Depression

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
First off, you are in a relatively good position because your depression is not chronic in the sense it has been instigated by life events. If you had been suffering depression on and off throughout life it would be of far greater concern. I was in a very similar position in 2012-- I was watching my mom waste away from Cancer while simultaneously being burdened with far greater responsibility and stress at work. Trying to balance by work responsibilities while dealing with my mom was an anxiety and guilt filled nightmare, and towards the end I was smoking a pack a day in addition to self medicating myself with an entire bottle of wine just so I could fall asleep. It reached the point where my philosophy on life was "what's the point? You just slave at work all your life only to waste away and painfully die in the end". Then when she finally passed, the depression only deepened and the insomnia became chronic, with both items feeding each other in a vicious circle.

The things that finally helped me were the following:

1) Weed (when I could get it in buttfuck Texas) cured the insomnia which in turn helped the depression. Doctors had prescribed Ambien and Lunesta which were ineffective in keeping me asleep, and though Trazodone initially worked it became quickly ineffective. All these drugs also left me lethargic in the morning and weed didn't. Not condoning you start a marijuana habit, just telling you what worked for me. There's actually a dedicated insomnia thread I started because it was killing me.

2) Exercise helped. It wasn't the panacea for me like it seems to be for others, but it did help.

3) Wellbutrin. I took this to stop smoking but one of the side effects was a greatly increased energy level. Depression caused extremely low energy, which in turn translated into no motivation. The Wellbutrin made me feel "energized" and hence want to do things, which in turn helped the depression. It also didn't fuck with my behavior at all unlike the drugs mentioned below.

4) Vacation. I forced myself to finally take vacation and swore that it would be a "real" vacation, not one where I am completely stressed out by work and responding to emails from the beach. I went alone and used this week to entirely relax, see some beauty in the world, and ponder life.

Things that didn't work or make things worse:

1) Seretonin based drugs. This was the first thing my GP tried to push on me, and though I was very much against them, I was desperate and willing to try anything. These drugs were horrible and seriously fuck with your behavior and memory, and not in a good way. They also fuck with your dick. I spent one week on pristiq and one on Lexapro and told my doc I'd rather be depressed than take that shit.

2) Alcohol. This is actually the worst because it creates the illusion that you feel better, but it actually makes things worse by fucking with your sleep quality and worsening your depression.

3) New\old hobbies, but ONLY after I started feeling better. Initially I didn't have the energy/motivation to do them.

It took about six months after my life issues resolved and I started doing the things above that I felt a lot better. The depression has been replaced by apathy which is far less worse but still a problem. After seeing my mother horribly die right before my eyes something permanently "broke" and since then I feel almost nothing. No joy, but no unhappiness either-- just apathy. Nothing seems to affect me whether good or bad. I always thought it would be great to feel no emotion, but honestly it sucks.

Good luck and I hope you feel better. Like I said your depression stems from life events rather than being an ongoing pathological issue, so I think you have a good chance of getting a handle on it through relatively non extreme means.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
arent anti depressants bad for you?

ive been prescribed that shit and never took it, because to me its only going to be 100x worse when i dont have the pill.
All drugs with effects have side effects. It's the nature of things. If you're really down, AD might help for a while, but it can never stand alone - exercise, diet (e.g. eating right, not for weight loss) and counseling are recommended, synergy.

Regardless, I'd go talk to a physician, who knows it might be iron deficiency or whatnot, Tarrant - get standard blood works done and evaluation.

Stave

Potato del Grande
It's funny I stumbled across this thread. I just came to the realization yesterday that I too am going through depression. I told my wife about it, and am going to go see a Dr in the next few weeks.

Warning, I am going to go into a rant below, but it feels good to vent man.

This last year has been a rough one at home and at work, coupled with the barrage of stressors over the last 5 years with our family and her ex's family, and trying to stay strong and keep shit together for my family, it has just worn me out, etc. Anyways I started a new position last fall at the company I have been with for 10 years, in their IT department, working at one of the largest midwest hospital chains. I finally broke into the field without any degree and wanted it for the invaluable experience hoping to use it as a springboard into a well paying IT career in a year or 2. We were a local hospital and are are in the middle of a huge merger of companies and we run 4000+ computers between 6 guys (I was told industry standards high end is 300 computers per IT guy, we are running about 700 per guy, and 100+ printers per guy). Anyways, all was good the first 6 months, but we are at a point now, where we not only have to maintain our systems which in itself requires almost 50-60 hours a week with skipping lunch, just to keep from drowning, and then on top of it, we have been shoveled all these new shitstorms because of the merger, like domain migration of 4000+ computers we had to touch every one, 800+ printer subnetting again touching 4000+ pc's, which we barely got through with our sanity, and now we have an entire new main application system coming, replacing 2000+ computers that are too old, windows xp EoL reloading 4000+ pc's with Win 7 with highly specialized programs that take probably 3 hours each to set up all the apps, connecting to databases etc, baring no problems, and that's with imaging them. About 500 new computers coming in, renaming hostnames of these 4000+ pcs manually, not remotely, doing an entire manual on-site inventory of each and every machine, etc, all within the next 8 months or so. On top of this, we even had to unload some full semi's a couple weeks ago to unload some of the corporate IT head honcho's shit because they didn't want to wait for the regular truck unloaders to get to their truck. It's fucking ridiculous.

