how many) times over as many years. My grandmother was cremated, so we just had this catered gathering where we released balloons with messages on them (kinda gay, not going to lie). My mother was HAMMERED and gave the worst speech I've ever heard. Immediately ran inside, found her at the bar. The entire event was from 3PM-6PM. At 5PM she was cut off from the bar. She then fell off the stool and broke some ribs. She also fell into a wall and got a welt on her forehead.

Very sad to see her like this. Clearly depressed, clearly an alcoholic, and clearly has more problems than anyone can imagine. She flew down to FL the other day to another rehab center, something we've gone through 10+ times. I feel like I'm on the show Intervention sometimes, yet it's on repeat.

I think the worst thing is I am numb to it. The first time I was called at work and told "your mother is in the hospital for attempting suicide, she has a 5% chance to live", I was an emotional wreck. The next time she had a 1% chance and I was equally a wreck. The subsequent attempts I totally stopped caring at all. Sometimes I think it would be better if there was a success. Does that make me a piece of shit? All the meanwhile, my siblings and I are trying to start careers, families, and moving on - she literally drags everyone down into her games.

Anyways not really asking for advice, just felt like I needed to vent this shit.
Sorry to hear this, but serious question: How do you fail at suicide five times? Maybe it's time to just fucking live already.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>

I know this is horrible thing to say but it is possible she wants attentions or somebody with her. probably feel like everyone is leaving her and she is not able to process that properly. trying to suicide and not being able to do it 5 times is, well, not really a suicide at that point.