Desktop Computers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was lucky to score a desk from my parents. They just said to come and pick it up if you want it or else they are gonna find someone else to give it to one day. Solid darker honey oak constructed bottom, including oak dovetail drawers, Six drawers, 3 on each side plus a big thin drawer in the middle. The roughly 65"x38"x2" top is sandwiched ply covered with dark wood grain formica which is great for a desk because it cleans so easy plus it does not stain. I would peg it at 1970s for age. They just dont make shit like this anymore and if they do it would be like a grand if not more.

Honestly though I would chek your local Costco for a desk if in the market. I mentioned it here before but I picked up one for my kid for about $250 and its solid wood also, but there are some parts of it that are press board covered in wood veneer, like the side and rear aprons, but at least the legs, leg supports, and top are solid wood. I think it was called a "writing desk".

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
When I made my desk I used galvanized pipe from a reuse center. Took me awhile to find a chunk of wood tho. Finally got a big piece for $150 with some knicks in it. Ended up spending a little over $200.

IMG_20191118_131713.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I was lucky to score a desk from my parents. They just said to come and pick it up if you want it or else they are gonna find someone else to give it to one day. Solid darker honey oak constructed bottom, including oak dovetail drawers, Six drawers, 3 on each side plus a big thin drawer in the middle. The roughly 65"x38"x2" top is sandwiched ply covered with dark wood grain formica which is great for a desk because it cleans so easy plus it does not stain. I would peg it at 1970s for age. They just dont make shit like this anymore and if they do it would be like a grand if not more.

I looked around at a couple of local consignment shops looking for a solid wood old desk, but unfortunately couldn’t find any. I’d seen some really nice ones there in the past but didn’t jump on them. Was hoping to get something like that (I generally try to avoid cheap stuff.)
Also I may move up to the Sac area from the Bay sometime this year and I didn’t want to go too nuts.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I dont look at a case as office furniture or a glorified lamp with all the LED shit. I look for economical roomy, does it come with some free fans? How many? Does it have a back panel acess? front usb and headphone? And last one I bought for I think $60 which was the Coolermaster HEF was plenty roomy, came with 3 120mm CM fans and no bullshit LED windows or any of that kid stuff.

I tried to find replacement fans without LEDS but the ones with LEDs were cheaper. So I bought them lol.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I tried to find replacement fans without LEDS but the ones with LEDs were cheaper. So I bought them lol.

Thats cool if it does not bother you, to each their own. I like my gaming space dark for the most part and I would hate flashing lights and sparkles and shit emanating from my box.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thats cool if it does not bother you, to each their own. I like my gaming space dark for the most part and I would hate flashing lights and sparkles and shit emanating from my box.

The box is down by my feet and facing away from me so its hard to notice.

I've had my desk for 7 years now. It's a desk taken from one of the computer labs or engineering schools at UT Austin. Super big, sturdy and convenient. Cost me $35. The superior desk!

Essentially its this:

The one I have is just twice the size and has curved edge so its nice on the wrists. Do recommend.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Ha, Dell just called about my price guarantee. They’re giving me the $250, which is the correct number. Darn, Ajay couldn’t get me the $600 after all, but that’s okay.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Got it in and set up. Now to download a bunch of stuff / updates drivers / etc.

Gotta say that 34" screen is a lot to take in when you're maximized on Chrome. Will probably learn to stop habitually maximizing things.

1 - U8xeLjj.jpg

2 - bzmm5Wc.jpg

3 - zaZ7TXq.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users