It maybe wouldn't be so bad, but we aren't really paid well at all, about as much as a manager at a fast food restaurant would make. We help the CEO and Chairman out all the time and stuff and they tell us how invaluable and awesome we are and how this place wouldn't run without us, yet they refuse to give us any more. To top it all off, this is the first year we are part of the new company, and we all got a letter the other day saying that due to failures to reach fiscal goals, no one is getting raises this year. It is at the point where, some of the guys who are the real ass-kissing go-getters and do every project with a smile, are even so pissed off because we have had our workload and responsibilities essentially tripled, and are doing projects that people in the field that normally get paid the big bucks, should be doing. Our office morale is literally shit. Our boss has even noticed this and has been trying to take us out for lunch, and wants to take us all out on his pontoon next weekend to a sandbar grillout/party/jet skis/fishing, etc. Now we have 3 of our senior guys applying for new jobs and a couple of them will be leaving soon for sure as they got new jobs lined up. They went and asked our boss for a raise, and he told them he can't get them any more and if you don't like it, there's the door. And this is coming from a boss who is normally cool shit and throws keggers at his house for the team regularly. We lost 1 guy about 6 months ago and it took about 3 months to even get approval to replace his position, and now we can't get any worthwhile applicants to accept the job due to the low pay.

It has gotten to the point where every day I come to work, I am 2-3 weeks behind and working on that old broken stuff and people are all pissed off but it's the fastest we can go, and we haven't even touched the new projects yet. Stressed wouldn't even describe it. Stressed was 3 months ago. Then to top it off, some of the guys that are going to be quitting, are literally pulling 60-80 hours a week, and if we go from 6 guys to 3, we will be literally doubling to tripling our workloads. And the other day one of the guys leaving, jumped me saying I am not pulling enough overtime to help the team out and said I should be a team player and be there all the time like the few of them that are. He said that I seem like I just don't care, and that if I want to work in the IT field, it is a 24/7 field and I should expect to work 80 hours a week. He was saying too it sucks we don't get paid enough, but we can stick it to them by working overtime, because then we get the raise we deserve (time and a half OT) and we should just work as much as we can, like 80-100 hours because it will fuck the man. Like this literally was his logic. I was like WTF man, I put in OT all the time and skip my lunches, and give up family time a lot just to try to help out, and I told him how I have come to the point where I have realized I can only do so much, I am only 1 person, and no matter what they shovel on me I will just keep my nose to the grindstone and go at the pace I'm going because I cannot literally go any faster, and I explained to him how the seeming like I don't care, is because the stress would keep me up at night, and I came to a point where I refuse to let it do that to me anymore, because it's just not worth it, and they can't afford to fire me, so I don't let it stress me out and maybe that's why I seem like I don't care, but I do care, but I can only do so much and refuse to let it eat at me anymore. Without coming out and saying it directly I was trying to imply I am not going to let myself be used and abused by a corporation with a smile. I am here to work, to make wages to support my family, not to make the company more money, or save them money buy allowing them to Chinese sweatshop our asses so they don't have to hire the actual needed staff. I was hired for 40 hours a week, mon-fri 8-5 and no OT required but offered if I want, and I already am helping them out more than I should be, and I refuse to let them assfuck me at shit wages just so they can make more money. Also, my wife works some evenings, and I stay home and watch the kids, and cannot work some of these times anyways, and they all knew that when I took the job. And he had the balls to make the comment well maybe I need to arrange some daycare to watch my kids so I can come in. Yeah, cuz I am going to fucking pay someone to watch my kids, so I can be away from my family more, and go make literally a couple bucks an hour after daycare fees, to help the 'company' out more. Anyways, the dude is an asskissing fucker, who has a wife and kid at home and has no problem not seeing them hardly ever, so I wasn't going to devulge much to him as I don't know if hes a talker or not, but he is the one that will for sure be leaving in the next few weeks as he got a new job at a new company, so I got dirt on him anyways. But, there has been secret talk amongst the guys that if they can't hire another person, they may raise the starting wage, which would not include a raise for us, which would mean we would be making less than the new person. But, again, I took this job as a springboard, more for the experience than the money, hoping to get a couple years experience in the IT field (and I am getting some invaluable experience with things like domain migration, subnetting, etc) and hopefully land a career salary job somewhere without needing a college degree/certs, and I intend to stick it out and do this, it just sucks in the meantime.

And this isn't even touching on the home-life stress. Dealing with a lot of shit over the last few years, dealing with immigration for my wife, dealing with her crazy ex who is an inmate, and his family always trying to cause problems for us by things like making crazy false reports year in and year out to social services and stuff trying to cause us problems, and they come here every time and see nothing is wrong and write it off, but never do anything against them because they have to take every report serious, etc. Plus he gets out of prison after 7 years, next month, for literally trying to kill us all. And then trying to stay strong for my family as my wife falls apart from the stress, etc, and it has just worn on me badly.

