Desktop Computers

Fadaar

That guy
Being single helps
biggrin.png
In the military and BAH is $860 or something like that for my rank and my rent is only $525... and I split it with a roommate. I may only make like 30 grand a year but 20 grand of that is my dick around money!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Great deal on a Geforce 670. Under $300 after rebate, don't know that I've ever seen a 670 dip under $300 before. Basically puts it at the same price as the 660Ti.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...aYKEPxwRxSycGA

The only negative I can see at all is having just 1 fan instead of 2 on a lot of models of 670, so don't expect a ton of overclocking.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah, going to do gpu and cpu myself. Using a i7-920 and a 5850 both are still doing great but starting to not meet recommended specs on new games.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
If your processor is atleast an i5, or i7, regardless of generation its plenty of CPU for games. GPU is where the real limitations are these days.

I've made peace with the fact that short of major hardware change ups I'm gonna be using my i5-2500K for years to come.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
So whats the final verdict on Haswell, Currently running a Core2Duo e8400, yah its old but honestly I haven't played a newer game in ages and the thing is still snappy as hell with my SSD/8Gb Ram. Looking to upgrade but I am not sure if I should go for an Ivy Bridge or Haswell, prices are about the same so I'm leaning towards the new architecture but in general it seems the current Ivy Bridges are just as fast.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Well, if you don't feel you should upgrade then I wouldn't upgrade. The longer you wait the more you get for your money. As whether to get Ivy Bridge or Haswell, it really depends on what you are going to build.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If your processor is atleast an i5, or i7, regardless of generation its plenty of CPU for games. GPU is where the real limitations are these days.

I've made peace with the fact that short of major hardware change ups I'm gonna be using my i5-2500K for years to come.
Shit man, I'm still rocking a Q9550 like a boss. I'd probably get some noticeable performance out of an upgrade, but fuck it, most games I play are a couple years old anyways. Damn you Steam backlog.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I had a Q6600 that I just repalced this year and it ran all the games I played on it good, although it was starting to show its age with some of the newer games. But yeah, I had that fucker since like 2007. I hope I get the longevity out of my i5 2500K and the i5 3570k that I have now im my 2 systems.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I fully expect my i5 3570K to last me a good 5 years minimum. I'll probably upgrade my video card once or twice during that time frame, but that's about all.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Shit man, I'm still rocking a Q9550 like a boss. I'd probably get some noticeable performance out of an upgrade, but fuck it, most games I play are a couple years old anyways. Damn you Steam backlog.
This. I used to build a new system every 2 years, this ones rocking almost 4 I think and still serves me well for Steam games. I def want to upgrade for Witcher 3/Dragon Age 3

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Quite honestly, although the new proc was definitely a noticeable upgrade, the most performance gain I truly noticed was the SSD. Im betting an SSD would liven up any older computer, although obviously not help on games. Because if I didnt play games on my PC that q6600 computer with an addition of an SSD would serve just fine for a few more years.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yah I just added a 128gb Samsung SSD/1Tb Drive to replace my old 36gb WD Raptor/500gb Drive.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Hope that 1tb hdd was the single platter version because they're the shit. TheWD10EZEXI got is better than my old 2 x WD6400AAKS raid 0 and works in complete silence.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Your link is not working but I'm guessing you're linking to a WD Black model and yes, those are faster but I couldn't find one around these parts when I needed it.

edit : That's an awesome price for a custom cooled 7970 even if it's not the Ghz Edition. I don't think you'll find anything better for that price.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It's a damn good deal on a 7970, but you can also now get Geforce 670s for under $300 after rebate, so definitely consider that option as well. I linked one back near the top of this page. In all the benchmarks I see, the 7970 in faster is some games, the 670 is faster in others, performance-wise they are pretty much a wash, Id probably just go with whichever you can find cheaper, which looks to be the 670 right now(unless you have an aversion to rebates, some people do)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sapphires rock for AMD cards. I have owned several Sapphire cards and all of them ran like champs.