Desktop Computers

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't worry dude. I setup my monitors on boxes 3 years ago and I'll get that mount any day now

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Don't worry dude. I setup my monitors on boxes 3 years ago and I'll get that mount any day now

His boxes have flex appeal. They draw in the ladies like nothing else! What vape unit is that? I tried one for the first time the other day, and it burned my tonsils out.

1.gif

Argarth

On the verandah
I'd love to have one of those keypads but I'm not letting any form of Razer software near my PC. I wish I knew what I did with my old Belkin n52

Honestly the Razer software is fine these days imo.

You can disable unwanted features, disable (at least partly) the phone home stuff as well, and it has an almost non-existent CPU footprint. There are so many things sending telemetry all over the world these days, that I have basically stopped caring. More importantly for me, the Razer Synapse software does its job very well.

Revisiting this, in case someone is interested.

Seems I may have been far too generous in my appraisal of the Synapse software, heh. I've lost count of the number of updates they've pushed since that last post, but it hasn't ended up in a good place. I've been prepared to tolerate some of the "always on-line portal" nonsense, as long as the thing stayed quiet in the background and just did it's job.

Unfortunately, they seem to be just bolting on more "stuff" as per their "vision", and the CPU footprint has now increased to a point that it can't be ignored.

You get the 3 services that all have to be active together, and the 6 running processes in task manager. After some investigation, aside from the frequent network chat, FIVE of these are constantly hitting the system with thread creation/exit activity, even when idle at the desktop. The entirety of Windows is fast asleep by comparison.

So much going on that my CPU could no longer down-clock when not using Ryzen Master. (minimal installation, just Synapse and no other modules)

Fuck that noise! Un-installed and went looking for another solution. I love the hardware; been using these keypads for 15 years or so now.

Found Interception Driver & AutoHotInterception. Relatively straightforward to set up, and now I have the key-mapping power back without the bloat. Wish I'd looked into it earlier.

AH, that's better =D
Low Power Idle.PNG

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Okay, looking to upgrade from my GTX 950 to something that will allow me to play Warframe at max settings @ 1080p (monitor is actually a 16:10, 1200p I suppose). Anyway, seems like the GTX 1660 TI is the way to go. Anyone disagree before I order this bad boy?

Eye-balling this one:

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Ti AMP 6GB

P.S. I have an i7-8700K.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Personally I would spend the extra $150 or so and get into the 2070 line to be more future proof. But thats just me.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
or bide your time with 1080p with an RX 580 for $100 less.

1660 ti is a weird card cause it's like too good for 1080p but not good enough for 1440p.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
If one buys into the marketing, Intel's new laptop H-series can do something like 5GHz with 45W draw on 14nm process. This is probably for 5 seconds before burning whatever surface it sits on, and it almost certainly isn't at 45W draw.

This latest gossip is that Intel will suck well into 2021 with 14nm:
View attachment 204628

I am not a semi-conductor engineer, but as I understand it, process size means 2 things: more chips yield per wafer, and more efficient chips.

Intel is on the verge of falling behind for at least 2 years on supply, efficiency, and iGPU/APU tech.

Lisa Su wasn't kidding when she spoke of an inflection point. This is like the biggest development in tech, imo. And it's totally real, no AI, Automated Car, or Man on Mars futurist bullshit.

Feel free to correct my amateur's enthusiasm. I'm trying to wrap my head around AMD, the computer company I cheered while I was in Austin, actually coming into its own.
(*) See Intel Desktop Client Roadmap Leak

Intel fooked up hard. they're lucky they had such a significant IPC lead architecture wise. Their situation is hilariously bad and only getting worse. Seems they really screwed the pooch with overzealous density targets for their 10nm fabrication process: it smells like a dumpster fire of epic proportions. Their yields (number of defect free chips) must be so terribly bad they can only make tiny little dies which is why you only see small number of cores for slow, low clocking mobility parts instead of desktop parts.... 14 nm until 2022 (*) ? lol. Their next node will probably be close to ready by then and 10 nm+ will only see token products for investors' sakes. In the meantime AMD will be eating a LOT of their Server market-share cementing solid investments to be in a much more competitive position in Desktop, Server, Mobile and GPU.

Should be a big 2 years for AMD unless Rome hits a snafu.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yields for Canon Lake were so bad they had to disable the GPU and use an AMD part. I'm sure they will get a handle on things, but what a way to fuck up. Being first in fab to being ahead of GloFlo only is a real kick in the nuts.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Always buy evga. Always
A friend is insisting I buy a used Radeon RX 580. And, sure, there are plenty of 8GB models on eBay hovering around $130. But, man, I am skeptical of buying a used video card. Also, the majority of them are MSI and XFX which, from the handful of reviews I've read, are claiming they can be noisy cards. Which, I don't care how cheap it is, this is a non-starter. I must have a card that is quiet at full load.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
A friend is insisting I buy a used Radeon RX 580. And, sure, there are plenty of 8GB models on eBay hovering around $130. But, man, I am skeptical of buying a used video card. Also, the majority of them are MSI and XFX which, from the handful of reviews I've read, are claiming they can be noisy cards. Which, I don't care how cheap it is, this is a non-starter. I must have a card that is quiet at full load.

You have one of the best chips made (8700k) and youre putting a leaf blower engine in a bugatti. Save or just spend the bucks on a nice card. I have a 2070 rtx with that chip and its very fucking pretty.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah dude, dont go cheap. Buy some good shit that will not only work better but last you longer. If you go with a 2070, that shit will be good to go for years, especially at 1080p and even if you decide to upgrade to 1440p somewhere down the line it will handle it.

I used to be a proponent of the cheap card back in the era of the AMD cards when they didnt suck, but these AMD cards today suck. Both my kids I got the 560 or 570? whatever because they were cheap and supposed to work well with 1080p and man, they sucked. Many games had graphical glitches, shit framerates. They both upgraded to 1070 since and I have not heard a single thing from them (which is a good thing).

I got a 9600K and a 1070 and could not be happier for 1080p. 100+FPS in basically everything I play.