But going back to the depression, I have noticed I am tired all the time, I get off work after 10 hour days or so and literally want to nap/sleep and I have no sexual urges anymore, and can barely get out of bed in the morning, the alarm clock barely wakes me up anymore. Games, which have always been a huge part of my life and excited me, aren't even fun to me anymore, I even went on a vacation and didn't enjoy it that much, and the only thing that has really brought me enjoyment recently, was buying stuff. Like buying some new computer parts on sale, that I didn't really even need, and buying sales during this last steam sale, buying a new phone, bought a new pistol, etc. It's like a small, short burst of happiness, then I need to find something else to buy, and I know some spending is okay but it could also get out of hand spending money we don't have. I have 0 energy and have a hard time even doing shit like yardwork or cleaning around the house, etc. I don't even want to leave the house, and after doing some heavy thinking the other day, thought to myself, if I were to keel over, would I really even care? It would be some nice rest, I could stop the shit grind of life. Then it just kind of clicked on me, I am depressed. So anyways, I told my wife, that was hard, and she said she was worrying about the lack of any sex drive, etc. She has had depression in the past so she understood, and I am set up to go see my doctor soon, and hopefully go from there. But I am in one heck of a funk and hoping there is some solution for me. And I know exercise, at least at this point, is not an option for me, as I literally have no energy, and my motivation is such shit I can hardly leave the house, let alone get myself to work out, which in the past even when I wasn't depressed, never really liked to do anyways. But at least I know what is causing my depression. Unfortunately I cannot change the causes of it right now really, but I can hopefully get on something that will help me deal with it better. And after typing this and re-reading it, damn I should have seen the warning flags months ago.

Also just out of curiosity, you guys in the IT field, I know there are some here. Is there good value in experience over formal education in the IT field? I am hoping that by putting up with this shit, I will be able to have a killer resume in a year from now, and be able to hopefully get a job at an electric company or gas company, or refinery, or bank or better yet a govt job. Is there hope for me without a degree and certs? Will I be able to coast on a couple years of experience and the experience of domain migration/subnetting/win 7 migration/merger, etc? Everyone around here knows the name of our hospital, so name dropping that will be a bonus as everyone knows about the big "merger". And all the guys that worked my position prior to me, have all moved on to good salary careers, but I think they all had degrees. Because if this shit doesn't pan out, I may just quit my job and my wife can go to full-time work and make probably more than me, and I will just be a stay at home dad/and android/indie game programmer and try to make a supplemental income making android games or some shit, something I enjoy doing, but don't have the time to.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
No amount of experience is worth a job that is quite literally killing you.

Get the fuck out of that job, man.

Scyfi

N00b
arent anti depressants bad for you?

ive been prescribed that shit and never took it, because to me its only going to be 100x worse when i dont have the pill.
The purpose of the pill is to force your body to produce the right amount of chemicals, hence why it is called a chemical imbalance. The pills are not meant to be taken forever and each one affects a different chemical. They either cause you to produce more of something or they stop your body from using a chemical so you body produces less of it. If you are on pills for more than 2-3 years you are probably not taking the right shit or you are seriously fucked up, or your doctor isn't doing his job and taking you off them.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
The purpose of the pill is to force your body to produce the right amount of chemicals, hence why it is called a chemical imbalance. The pills are not meant to be taken forever and each one affects a different chemical. They either cause you to produce more of something or they stop your body from using a chemical so you body produces less of it. If you are on pills for more than 2-3 years you are probably not taking the right shit or you are seriously fucked up, or your doctor isn't doing his job and taking you off them.
Psychiatric medication does not create long term change. "Chemical imbalance" is a layman's explanation, and not actually a good description. Finally, each pill does not affect specific chemicals. Terms like the "selective" in SSRI are very, very misleading. They all affect multiple systems, and are classified according to what they seem to affect most. Even SSRIs differ amongst each other, which shouldn't make sense if "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors" was the whole explanation.

Therapy leads to long term change. Medication leads to short term change. In moderate to severe cases, therapy+medication is optimal. See a doc

To Tarrant: everyone goes through periods where life sucks and they feel down. Do your best and wait it out. There are no simply solutions. If it becomes a problem that isn't going away, see a therapist, don't ask a forum where everyone suddenly is an armchair doctor.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I was just wondering how those who go through it handle it, I wasn't asking for medical advice to follow blindly. It's a discussion forum and this what what I felt like having a discussion about.
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I do not or have not ever had it, but my mother's side of the family seems pretty stricken with it (including my brother). It's a strange beast, and when you don't suffer from it it's really hard to understand those that do. It's not really any advice I guess, but just how I see it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sorry to hear your troubles, Tarrant and Stave.

My recommendation to Stave would be to find a new job and my recommendation to Tarrant would be to fuck your wife like an animal.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Reading what Stave wrote has made me depressed.

Get the hell out of that job dude. What use is an killer CV when it is literally killing you in getting it?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You can do some gardening, it's very fulfilling and relaxing.

And by gardening I mean builds some gardens in front of the minecraft cathedral.