Desktop Computers

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Totally wrong. If you do nothing but game, lb per lb Intel still has AMD beaten. Its only wen you add in streaming and other productivity shit where multi core performance comes into play AMD takes the lead.

I would stake my i5 9600K 6 core that I have @ 5ghz over any of your 30 core AMD chips in pure game performance.

On top of this Intel is just easier. Plug and play. AMD is still janky as fuck. With Intel I didnt have to fuck around looking for new AMD 3 compatible boards, I did not have to flash my motherboard to latest, I did not have to buy expensive ass xt3900 ram or whatever the fuck. I plugged it all in and it just worked. Something that AMD still has to get right so people are not fucking around to make their shit work.

BTW the x3700 system I built for my kid is still runnig great, but there is still something fucked with how hot that chip gets. I looked that shit up to and im not the only one experiencing those problems with heat and AMD x3700

You are disregarding price for performance. And if we are being anecdotal, I have had zero issues with my Ryzen 5 3600 and 5700XT on an X470 board.

And I've definitely had issues with Intel in the past, because PC part manufacturers all suck sometimes.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Totally wrong. If you do nothing but game, lb per lb Intel still has AMD beaten. Its only wen you add in streaming and other productivity shit where multi core performance comes into play AMD takes the lead.

3700X v 9600K, both with 2080 TI & both with 1080 TI, Timespy:

3700X v 9600K, both with 2080 TI & both with 1080 TI, Firestrike:

3700X v 9600K, both with 2080 TI & both with 1080 TI, Firestrike Extreme:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Getting this:
747FA0E7-FFAF-4290-B654-8AB3989AD7A4.jpeg

Bought this:
44072665-2CCD-47FA-8E78-62E463D39CFA.jpeg

Something fucky?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont care about your 3dmark bullshit, show me some real game benchmarks. Oh and BTW, price vs performance this is a $230 Intel chip vs $350 AMD

9600Kvs3700x.PNG
9600Kvs3700x 2.PNG
9600Kvs3700x.PNG

Yep games still care about single thread performance and clock speeds, which AMD still cannot touch Intel on.

9600Kvs3700x 3.PNG

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I dont care about your 3dmark bullshit, show me some real game benchmarks. Oh and BTW, price vs performance this is a $230 Intel chip vs $350 AMD

Not sure what to tell you if you disregard across-the-board 3dMark results. You're the one mentioning the 3700X, but it's much the same result with the 3600X:

MIGA?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not sure what to tell you if you disregard across-the-board 3dMark results. You're the one mentioning the 3700X, but it's much the same result with the 3600X:

MIGA?

Because I dont build computers to test them and post 3dmark results, I build them to play games on. Those numbers dont mean anything to me. Again, show me some real world FPS test results in some real games. Bottom line Intel still shits on AMD chips regarding gaming. (but they have come closer) Add in some productivity in there and you got a case.

Regardless, this point is about some douche saying hurr, dont buy intel, hurr they are junk now, lul.

As you can tell I have both in my house I built. Im not a proc racist.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Because I dont build computers to test them and post 3dmark results, I build them to play games on. Those numbers dont mean anything to me. Again, show me some real world FPS test results in some real games. Bottom line Intel still shits on AMD chips regarding gaming. (but they have come closer) Add in some productivity in there and you got a case.

Regardless, this point is about some douche saying hurr, dont buy intel, hurr they are junk now, lul.

I don't subscribe to brand loyalty, either, but there is some merit to 3dMark because the top scores are tweaked systems and competitive. IMO, 3DMark scores represent better uses of the hardware than the typical reviewer's.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
3700X v 9600K, both with 2080 TI & both with 1080 TI, Timespy:

3700X v 9600K, both with 2080 TI & both with 1080 TI, Firestrike:

3700X v 9600K, both with 2080 TI & both with 1080 TI, Firestrike Extreme:

Overall, in non-CPU bound games, and at stock speeds, they are essentially the same in performance. The Intel will overclock higher, and single core, the Intel has a bit more performance. Plus the Intel costs $94 less if you were to buy them from Amazon. Knowing what your computing needs are should be a factor in determining the hardware you purchase. If you're playing CPU bound games, the AMD's extra cores might make more sense than Intel.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Now show me a game that utilizes six cores on a proc let alone 12 or 16. When a game is CPU bound, its usually because its fucked and DOES NOT utilize the cores in an efficient manner. Some games that come to mind are Planetsidde 2, Hawken, Arma 3... The Division 2 had some funky shit going on....Those games are CPU bound becuse they are programmed to utilize one core. (maybe this changed in some of these games since)

This is exactly why as a gamer you would want a higher clock speed, because if the shitty game youre playing is only working on one core, you want that core to operate as fast as possible.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
I don't think gamers should want a thread count barely above old quad cores with all the headaches it'll inevitably cause in a few years. Just because something doesn't run well on your I5 doesn't make it shitty.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don't think gamers should want a thread count barely above old quad cores with all the headaches it'll inevitably cause in a few years. Just because something doesn't run well on your I5 doesn't make it shitty.

Its a good point, but honestly if youre not doing any production type shit on your PC I think 6 cores is plenty for games and general internet fuckery. Most games are specifically made with consoles in mind, and to utilize 4 or less cores. It will probably take the next gen consoles, if they even employ more cores than they do now, to see the next leap in game design vs core count. My bet is they stay with the current 8 core type APU setup but much faster cores, of course, and beefier graphics, probably more memory too. Remember games need to be made for the lowest common denominator, not $3000 PCs with 8+ cores and 16+ threads which is way overkill today for any game. Look at the steam average PC specs if youre in doubt. You still have over 25% peeps sporting 1 or 2 cores. With the vast majority, 55% still having 4. 8 core cpu is still in the two percentile.

And if im wrong, it will be probably time to upgrade in 2021+ anyway /shrug.

Still its a good point to bring up. Honestly if I had more cash to spend when I upgraded to my 6 core i5, I would of probably got the 8/16 i7 but alas I did not have the cash at the time. So I went with the i5.

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah

I'm not a CPU racist or fanboy either. My snappy one-liner was aimed squarely at Intel for only now getting around to discounting some of their desktop processors.

What I could have said in more words was: FUCK INTEL, they don't deserve anyone's money. They've been getting fatter and lazier for nearly a decade now, and haven't released a truly impressive desktop CPU since the 2600K. That was nearly NINE years ago. I had one (overclocked), and replaced it recently with the 2700X. Intel finally has some really serious competition on their hands, and they've been sandbagging for so long, that they have nothing new or innovative to offer in reply, and probably won't have for some time to come.

As far as I'm concerned they should have to pay the piper now, should be extremely embarrassed about it for as long as possible, and just maybe, they might learn a lesson.

There's only a single case where giving Intel money might make sense to me right now; if I was building a Top Shelf, 1080p only, Competitive FPS rig w/Ultra High refresh monitor.
I don't even game at 1080p anymore and I'm certainly no "Shroud wannabe", so they have nothing to offer me at any price.

Also, many games properly utilise all 16 threads on my 2700X. To name just a few; Witcher 3, Battlefield 1, the Tomb Raider games, DOOM, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Destiny 2.

Guess I'm a douche. =P

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider

Interesting 34" widescreen, not sure about the company tho.
  • 3440 x 1440
  • 144 Hz
  • AMD's FreeSync
  • 1500R curvature
Price - ¥2,500 (~ $312) seems pretty good if it reviews well.

Bit late to this. The company is mainly known for smartphones here, check out the Xiaomi phones. I imagine their monitor will not be total shit.